Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I are getting a bull terrier puppy this weekend. Everywhere I have read says how hard they are to train. He is convinced he can train the dog himself (with my help of course), but I really want to take the dog to obedience classes/training, for the training benefit and the socialization benefit.

I know that he is very capable of training a dog, as he has had a dog before, however, the bull terrier seems a little bit different from what I have read online.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
He could probably teach your future dog basic obedience on his own-I taught Bogart most of his obedience and tricks on my own, but I still took him to puppy school. Like you said, socialization with other dogs and people is a large part of early training.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I am teaching my AB, Tora, her OB and I think the most important factor is
Consistency, consistency, consistency!!!!!!!! If you teach your dog to sit say it once and mean business, meaning, do not ever get a command that you are not willing to enforce!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough!! By enforce, I do not mean slap your dog in a sit position. With Tora, I work on a command for a few weeks daily with tons of treats and praise for compliance, there is no discipline at this stage. After I am confidant, she knows the command I begin discipline for noncompliance. My form of discipline first comes in the form of a loud NAAA noise if she does not respond. Phases two of noncompliance is a tap under the chin (I do mean tap not slap) and place her in position, then praise when she is where I want her. As your confidant, that your dog knows a command start adding distractions to the mix, oh, I forgot to mention start training in a quite place. Now mind you the more difficult the command is to learn take that in to account as to when to begin discipline for wrong behavior. Sit should be fairly quick and easy for a dog to learn but other commands may take longer. Come is sometimes a difficult for your dog to obey in heavy distractions, if they have difficulty learning the command there is no shame in backing up your training to an earlier phase and build up to more difficult situations. Good luck!!!

I am sure that there will people that disagree with the way I do it but that is ok find what you are comfortable with!!!!!! This is just my way.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Marlee started puppy classes at 12 weeks and she is loving it! Puppies need short burst of training, never over do it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts