Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only coming here for this question because a lot of you know the good breeders from the bad and can recommend one to me. If I decide to go ahead and get a purebred American Bulldog, I would like to get her from an excellent breeder! Money isn't really an issue at the moment. I'm trying to find a breeder now so that if I do decide, I'd like to get on a waiting list as soon as possible for Spring/Summer of '07. And I know a lot of good breeders plan their breedings ahead of time. I'd like the breeder to have parents OFA tested and offer a health guarantee. Would appreciate if the breeders did a temperament evaluation too. I don't need a skittish dog! I don't mind too much about shipping (Pittsburgh Airport is the closest to me - 2hrs away) so distance isn't a big deal. We're moving (as I posted before) in the next few weeks which is why I dont want another puppy right now. I'd like to atleast have Toby and Diva situated in the new house before I even think about bringing another one in. If anyone has any input, please let me know!

Another question I have is... Should I get a female? Thats what I have my mind set on because Toby, of course, is a male.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I want a purebred American Bulldog. I've always wanted a Johnson's line bully. I'm going to be doing obedience/agility within my local kennel club and we'll be hiking/jogging/swimming almost everyday. So an athletic bully but family pet would be ideal.

·
Registered
626 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
You sure you want a purebreed AB? Contact Mr Johnson. I can't believe at this age the guy still answers his own phone. He's a tad slow at answering your questions, but he's still ticking.
asian im not trying to bust on ya but mr johnson does not do any testing on his dogs.never did never will and the dogs on his yard these days are even worse then ever.im not a fan of the bully dogs.they are bred for looks.i would recomend joshua kennels...rs

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been speaking with Carrie! :D Hopefully if her litter 2007 litter is due and ready to go in the time frame that I'm ready I plan on getting a suitable puppy from her. We'll just see how it all pans out.

·
Registered
626 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
I know Johnson's dog are not reliable dogs. She said she wanted purebred, johnsons are as pure as they can be. You want a performance dog get a Scott or Peterson line.
johnsons are not as pure as can be...they have st.bernard and english bulldog in them.johnson put it in them in the 70's and breeders that are so hung up on looks put more in them............scott/hines and osw/white english are the purest lines of american bulldog.they are what johnson started with.you might want to learn the history before giving advise........what is a peterson line???????...rs

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tobysmum and I have been talking..thanks to all for the rec.

I have some things to say about types of AB's, etc. I'm so sick of stereotypes and bashing amonst sides...a good bulldog is a good bulldog, regardless of type. Don't lump all AB's into Johnson or Scott... there are many more lines of AB out there (although, I have never heard of a Peterson line myself...?)

Anyway, stay tuned....

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hines is as paperhung as the rest of em, although there is nothing wrong with apbt blood in a good bulldog...and yes I would not recommend anyone to purchase a dog from johnson's yard these days...horrible shape and you don't know what you're getting...too inconsistent

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
bulldogs have existed far before johnson. people have been adding other breeds into the mix for decades and the AB as we know it today is a combination of many breeds. The AB is a fairly new breed when you think of it. It has changed and developed over time.

check out the thread below for more info on various breeds that have been added to the soup.

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=8628

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
All breeds of dog were formed by other breeds at one point or other in their development process. The apbt was a cross between bulldog and terrier, the doberman was a cross between several breeds, and so on... But with most working breeds you will find certain lines have a higher % than others of a certain cross. I would say most game-bred apbt have more terrier in them and most staff's have more bulldog in them, same goes with the new american bully's... Also with the Boerboel, etc.. The boerboel is fairly broad in type just like the american bulldog, mainly because it is a working breed. People breed for a certain task, and you will find varying types for varying tasks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts