Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a male boxer pup that was born last Thanksgiving. About 21 weeks or so. He is a very sweet boy. But has not been trained at all. I have a large crate to keep him at night ect. Last night he cried and made a fuss all night. Also I walked him and had him outside for a little while before bringing him. He came in and pee pee'd on the floor. He also went poo in his crate during the night. He isn't use to being walked on a leash. I try to walk him and I also have a tie out to put him on for a little while to go potty. I want him to be able to walk around the house with the kids and such, but not poo or pee pee. What types of training do you reccomend. Books etc. Ihave had dogs all my life including Boxers, but it has been a long time since we had a pup. I currently have a 12yr old min dashuand and 8yr old male cat. I can use all the hekp and info I can get. TIA

Brandie

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
OH Dear..
Boxers are very very busy puppies..1st your crate is tooo big if he/she is pooping in it you just need enough room for him/her to stand and turn around maybe purchase a divider for your crate and limit his/her space..another thing he/she will not poop while on lead with distractions such as children ect..they are to busy seeing what kind of fun they can have..I have owned boxers for over 14 yrs..they are high enery dogs..and when crated will need double the excercise that a normal breed does..I suggest taking a Basic OB class in your local town if possible..you can learn alot from a six week course..and they are not that expensive..

Remember Boxers remain very very high energy until about 5 yrs old...

Good Luck Keep us posted..

E

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Right now it sounds like he needs some time and patience. Do you free feed or feed him on a schedule? I would suggest a feeding schedule, that way his bathroom habits will become more predictable. My male wasn't fully housebroken until about 6 mos. As far as the crate goes, make sure he has just enough room to turn around, you don't want him to have too much room in there right now. He'll use one end for the bathroom and the other to sleep in if he's got too much space in there. Keep up the good work, be sure he gets a nice long walk at least once a day. A tired dog is a happy dog! :D

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if he hasnt been crated before its normal for him to whine and pitch a fit at first
just keep at it he will learn
just make sure the crate isnt too big or he will go in it
he just needs enought room to stand and turn around

as for the house training
i use the bell method as do some others on this fourm
hang a small cow bell or some jingle bells next to the door
every time you take him out
make him ring the bell first( take his paw and ring it)
he will learn that if he need to go out , he will ring the bell to let you know
any house breaking takes time, and with your pup being a bit older and might have picked up bad habbits it might take a bit longer

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well, first off let me say congrats on you new addition!! :thumbup: I also have a male boxer and we love him to pieces!! He has been the best dog I have ever owned. (Hopefully my AB will turn out as wonderful and well behaved.) Now let me reiterate what has already been said. Boxers are very very busy!!!!! and also very smart. Just give your little guy some time and be persistent with his house training. When he does potty outside make a big deal and give him a treat as soon as he does his business. Most dogs love to be rewarded and attention!! Let him know going to potty outside is a wonderful thing. If he does have an accident in the house, and he will, tell him no and bring him outside. You have to catch him in the act. I am not sure how big he is, but you could try to put him on a leash and keep him at your side at all times. That way, you know if he has an accident in the house, and he will get use to being on a leash!! Good luck!!

Pics please :) !!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Time and lots and lots of patience. Watch him carefully for signs that he's going to pee or poo inside (sniffing, circling). Then usher him out the door, and when he does his business outside, reward and praise him. You're bound to have accidents for many months during housebreaking, but they get it eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts