Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
imo only the best of the best should be bred.

The dog should excel in conformation and or working, pass all health screanings with flying colors, pass temperment test with flying colors.

Anything the male is lacking the female should be superb in and vise a versa, since the real reason for breeding is to produce puppies that are better than their sire and dam...

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
imo only the best of the best should be bred.

The dog should excel in conformation and or working, pass all health screanings with flying colors, pass temperment test with flying colors.

Anything the male is lacking the female should be superb in and vise a versa, since the real reason for breeding is to produce puppies that are better than their sire and dam...
verry nicely put!i agree 100%

·
Registered
143 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
....since the real reason for breeding is to produce puppies that are better than their sire and dam...
I'll disagree and say, it's darn hard to insure improvement when breeding, technically one should have the mindset/priority to maintain the standard. Improving is a bonus. :wink:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I agree. I will second that. Recently, while making my own "list" I tried to figure how he would compliment her and vice versa.With the only downfall being Dixies chlorine allergy, and him not having any, I thought to myself,"Ok, suppossed to better the breed...how do I do that if they are great already??"

If you have a great pair, then why not breed to keep the breed pure and perfect?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sajoseph said:
I agree. I will second that. Recently, while making my own "list" I tried to figure how he would compliment her and vice versa.With the only downfall being Dixies chlorine allergy, and him not having any, I thought to myself,"Ok, suppossed to better the breed...how do I do that if they are great already??"

If you have a great pair, then why not breed to keep the breed pure and perfect?
But what do ya all think makes a pair great?

I think myself that a good breeding dog should have right temprament, Good health ( hipps, eyes, elbows and so on). No dieasises like demodex, soriasis , atros and so on. The right bone strukture. It should be registrated in the kennelclub and follow the right standard ( sorry for my bad english) I think more but I cant´s express that in english.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Link said:
sajoseph said:

But what do ya all think makes a pair great?

I think myself that a good breeding dog should have right temprament, Good health ( hipps, eyes, elbows and so on). No dieasises like demodex, soriasis , atros and so on. The right bone strukture. It should be registrated in the kennelclub and follow the right standard ( sorry for my bad english) I think more but I cant´s express that in english.
Sometimes a compatible pedigree of two quality sound dogs makes a great pair. Sometimes the pedigree can be completely different and yu can get a good pup. Earl Tudor was known for his ability to put dogs together and get a great product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.