Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I think im pretty stern with Mason but when I tell him not to do something alot of the times he will just Bark at me and wont stop ...I think he thinks im playin but I dont know any other way to be stern with him...I grab him by his collar and bring him over to me and tell him Bad! but just gets him going even more... not only that sometimes when we crate him he'll start barking and wont stop for anything.. I have a feeling he thinks he's the boss but on anything else he listens to me...

Anyway I CAN correct this... lol ive tried the dog whisperer techniques with not backing down, I never give in... I do the two finger push off thing..nothing works..

Any ideas

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya thats why im being really really patient but I want to know if im doing the right stuff now, so it doesnt LEAD to being a issue when he's older ya know?

He s a great dog without a doubt..!

·
Registered
74 Posts
While he is still a puppy u don't want him to get into any bad habits now that can manifest themselves as a larger problem later on. My male OEB used to do the same exact thing. He was always "bossy". If you verbally corrected him he would bark at you. The best thing to do, and it was tough because he is such a strong dog was to get him in a "all the way down" or submissive position where he is laying onj his back or his side with his belly exposed and pin him or hold him there until he stopped barking. It took awhile but he eventually stopped.

He was a real pain between 8 and 16 months old, If you did not feel like playing/paying attention to him he would stand in the middle of the room and bark or whine at you constantly.. no matter how much you ignored him. If you did want to play or pay attention to him, he would just walk away, and act like he doesn't give a crap about u. He wanted it his way all the time. He would get his toys stuck under the couch and just whine and whine and whine.

The trainer I went to really emphasized having the dog be attentive to you. Making the dog look at you, when I first started training him he wouldnt even look at me. I had to pin him against a wall with my leg to get him to look up and pay attention to me.

While he is still a little "aloof" he is much more attentive now after the 9 weeks of training.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill keep that in mind..thanks for the tip...dogs can be stubborn..lol

He has his days where he'll listen be super good and always tell me when he has to go out.. others he wont tell me anything and just go and he'll defy me all day...its hard work..

He is still a pup though so hopefully he'll break out of it...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Harley also does this. Usually she's being very playful. Don't know if I handle it correctly or not, but I crouch down, get very quiet, and pat the ground next to me. When she comes, I pat her, and say, "yes, good girl, easy". She always calms right down when i do this...

·
Registered
704 Posts
A few questions...is your dog allowed human priveledges in the home?..such as being on the furniture, walking through the door before you, etc? If so, that needs to stop... you can try and be assertive all you want, but if you allow priveldges to a dog before they learn thier place in your pack..you are only confusing the dog.

If that is not the case, you need to really sharpen up on obedience. Make your dog work for everything..sit, down, stay, heal, come, whatever...the dog must work for food or play, etc.

Pinning a dog or rolling a dog as it's commonly called is OK to a certain extent, but as the dog gets older and becomes more dominant, you risk getting yourself bit. The dog needs to learn it's place before you can correct behavior.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Carrie said:
A few questions...is your dog allowed human priveledges in the home?..such as being on the furniture, walking through the door before you, etc? If so, that needs to stop... you can try and be assertive all you want, but if you allow priveldges to a dog before they learn thier place in your pack..you are only confusing the dog.

If that is not the case, you need to really sharpen up on obedience. Make your dog work for everything..sit, down, stay, heal, come, whatever...the dog must work for food or play, etc.

Pinning a dog or rolling a dog as it's commonly called is OK to a certain extent, but as the dog gets older and becomes more dominant, you risk getting yourself bit. The dog needs to learn it's place before you can correct behavior.
Agreed, the pinning technique was in conjunction with essentially removing all human-like privelidges the dog was previously accustom to and also strict obedience training.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never thought about those... we open the door for him and let him go first.. didnt know this would be bad.. he likes to lead but I was told I should just let him be a puppy and explore worry bout leash training hiim later..

He only comes on the couch when my fiance or I picks him up onto couch.. he likes to try and climb up but he's not big enough..

When he's in his crate he barks sometimes but I dont pull him out because I thought then that he would be telling me when he wants out ..other then that I wouldnt know what other priveledges he may be getting that I dont realize.. how do I keep him from runnign in the door first though?

I mean I dont expect a puppy to learn a whole lot reight now cause he's more into playing and exploring but I definitely want to start laying the foundation for obeidience...

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Obelisk said:
how do I keep him from runnign in the door first though?
Just hook his leash on him every time you take him out. My dogs will sit and wait for me to open the door now, but I treat it as a safety thing (I don't want to trip over them, and I want to have control of them as we're leaving the house) rather than a "Alphas must go first!" thing. I don't really believe that a dog that walks out the door first is trying to climb rank or sees you as submitting to it. It's just poor manners and lack of training. Hell...the outside world is exciting! The want to get out there as quickly as possible sometimes!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he likes to run underneath your feet.. the one thing im trying to break him of is that he NEEDS someone to stand by him while he eats MOST of the time... if you walk off he's worried that he's gonan miss something and he follows... thats kinda annoying..

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya know what I just thought of??

I bring Mason to work everyday and he does really well here.. barks when he has to go out, he listens....

but when were home he goes wild and wont listen most of the time.. hmmm could it be because he knows home is for playing?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Obelisk said:
he likes to run underneath your feet.. the one thing im trying to break him of is that he NEEDS someone to stand by him while he eats MOST of the time... if you walk off he's worried that he's gonan miss something and he follows... thats kinda annoying..
I would not do it lay it down and walk away .....I am no expert but it seems to me that he may think you waiting to eat...The Alpha always eats 1st so he may think that you are waiting to eat after him....Just my guess

I agree with what everyone else says but I do one thing different if Tora gets mouthy I tell her to stop once then it is time out .. I know not to put her in her crate so I put her in the bathroom for a few minutes....I have seen pictures of what they can do to walls but so far this has worked for me...Do you have somewhere quite and safe for him...just put him in time out..

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got an extra bedroom, an office, and two extra bathrooms he can be put in.. im not gonna chance putting him in my room..illl have to ty that as well whichever he picks up on first...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Listen. don't be a wusss.

YOU are the alpha. NOT him.
Can I ask you a question? WHY DO YOU LET HIM DO THOSE THINGS? THAT IS THE REAL ISSUE. YOU. not the dog.

I don't know your dog. However, it depends on the degree of dominance of your dog. Pushing him down and fliping him over works if the dog is a lab. Some ABs........this is not always good. You are now giving HIM a CHANCE to measure up his strenght VS yours. Can you win? ALWAYS? You have to train dogs with BRAINS not brawn. When he gets to be 80lb plus and dominant as hell, you think you are going to physically control him???? not a chance.

So, lesson 101.

1) NEVER EVER EVER get into a physical competition with your dog unless it is a small pup. If you ever loose, even for a tiny bit, you will create a big big problem.

2) remember a wolf pack. Alpha goes first on EVERYTHING. A dog should not shi# unless commanded to do so. The more dominant the dog, the more control over his life you must have. Get it? A dog should NEVER EVER eat unless it sits quietly and wait until commanded to eat. Everything MUST be controlled.

3) so how do you control him? YOU control his rewards in life. Going for walks. Food. Play. ball. coming into YOUR living space is a HUGE REWARD. You should limit his access because YOU DO NOT WANT TO REWARD FOR NO REASON!

4) pets are happier as a subordinate. Less stress. When they are uncertain, they get aggressive and stressed. They are getting mixed messages FROM YOU.

5) correct the dog when necessary. I love the crate. he acts up...........he goes in the crate. he is being a dink..........he goes in the crate with a cover over it. Unless your dog is a complete retard, it will get the message, as long as YOU ARE CONSISTANT.

6) correction is NOT craking on your dog's neck. again..........no physical cometition. Brains over brawn.

You may think this soft approach works only for soft dogs.

On the contrary, this method IS FOR VERY VERY HARD DOGS. Control the reward. Withhold the reward.

Good luck.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PeterC said:
Listen. don't be a wusss.

YOU are the alpha. NOT him.
Can I ask you a question? WHY DO YOU LET HIM DO THOSE THINGS? THAT IS THE REAL ISSUE. YOU. not the dog.

I don't know your dog. However, it depends on the degree of dominance of your dog. Pushing him down and fliping him over works if the dog is a lab. Some ABs........this is not always good. You are now giving HIM a CHANCE to measure up his strenght VS yours. Can you win? ALWAYS? You have to train dogs with BRAINS not brawn. When he gets to be 80lb plus and dominant as hell, you think you are going to physically control him???? not a chance.

So, lesson 101.

1) NEVER EVER EVER get into a physical competition with your dog unless it is a small pup. If you ever loose, even for a tiny bit, you will create a big big problem.

2) remember a wolf pack. Alpha goes first on EVERYTHING. A dog should not shi# unless commanded to do so. The more dominant the dog, the more control over his life you must have. Get it? A dog should NEVER EVER eat unless it sits quietly and wait until commanded to eat. Everything MUST be controlled.

3) so how do you control him? YOU control his rewards in life. Going for walks. Food. Play. ball. coming into YOUR living space is a HUGE REWARD. You should limit his access because YOU DO NOT WANT TO REWARD FOR NO REASON!

4) pets are happier as a subordinate. Less stress. When they are uncertain, they get aggressive and stressed. They are getting mixed messages FROM YOU.

5) correct the dog when necessary. I love the crate. he acts up...........he goes in the crate. he is being a dink..........he goes in the crate with a cover over it. Unless your dog is a complete retard, it will get the message, as long as YOU ARE CONSISTANT.

6) correction is NOT craking on your dog's neck. again..........no physical cometition. Brains over brawn.

You may think this soft approach works only for soft dogs.

On the contrary, this method IS FOR VERY VERY HARD DOGS. Control the reward. Withhold the reward.

Good luck.
Invite him into my living space?? so Im basically supposed to keep him cooped up in his crae and only let him out when he's good?? Not sure I get this...

Ill admit that im probably doing many things wrong but this is the first time Ive really had my own dog...

I mean what happen to letting a puppy be a puppy?? or do you believe he is a dog... therefore he's only bred to please you and therefore shouldnt want to play or have fun, explore or just be a puppy...

I understand what your saying about alpha male but I mean really is it necessary to make a 12 week old pup have to work for EVERYTHING? Maybe it is...maybe this is the only true way to gain success...

I will try and make him work for a few things like food and my time...but as far as physical competition when he's barking at me being defiant am I just supposed to pick him up and put him in the bathroom and leave him be and not even try to teach him the word No??

Again maybe I misunderstood alot of what you said so forgive me if I did im just trying to better understand the techniques..

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I don't have much advice, but I can relate on the first time dog owner thing.

If you let him 'be a puppy' without training him, it will create more problems than it solves. Yes, it is natural for them to be curious, but you need to control his curiousity. You need to start with his training now, or before you know it, your dog is a year old, and has no training. We didn't make Haus work for everything, but he was made to Sit before he went out, or before he was fed. Then he was to sit and stay. As he got older, he had to do more work for the things he wanted. You need to establish your dominance over the dog now, by teaching him some basic OB and building on that. :)

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think Mason is picking up on the sit command..but I iwll work with him more.. so I should have him sit before he goes out.. and also he should sit before I put down his food?

Any advice on what I should when he walks away from his food because he wants to be where I am?? I thought about only leaving his food down for no more then 20 minutes and if he doesnt eat it all then maybe he'lll learn that his food is only down for a certain time, and just keep repeating that until he gets it??

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Obelisk said:
I think Mason is picking up on the sit command..but I iwll work with him more.. so I should have him sit before he goes out.. and also he should sit before I put down his food?

Any advice on what I should when he walks away from his food because he wants to be where I am?? I thought about only leaving his food down for no more then 20 minutes and if he doesnt eat it all then maybe he'lll learn that his food is only down for a certain time, and just keep repeating that until he gets it??
I would keep working on sit with him, and repeat it every chance you get. Haus was made to sit before he went out, when he got his leash put on, before he ate, before he got a treat, before he got a toy...you get the idea.

As for the food thing, I never had the problem of Haus not eating, he was a little piggy. I would suggest only leaving it down for a certain amount of time, and if he doesn't eat it, pick it back up. You could also try feeding him in his crate.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know trust me that it is hard to be a disciplinarian but it is well worth the work. I had to stop giving Tora so many luxuries, her toys were on the floor in a basket for easy access, food etc. That is the way that it has always been around here. At 1st I had her convinced that I am in control but I could tell she was taking a little longer to come, a little longer to sit, and she started barking at me in the kitchen...OH HE!! NO!!!! I put her toys in chest and she has lost a lot of her priviledges...I did not want to do it but I CAN NOT have HUGE POWERFUL DOG THAT DOES WHAT SHE WANTS AND ANSWERS TO ME IF SHE FEELS LIKE IT :evil:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts