Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Not a bad lookin' dog....but not my ideal AB either. Way too big. He looks like a shaved St. Bernard and looks like his back is about to crack due to the weight. Oh, and the stand-still pant isn't becoming of him either.

~S

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I don't think he's a true 26"
was he measured with a wicket?

not a bad dog but yeah, he's overweight - I like to see good definition on the back ribs, but it's straight to his rear hehe, bear gut on him

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
So, he's a little soft. So what? :wink: I think he's handsome - love his markings. My Buster's soft and jiggly, too. :love4:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have to be honest..I'm glad you love your boy, but I wouldn't use him in a breeding program. He's very high in the rear, out in the elbows and a bit cowhocked. Some of his stucture issues could be due to his excessive weight..I would take off a good 15-20 pounds. He would be soo much more comfortable and you would be extending his life by quite a few years.

There was trend in "huge" bulldogs for a few years, and you still see some folks out there worried about size.... a true working bulldog should be between 70-100 pounds..anything over that, and they just don't have the stamina and longeiveity to perform. Plus, the oversize bullies tend to have more health issues (dysplacia, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, etc.) and live shorther lives than the smaller bullies. Not saying this is always the case..if a large bully grows slow and is kept lean, they can do quite well.

Just curious what your goals are as a breeder? I see each of your dogs is bred very differently, and you even have a female from one of the biggest millers/brokers in the country (Dunn Brokus). Do you work/show your dogs, health test, etc? I don't mean to bust your balls...I just am up to my ears in rescue AB's, and really like to see breeders who are breeding to better the breed and have some sort of long term goals and ideas. With BSL taking the world by storm, people really need to think hard about adding another batch of bullies into the world....I'm not against breeding at all..I am a breeder. I just prefer to see breeders who test thier stock (both physically and mentally) and who are proving thier dogs have what it takes to be added to the gene pool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts