Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heidi has had really bad diarrhea since yesterday. She threw up once and it was yellow foam (stomach acid?). She was able to eat a little rice and dog food last night. She's urinating normally but she's not drinking as much as she normally does. After she pees, she sniffs it for a long time like something's wrong with it. She got into some ranch dip on sunday but only got about three licks before I got it from her. Is this what could be making her feel so bad? I feed her yogurt about once a week with her meal and she's never had any problems so I don't think she's lactose intolerant. I'm scared to death that she has a blockage. That's been my biggest fear since she was a puppy. I was wondering if anybody knows if this is how it starts. Should I take her to the vet immediatly or should I give her some pepto first and see if she feels better? I was reading the thread about Chopper and it sounds like this is how he started. She's still playing rough with Chico and acting totally normal until she has a diahrea attack. I might be overreacting but I'd feel horrible if something happened to her.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sounds like what happened to kate... she still ate but was throwing up

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Since you already read my post about Chopper, you know his symptoms. He got really lethargic to the point where he would not even get off the couch. He made no effort to eat or drink anything. If she's playing normally, I would give it a day to see if she improoves, or gets worse. Keep feeding the rice. Try some canned pumpkin. Someone posted that it's good for helping firm up their stools. Keep a good eye on her for any other changes in her behavior.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for responding so quickly you guys. I read the article and she doesn't have any blood in her diahrea and she only threw up once. I think I'm gonna try to get her to eat some rice and hamburger and get her some pepto. We had a super bowl party and there's a large possibility that she got some food. The guys had food on the coffee table but it was just chips and dip. She's gotten into far worse than that. I'm gonna keep a close eye on her though, I'd just die if something happened to her.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Jaz had blockage and she would throw up between 3-10 times a day! But she didn't have blood in her stool.

Petroleum Jelly is harmless and just passes through the system. If you're worried you can give it to her twice a day. Just dig your fingers in till you have about a tablespoon and stick it to the roof of her mouth. If it's a small/med blockage it should help it pass.

If she isn't better soon I'd call your vet, just to be safe.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Awww poor Heidi!

I have no advice for you, but keep us posted and let us know if there is any change.

Bridget

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave her some pepto and she crashed out about an hour ago. She hasn't gone to the bathroom since so maybe she is feeling better. She was up most of the night so I think she is really tired. I may try the petroleum jelly. If she is going diahrea almost every hour, will the petroleum make it worse? She was eating alot of grass this morning and she threw it back up a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She just started throwing up alot of orangy/yellow foam. I called the vet, I'm taking her in at 3:30. I'm probably overreacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry. She's just not acting normal anymore and that scares me. Her eyes are real glassy and she's kinda out of it. I'll let you guys know what happens. Hopefully it's nothing.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
She just started throwing up alot of orangy/yellow foam. I called the vet, I'm taking her in at 3:30. I'm probably overreacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry. She's just not acting normal anymore and that scares me. Her eyes are real glassy and she's kinda out of it. I'll let you guys know what happens. Hopefully it's nothing.
Good judgement call. Sounds like it's time for her to be seen. Please let us know...I'll be watching for your reply! [-o<

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're back from the vet. I'm really relieved that, it wasn't a blockage. She has gastritus (sp?). Basically, her stomache is really irritated and inflamed. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and a shot of anti-inflamatory. $150 later, we're at home and feeling much better.

Thanks for all the support guys....this parenting stuff is scary! :shock: I can't imagine what it's like to have human babies.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Oh, thank goodness! So glad to hear that. Give her a big ol' hug for me! :D

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Glad she's okay. Funny I took my human kid to the doctor around the same time yesterday, and he got the same diagnosis -- gastritis.

Give Heidi a hug for me!! :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Care said:
Oh I'm so glad she's ok! :D
Did the vet say what could have caused it?
he said that she probably ate something. I saw her get some ranch dip on Sunday but she only got about 3 licks before I snatched it away from her. I feel kinda bad saying this but I can't communicate very well with my vet. He has a really thick accent. I switched vets because of this but ended up going back to him because he is really good and I can get an appointment on short notice with him. For some reason, Heidi is really comfortable with him and she is more nervous at the other offices I've taken her to. I take Chico to a different vet, I know, I'm weird. He had so many problems with mange and stuff when he was younger that he was always at the vet's office. He's practically a celebrity over there and I think it would break their hearts if I left. It's weird too because Chico is pretty shy and he lets the vet give him kisses. The first time she did it I almost died. She grabbed him by the cheeks and planted one right on his forehead. I thought for sure he was gonna have a panic attack and instead he kissed her back! Kinda made me think, "what goes on when I'm not here with my dog...how did you win him over like that?" LOL

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She seems to have almost all her energy back today and she ate about 3/4 a cup of food last night. She threw up this morning again but then ate about a cup of food an hour later. She is drinking water and that is a good sign. If she didn't start drinking and eating a little, the vet wanted to put her on an I.V. She's taking all her meds like a big girl so hopefully those will kick in. It's amazing how fast they bounce back! I wish I could be that way. Thanks for your concern! She's pretty tough, that whole blockage thing scares the crap outta me and I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
724 Posts
oh yayayayayayayaya! SO glad nothing is wrong. Dion hasn't been eating/sleeping much ... she was too worried about Heidi! Glad she is OK!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts