Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My staffy dizzy has a bloated stomach.She is healthy.Full of beans playfull. This is causing me for concern.She was sick on a few accasions but not now.Her stomach is also grumbling as if she is hungry but she only eating a bit of food.She is drinking as normal too I did take to the vet but she didnt know what it is. she has iregular breathing too. but the vet wasnt too concerned she is still doing her toilet bussinessAnybody any idea what it could be?At the moment she is playing in the garden. :?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
How old is she? Sounds like worms.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bloated stomach

Kasco said:
Hi thanks for a speedy reply.My dizzy is seven yrs old.Come to think about it its been a while since shes being wormed.She is a chocaholic and loves sweets.Children are always giving them to her. when im not around she will take them out the childrens hands( Gently may i stress) shes a gentle baby.If you think its worms i will go and get her some wormers tonite.And she is passing wind.Which absalutly hums!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Normally puppies have worms not adults unless you do not keep her on a preventative and if that is the case then yea it could be worms.They need to be on a preventative year round for worms,they have once a month pills you give to prevent worms.With your vet not knowing what it is and her having irregular breathing I would take her to another vet for a second opinion.I dont think I would ever be comfortable leaving the vets office not having any answers to what is wrong,something is just not right there.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Kelly - that's heartworms that you give monthly preventative for. Intestinal worms is something different - there's no preventative. Most of the time you see worms, it's a puppy thing, but there are several types of worms that are contagious and live in the soil for a while, so if you walk your dog where another has pooped, they can pick it up on their paws, then lick at them, and poof! - case of worms.

I would get a poop sample and take that to the vet to have them take a look. (You have to take it in within two hours, though.) If your vet sent you home with no answers when you know something is wrong with your pup, I would keep pressing or find another vet.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
augrad said:
Kelly - that's heartworms that you give monthly preventative for. Intestinal worms is something different - there's no preventative. Most of the time you see worms, it's a puppy thing, but there are several types of worms that are contagious and live in the soil for a while, so if you walk your dog where another has pooped, they can pick it up on their paws, then lick at them, and poof! - case of worms.

I would get a poop sample and take that to the vet to have them take a look. (You have to take it in within two hours, though.) If your vet sent you home with no answers when you know something is wrong with your pup, I would keep pressing or find another vet.

Ewwww,I knew there was different worms but I thought it was taken care of by the pills,huh,learn something new everyday.Thanks for the info

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually, that's not entirely true. Interceptor kills most intestinal parasites as well as heartworms. And, yes it is a monthly preventative. All wormers, whether Interceptor, Heartguard, Strongid or the over the counter stuff from Wal-Mart needs to be giving on a monthly basis in order for it to work properly.

MollyMae states its been a while since Dizzy has been wormed, so I agree with the rest of you in thinking its intestinal parasites. The good news is that intestinal parasites can be eliminated within a couple of biweekly treatments. To make sure the dog is free of worms, the vet will need to take a poop sample. They can get a tiny sample right there in their office to look at under the microscope. It's real quick and easy, and fresh.

The most common signs of intestinal parasites are the distended belly and "speghetti" droppings. These are the worms and they look just like dried speghetti.

The bad news is if you don't treat it soon, the worms will grow and could cause the dog some serious health problems and maybe even death. The worms are eating the dogs food and growing within the intestines. The dog is not getting any nutrition and is hungry though the belly looks full.

The even worse news is that your KIDS could get hook worms as well. Growing up barefoot and in Florida, I can tell you from personal experience that hookworms are NO fun for a kid. To cure the kid, you need to completely cover the infected area with fingernail polish for 2-3 weeks until all signs of redness are gone.

Intestinal parasites can be found in dogs and cats of all ages and is passed mostly through the feces. However, the eggs can linger in the carpet or in the soil for years waiting to infect something else. If you have a cat, you should start it on wormer as well as a precaution.

I can't believe your vet didn't do a quicky poop test!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
sjBurns said:
The even worse news is that your KIDS could get hook worms as well. Growing up barefoot and in Florida, I can tell you from personal experience that hookworms are NO fun for a kid. To cure the kid, you need to completely cover the infected area with fingernail polish for 2-3 weeks until all signs of redness are gone.
I thought Hook worms attached their self to th einside of the intestinal wall?

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Hook worms can not only invade your family pet, but can also infect people. Hook worms infect both pets and people in the same way, by penetrating the skin. It begins at a larvae stage and will find its way through the skin, the liver and on to the lungs of whomever it invades. The hook worm, a 1/4- to 1/2-inch long parasite, will also attach to the small intestine and continue to mature."

http://www.allaboutworms.com/hook-worms

This is a really good site if you want to learn about worms of ANY type, but especially parasitic worms. I dare to state, it would be extremely hard for anyone reading up on parasites of any sort to forget the monthly preventative to their forever friends.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
thanks for the info I know about the tape & the puppy round worms . I test mine and I have never had any problem with worms
there are so many kinds. Hard to keep track of which does which. I know that I read somewhere that Humans can also get heartworms too I also saw it on TV . I never knew that before. I thought that was the only one that only dogs got. But its enough to make you crinch.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: bloated stomach

maggiemay48 said:
Kasco said:
Hi thanks for a speedy reply.My dizzy is seven yrs old.Come to think about it its been a while since shes being wormed.She is a chocaholic and loves sweets.Children are always giving them to her. when im not around she will take them out the childrens hands( Gently may i stress) shes a gentle baby.If you think its worms i will go and get her some wormers tonite.And she is passing wind.Which absalutly hums!
Chocolate is very bad for dogs. You need to make sure your kids are not giving the dog chocolate.
http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bloated stomach

sjburns said:
Actually, that's not entirely true. Interceptor kills most intestinal parasites as well as heartworms. And, yes it is a monthly preventative. All wormers, whether Interceptor, Heartguard, Strongid or the over the counter stuff from Wal-Mart needs to be giving on a monthly basis in order for it to work properly.

MollyMae states its been a while since Dizzy has been wormed, so I agree with the rest of you in thinking its intestinal parasites. The good news is that intestinal parasites can be eliminated within a couple of biweekly treatments. To make sure the dog is free of worms, the vet will need to take a poop sample. They can get a tiny sample right there in their office to look at under the microscope. It's real quick and easy, and fresh.

The most common signs of intestinal parasites are the distended belly and "speghetti" droppings. These are the worms and they look just like dried speghetti.

The bad news is if you don't treat it soon, the worms will grow and could cause the dog some serious health problems and maybe even death. The worms are eating the dogs food and growing within the intestines. The dog is not getting any nutrition and is hungry though the belly looks full.

Intestinal parasites can be found in dogs and cats of all ages and is passed mostly through the feces. However, the eggs can linger in the carpet or in the soil for years waiting to infect something else. If you have a cat, you should start it on wormer as well as a precaution.

I can't believe your vet didn't do a quicky poop test!
Hi i took dizzy to a other vets few miles away this morning not happy with what the other said when they seen her they kept her there to do a scan and blood tests Cause they not sure what it is.I have to ring this afternoon at 4.00 i had to sign a concent form for if they cant see anything on the scan to operate and find out what going on inside her.like i said she has been running round the house like crazy playing etc.Its weird.weeing and pooing as usual too. :?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kelly said:
Keep us updated on her.I am curious now as to what it is she may have.I hope for the best :)
Hi the vet just phoned and said. they want to do blood tests first.So paid £30 over the phone.And i have to ring tommorrow and see whats happening.To see if they have found anything.The house seems so empty without her.Its so quite.I really miss her.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm sorry - I hope they find out soon what is wrong. Please keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts