Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1391

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1612

When we had a lady visits our dog school with her very fearful dog, the trainer asked that she kept the dog leashed and just walked around ignoring the dog, same at home, pop her on a leash tie her to your waste walk around ignoring her no eye contact. He was very persistence that she did not allow the dog to hide. After a few lessons she never returned, she was able to handling the problem herself.

Here's another link on dogs body language.

http://www.wagntrain.com/BodyLanguage.htm

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
msvette2u said:
Wow and in the time it took to type that up, someone confirmed that! :)
BTW I TOOK IN (my rescue) a fearful Bloodhound/Poodle mix that someone deliberately bred :puke icon: and she was like that. Drove me insane. The only thing I knew to do was leash her as I described. Do not let her off the leash, even in the house, until this behavior stops. I'd still go for puppy classes, if possible, however!
No eye contact either!

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
Try feeding her only small amounts, little and often. Placing an open can in her bowl may help slow her down. Not sure if making her eat on her own will slow her down. Feed her by spoon, Roxy's really good at this, they have to take it slowly.

Leash, when she backs off you turn and walk the way she pulling. Try taking small treats with you to encouage her to walk close at your side, be positive and chirpy when she walks nicely.

You got a lot of areas to work in, might be worth making a program up, so you have some kind of routine for Nala.

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
Both my dogs are on opposite side of the scales, Roxy really dominant, high prey drive, bounds of energy. Marlee lazy, timid to new pp,l lazy no drive whatsoever, and the training of them both is so different.

But any how back to Nala, how is she doing with the hand feeding and being leashed to you ?

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
Her collar is too big if she can slip it, get a centre choke, hold her leash so it is under chin.

I think that by the time you to get around to training her it will be too late. It's was August when you last posted, we both had similar problems, mine I have nearly gone. Why don't you give her up, before it is too late for Nala. Ship her to me (if only that was possible :( )

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
I really don't know what to say to what you wrote above, except I give up in wasting my time with you. I train my dogs as I owe it to them as a responsible owner, I need them to learn right from wrong.

Good luck or a miricle, because nothing will change.

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Roxy said:
I really don't know what to say to what you wrote above, except I give up in wasting my time with you. I train my dogs as I owe it to them as a responsible owner, I need them to learn right from wrong.

Good luck or a miricle, because nothing will change.
Nikki, I said I DO train my dogs, and I WILL, as they are my responsibility. I'm just saying that I don't have as much free time as most people. Many of you have spouses or family members or at least friends that can help you. If you're married, you take for granted that you probably have someone to help with your housework so that frees up some time to train your dogs. I don't have that luxury. It's just me here. I work 36-52 hrs per week, I sleep, I am a mom, housekeeper, cook, maid, etc. You have to understand MY lifestyle in order to give suggestions that work around my schedule. I am not trying to be difficult here, I'm being realistic and honest. This is what I have to work with, and I'm sorry you feel that's a waste of your time.
None of my family help me, I work 40 plus hours a week. I'm a mum of 3 children, 2 would never help, ones a baby so can't. Lfe aint a stroll for me. I'm divorced btw.

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
Well, I have just got back from a small bedtime walk incoporated with some close work and a few halts too.

Just so you don't feel alone, I live in pain everyday, I have a hernia...I have also recently had two bone biospy, still waiting for reports and still in very much pain as the bone in my mouth is still showing. I really don't know how I could cope with out my dogs. I walk as much as I can to get away from the rigma roll of life , without them to help me break up my day and watch them run carefree and happy makes life a little bit easier to cope with.

Good night, this superwoman has yet another hectic day tomorrow. I have to open and get a shcool ready for 600 plus children ensuring they are all safe and secure.

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
No, I honestly don't think she needs it. Nala isn't "anxious" really... She will come right up to me and want kisses and snuggles, wags her tail and is very calm. It's when I approach her, or make direct eye contact and walk toward her that she runs away. She will eventually come to me though. I just want her to come to me every time. She doesn't seem like she's scared all the time, but yet not content either. She isn't a rambunctious, curious puppy. She's more reserved, hesitant, less trusting of others, unsure of herself, timid. For instance, I don't think I've ever heard her bark. She doesn't play like normal puppies. She kind of hides a lot, like under the table, or in her doghouse when she's outside. You can't really medicate this, I don't think. It's just her personality, but I don't know how much of that I can change, and whether or not it will lead to something like fear-biting. I just want my son to be safe, and I don't think I can put a guarantee on ANY dog, much less a fearful one.

I think it all depends on if I am a gambling woman, and when it comes to my son... I'm not. It's just SO hard because it hasn't reached that point, you know? She's not a danger RIGHT NOW. I don't know what to do. I'd like to re-home her, but I don't know if that's possible.
Give her up, If you show any signs of anger to this dog, you will take more steps backward. Use your time to find a home that can help Nala, do we not have any foster on here that can help?

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
I just watched your video, and Heaven is a very clever dog, Koa looks like he's going to be head strong and Nala is so much like Marlee! You have done such a great job with Heaven.

I know you don't want to hear any more advice and you feel you have enough, but I still say you have not got the time to train 2 more dogs. Roxy & I will be training for the rest of my life, my trainer has already told me I must always be ontop of Roxy, she is very dominant and very hi prey drive , my training her is part of me being the boss. Whereas Marlee will probably be out of training in a few mouths. Some dogs you cannot just train in a several mouths and hope that will be it.

One has got to go, then you can didicate your time to just one. Come on look what you have achieved with Heaven you could do the same for Koa or Nala.

Trina, I'm not letting this drop, otherwise we'll see a post in a few months time with a heading I will dread opening. Please think hard now.

Which dog do you feel you have more control over and able to train? not which dog has the prettiest eyes and cutes button kisses nose....

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
I think once you got one dog in training you follow it threw at home with the other dog. I rarely take Marlee, only to show off what I have taught her at home. Get Koa into training, then Heaven will pick it up too. Plus you get to meet some hunky blokes at training, the dogs are great conversation started. :lol:

So all you got to do now is find a good home for Nala, hopefully one of our foster mum can help you find her a good home, but keep her with you till one is found. Don't feel guilty, look at it as helping Nala, if she had gone somewhere else prior to you, someone that couldn't be bothered to reaserch help, what would her life hold for her.

Be her foster mum, be pleased that you can offer her that :love5:

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
nanniesrock said:
Roxy said:
I think once you got one dog in training you follow it threw at home with the other dog. I rarely take Marlee, only to show off what I have taught her at home. Get Koa into training, then Heaven will pick it up too. Plus you get to meet some hunky blokes at training, the dogs are great conversation started. :lol:

So all you got to do now is find a good home for Nala, hopefully one of our foster mum can help you find her a good home, but keep her with you till one is found. Don't feel guilty, look at it as helping Nala, if she had gone somewhere else prior to you, someone that couldn't be bothered to reaserch help, what would her life hold for her.

Be her foster mum, be pleased that you can offer her that :love5:
I totally agree. Look into seeing if you can find a trainer that will come to your house, and make sure Kain is there, too, so he can work with "his" dog. Then you can be spending quality time with your son, and your dogs.

What ever you do, don't feel guilty. Remember that Heaven deserves your attention, and you had her first. You'll find Nala a terrific home, and she doesn't have to go anywhere until you find the right fit.
Send Lisa in, She'll whipped em into shape :lol:

but think that is a great idea. I have lots of walks with my sons, it is such a great time to talk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.