Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They think he has an infection of the pancreas. He had elevated levels of electrolites in his blood that come from the pancreas. So, they are putting him on antibiotics and said if we dont see a significant change in 48-72 hours that he would need to go back. Thats much better than either bowel obstruction or parvo imo :) Much relieved. . .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's good to hear. Not that he's sick, just that it's not parvo. I have a customer who has a dog with a underdeveloped pancreas. She had to switch her diet and she gives her daily supplements and her dog is now very healthy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. . . what kind of supplements? I hope thats not what he has. He is a year old now so I suppose if it was underdeveloped we would be stuck with it? Brodie was a rescue so we arent sure about his background at all.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hate that your little guy is sick, but so glad it's not something more severe!! I went through the same thing with Maddie, and was very worried as well. She was scheduled to be spayed this same time last year and the night prior started to throw up and never stopped. Next thing I knew we were a week and $800 into the ordeal before she was finally able to come home and back to normal. She never had blood in her stool until 3 days into the ordeal, and though she never once tested positive for Parvo and had all her vaccinations they treated it as such and she finally pulled through. I'm glad he will be ok, best wishes to you and your little guy!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Glad to hear a definite diagnosis was made. I hope he pulls through well. The pancreas is a very sensitive yet important organ so any sort of disease, infection, or injury can be life threatening. Sounds like they are on the right track w/anitibiotics & supportive care. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Glad to hear that they know what it is. Parvo is a bad illness and most don't make it. Brodie is young and strong so he should be ok. Still will be thinking of you bpoth and hope for the best but I don't feel like it is to bad and he WILL get over this. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to get him to the vets, and much much more happier to hear he's going to be alright! It's ashame that no one (vets) would understand your situation and help you out! They can be jerks at times! Well away I'm glad he's going to be ok!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I'm so glad to hear you got him in. I hope everything turns out ok for Brodie. Please keep us updated. :D

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
That was the same thing they found with Sophie when she was puking - elevated levels of something that deals with the pancreas. I fed her boiled chicken and brown rice for about a week until her tummy settled, then when I put her back on real food, I switched them both back from regular DVP to the Duck and Potato, and we haven't had the problem again since. I haven't taken her back for a repeat test yet.

Glad you at least have an answer and a place to start. Hope he's feeling better soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts