Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I was checking out the other posts and decided to register so I could ask a quick question. Lily is my 5 month old english. She's totally awesome and I love her to death. Its crazy but I think I see my other dogs (miss them much) in her personality. What has been worrying me is her eye. Her right eye is discolored in the white area. There isn't any excessive discharge and she doesn't paw at it. It's a sortof brownish red color. I've taken her to the vet but no luck there. We live in a remote area of AK and our local docs don't have much experience with the breed. I've been reading up on eye problems but can't seem to find a diagnosis on my own. Thank you in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome to you and Lily! It doesn't sound like anything bad, it could be just a slight irritation to almost anything. I myself suffer with Dry Eye Syndrome and don't produce enough tears for my eyes. I suggest using tears which you can buy over the counter at any pharmacy for humans, or a bottle of saline solution to flush her eyes. This will not hurt her the saline solution is just a light salt solution and is used for many different things. Simply keep the eyes moist and clean. The eye produces three layers of tears, the kind you cry, a filmy/sticky layer and one more which is even thicker. The first two types of tears help flush any dust etc from the eyes. Her eyes are producing this discharge to keep her eyes clean. Also washing her face with a warm washcloth with a light antibactrial soap will help with both dust/dirt around her eyes and with the dark stains she may have from this discharge. Hopeful this will help Lily, good luck and best wishes. Welcome again to the forum!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about, but unfortunantly, I have no idea what it is called, what causes it, and what "cures" it. It is NOT breed specific (that I know of) as I had 2 dogs (mutts) growing up that had this as well.

To be honest, I wouldnt worry too much about it as long as it is not causing any discomfort. You can flush the eyes with saline eye drops if you want to, as EB's tend to have dryer eyes anyway and it would be good practice for later on down the road if need be. Just don't over do it though. That may cause more harm then good. Maybe rinse his eyes once a day or maybe every few days. JMO

You might have to be willing to drive a substancial distance to find a EB experianced vet. I would find an experianced vet regardless, as EB's tend to have quite a few health issues later on in life. A good, experianced vet is well worth the hassle.

Oh and welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the all of your advice! We though island living would be nice but now I'm starting to freak about not having a vet with bully experience on the island. I know I'm probably freaking out about nothing to serious (i keep googling and can't find anything fatalistic that relates to discoloration) so hopefully when we get back to the lower 48 I can have it checked out by a decent doc. I figure I'll still post a pic if I can get Lily to hold still long enough (yeah, right!!). That way you guys can see what I'm talking about. Will post pic soon! Talk to ya later!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.