Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found a feed store about 30 minutes north of me that sells some more specialty dog foods, but they don't carry Natural Balance which is what I've been feeding Rocco and Chloe in the past. After a lot of looking and reading labels, I chose Exclusive. I bought both the Lamb and Rice and the Chicken and Rice. It was quite a bit cheaper than the Natural Balance, and the ingredients list looks pretty good:

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal, rice flour, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat
(preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp,
flaxseed, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, potassium
chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate,
zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese
proteinate, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium
pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6),vitamin B12
supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity),
riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Here's the link to their website:
http://www.pminutrition.com/main.html

Anyone heard of this stuff before? I like that it contains Glucosamine and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
576 Posts
At first glance, from what I remember about the dog grading scale, there are a few ingredients that aren't good:

corn gluten meal (hard to digest)
dried beet pulp
brewers dried yeast
salt

there may be others but those are what i remember.

also, the best types of food will have three sources of animal protein within the first 5 igredients (if I'm remembering right) and this food just has chicken and chicken meal, followed by grains which aren't really needed.

Natural Balance is a far superior food if you can get it. You can order it online but there is shipping to consider. However, most sites offer scheduled dog food orders, where you request how often they automatically send it to you. Often times if you sign up for that sort of program they will not charge you for shipping (or at least they won't charge the surplus shipping for the heavy bag). I hope this helps, you can take a look at the dog food grading sticky and see some other brands that have already been scored. PM me if you want me to help you to find a place that will send you Natural Balance at the best price with shipping and all :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lokers! I'll check out the Natural Balance sale at Petco. Rocco and Chloe tend to like this new stuff a little more (of course, since it's not too good for them :roll: ) so I may continue to mix small amounts of it in with the NatBal. to get them to eat more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts