Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what his issue is. He never used to do this. Now, whenever I pet him, he tries to put his paws on me, sometimes both of them, but usually just one, especially if I try to stop petting him. Is he trying to tell me to continue? Is he trying to establish dominance over me? Its making me crazy, I have scratches on my arms from this, though Im sure its unintentional, Im very sure he is not trying to hurt me. I am curious as to how to get him to stop. Telling him no, or ignoring him doesnt seem to discourage it the next time Im petting him. It does stop him for that moment though lol. This is a picture not too long ago of him trying to "hug" my arm which is an example of him doing this pawing thing. . .

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Heaven will do this sometimes when she really wants my attention and I'm busy. She kinda just "hangs on" till I pet her.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thing is, if it's driving you crazy, you want him to stop doing it, right?
I haven't had this problem, but I would think that if he knows you don't like it and that it won't get him what he wants, he'll stop doing it.

In other words, when he paws you, you tell him "No paw" (or whatever you want to call it) and all the lovin' stops immediately. Put him in a sit or down away from you (however you normally do it when you want him to chill out).
Then, when YOU'RE ready you call him over for more attention.

It may help to have him earn the attention by obeying a command from you (even if it's only coming over and sitting in front of you when you ask him to).

Rinse and repeat as necessary until he gets the idea.

·
Registered
146 Posts
murphy does it too, and i did read that it is a sign of dominance. he is saying "pet me". and being demanding. but i never really told him too stop, and he still does it. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Brodie does feel he can jump up on me too, which also is a sign of dominance I understand. I am sort of bad about disciplining him about it during the winter because I usually have pants on, but during the summer. . .OUCH.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Pawing is a sign of dominance. In the "dog packs" when another dog puts a paw on another wolfs shoulder, it's showing dominance. If it with both paws, i'm not sure what that means, but always with one paw it is dominance. To solve the problem possibly do more obedience work because that usually shows the dog your higher status, also leaning over the dog and giving eye contact (staring right in the dogs eyes) also works. It'll take awhile for the dog to break the habit and it is also asking for attention, but by you giving him the attention that he's asking, your basically submitting to the dog and saying "yes you are my leader, i will submit to you". Ignoring is also a good idea. Do not give attention unless it is by being dominant, leaning over the dog and giving full eye contact. Hope that clears things up a little for you. :wink:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Zippity, I think we read too much into things. The dog wants a frickin kiss, give it to him! :lol:
Agreed...for god sake, this Dominance thing can be taken a bit for sometimes, and im sure at one time there was some disagreement over wolves and dogs being the same, after all bull dogs are hardly able to live with a pack of dogs?

I for one am not going to try leaning over her and giving Roxy full eye contact, sounds abit of a fritninig(sp?) situ to put Roxy in.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Well I was just giving advice, that's why you started the topic in the first place? But now that I look at the picture, it seems to be that Roxy is giving you kisses (licking) at the same time, submitting to you. So it looks to be no dominance issue. And yes, there is controversy over dog and wolves, but all dog have evolved from wolves and the first step to understand "dog" is to understand "wolves". You put a puppy, and yes even a bully breed, in a wolf pack and the pack accepts them then the puppy CAN be raised to understand wolf language. It is something they are born with and every dog is born with it. A sense of language taught as soon as the dog gives birth to the pups.

EDIT: A lot of stray dogs, even pit bulls form packs on the streets and that's when they can become dangerous to humans because to them, humans are intruders.

Whenever I respond to someone asking about something about there dog and there behavior, I spend time thinking about it first from the dogs perspecitive. The first step to understanding why your dog does something is to understand the dog world and the wolf packs or any dog pack in that matter is referred back to. Your family and Roxy are a pack, Abby and my family are packs. We all form packs, dogs and humans. But sometimes humans forget that the dog is still a dog even though it is domesticated and through there mind, things are seen differently.

I'm not trying to offend you in anyway so please don't take the dominance thing I told you personally, I am only trying to help you better understand. It is your dog and if you think Roxy can't handle the leaning over and eye contact thing then it's your call. You know your dog better then me. The techniques I use are not for everybody.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Abby, I was the one who started the post, not Roxy just to clear that up, and I was asking for opinions :) I was curious if this was a dominance thing because there are other signs, but they dont seem consistant. For example, the licking thing is throwing me off, because he tries to lick my hands constantly. I think understanding the dog is very interesting, but I also know that I am not a dog trainer, and I need to have my pet be a pet too. There must be a balance for me to strike or having a dog will become something I dont like. I dont want to lose control over my dog however, and I was curious on how to get him to stop. Thank you for giving your knowledgable opinion, and I appreciate all the other responses I have gotten as well. He is a complete goofball, so maybe he is just unbalanced!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Harley was having an issue with pawing. Sometimes she still does it but not nearly as often. However before telling her no paw I look to see if their is a reason other than attention before correcting the situation by ignoring her.

Kelly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts