Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Kimberly and I have recently, after years of wanting and waiting, brought an English Bulldog into my family. He has 3 Chinese Cresteds to content with here and I have had dobes and GS's in the past but have been coveting the bullies for so long.
What a difference in what I though was some pretty solid training skills I had, and the way my bully RJ responds.
OK, no surprise but he is NOT a dobe..lol..but he is the dog of my dreams. I was the only one in m y home that actually thought bullies were worth the cons that come with them so after thinking for it for a long long time, setting aside a years worth of vet cash, looking for the right pup and getting the house and yard ready with and air conditioned crate and more chew toys than I have room for, I found the cutest , sweetest pup who seemed to know he was supposed to be with me from the day we met.

I know only what I have read, and have met only a very few bullies prior to finding RJ so I ahve nowhere to turn to for much advice. In central Florida here most people don;t know the difference between an English and a pit, the breed of choice in this area, so even my vet has limited experience.
I called to schedule our puppy kindergarten classes and the trainer laughed and told me I was going to have my hands full and I'd better be patient. :?

What I have found already is that RJ ONLY responds to tons of positive reinforcement and if I tell him NO or STOP he just looks at me like I'm annoying him.
He is a nipper, chewing on everything and I am trying to break this habit quickly becasue I do have a child in a wheelchair who can't tell the pup to stop, but they are never unattended together.

I have a million questions and will find all the appropriate threads to post them in but I wanted to say hello and hopefully I'll find a home here to come and get lots of info and tips to make RJ's life here as happy as possible.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and getting to know my way around the forum...

Kimberly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI ALL
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.
The second I figure out how to use this new digital camera I have I will post pics. His cutness just kills me. He's fawn with a very blocky head and he's very low to the ground with, well, the cutes butt I have ever seen on a dog when he waddles.

Enough gushing for now, have to get back to work but thanks for the welcomes!

Kimberly

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
welcome

hi Kimberly,

i too am new to the breed. Baylee is now 6 months old and is still a terror, lol.... and the chewing thing, get used to. we call her Purana (sp?) cuz she just doesn't stop....

although, she won't bite or chew on us anymore.... just anything else that happens to fall into her mouth. she's quite the handful, but full of so much love. and i too was infatuated with her butt as well.

i can't wait to see pics.... hurry up and figure that camera out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the welcomes!!

Well Snarky your reports are NOT encouraging...lol...! I am a little neurotic about my house being neat (bizarre for a dog lover I know) so I have crates and special areas for free roaming. At night I let them all hang together and socialize and play, but they are all under my watchful eye, RJ and his Crested siblings.

I am hoping chewing can be grown out of and I'm so spoiled that none of my cresteds are chewers, but I have had dobies..and sacrifised a few good epices of furniture for trusting them out alone when I shouldn't have...and they were adults!! Oish!!

At least I know RJ can't chew anything higher than a few feet off the ground so we have a safe spot anyhow.

Any tips for getting him to stop chewing my feet, or my son's feet really?? I can defend myself appropriately but my son will bite the puppy right back. Razor sharp little puppy teeth...owwww! He does respond pretty well already to "No Bite" and I hyper praise him when he gives gentle kisses without teeth...but he has a built in forgetter..

K

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

I second (or is it third? Fourth?) the pictures thing!

I was owned by a beautiful special needs EB for a short time, and she was an adult, so I never had to deal with the puppy chewing, so I have no advice for you!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello and welcome!! And of course, pics pretty please with sugar on top. :wink: Looking at the new puppies is one of my most favorite things to do!! They are all so cute!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well we found the cords for the camera that hook up to the computer so I'm half way there..lol.

We held RJ up to the full length mirror last night and he kept touching his nose to the mirror and then looking back over at me cuz I guess I looked just like the woman in the mirror holding the other dog...lmao...He looked genuinely disturbed he way he kept cocking his head at himself and nosing the mirror. I think my fiance must have told him he was a Doberman or something cuz he was not impressed with what he saw...

To me however he is THE cutest thing on the planet next to my human pup of course. Soon...I will figure this thing out and post pics before he gets much bigger.

K

1 - 15 of 15 Posts