Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Madaya and my boyfriend Tim and I adopted a bulldog today. Her name is Shelby and she's 2-3yrs, brindle. Her previous owners left her in their house they were evicted from.

Tonight she was doing the boot scoot for about 10 min straight, even after she was taken out and pooped. What could be the reason for that?

Is it normal for bulldog to breathe heavily when they sleep? Not snoring but sounds like she just ran a marathon.

We've had a bulldog before and he didn't breathe like that. I tried reseaching but didn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If you are talking about an english bulldog, then check her tail pocket for gunk. Skin, moisture, oil and even poo can build up under their tails and cause them discomfort. You can wipe under their tails daily with an unscented baby wipe, and if its red and inflamed, after cleaning it, put some A&D ointment in there for it to heal and block the moisture from getting on the skin.

As for her snoring/breathing heavy... what is her weight like? She should have a definate waistline. English bulldogs are prone to having an elongated palate as well, and this hampers their breathing. When you take her to the vet, have them look at it, there is a surgery to correct elongated palates.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...and great pictures in your signatures!
Sorry - Shelby is an English Bulldog with a waist...hahaha, maybe/probably a few lbs over weight :wink: She is pretty active and loves a good walk, um tug or follow the leader.

The breathing thing was odd as she got a bit anxious trying to find a comfy position to lay down in, about 15 minutes of up n' down changing spots to lay down in. It was odd because once she did lay down it took 20+ minutes for her to slow down the breathing. Can understand her feeling a bit out of place - this is only her third night here.

:lol: wow - is she cutn' the logs now! SNORE, grunt, weeze, whistle hahahahahaha!

I did wipe her with a baby wipe - will have to keep an eye on that "area" The boot scoot in a circle is pretty funny to watch, but I worry about the carpet :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also noticed that her foot pads are really dry and even cracked.
Any goo out there to help, or is that a normal thing?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The breathing issue is probably just par for the breed but just to be safe I would have her tested for Heart Worms if you already haven't. An infestation can cause labored breathing as well. She is a cutie with a booty! Congrats!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
The butt scooting could be due to her anal glands. They may be full and need to be expressed. A vet can do it for you if you don't know how, or want to.

As far as the breathing, if she's all around healthy I wouldn't worry about it. My boy Chopper does the same thing. He's an AB, but he's done it since he was a pup. He breathes very fast until he actually falls asleep.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have 2 EB's. Molly could rock the house down when she really gets sleeping. Bear is really not loud at all.

The butt scooting could be anal glands. Could also be irritation. I clean with non-scented baby wipes daily and squirt Gold Bond Medicated Powder in there with one of those old ketchup/mustand bottles with the pointy tip. Also, if a little read irritation shows up I use diaper rash cream. I've never had any tail pocket issues following these steps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your helpful information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts