Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

that is what I see most often.
The only time I see them down or folded it has always been a picture of a puppy
What I would like to know is if this is natural for the bull terrier's ears, and if not what has been done to them to get them to stand up like that.

At some point in my life I despirately want to own one of these goofs, but all I can do for the moment is research.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
They're natually prick. Wolves and other dog ancestors also have prick ears, and it's actually floppy ears that are more distant in evolution.

Purple, Dexter is sooooo cute! His face is so expressive. :D

Here's Tala doing a Dexter impersonation:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Inokebadger said:

that is what I see most often.
The only time I see them down or folded it has always been a picture of a puppy
What I would like to know is if this is natural for the bull terrier's ears, and if not what has been done to them to get them to stand up like that.

At some point in my life I despirately want to own one of these goofs, but all I can do for the moment is research.
It is natural, but they are down or folded as long as the puppys change their teeth.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those bull terriers are CUTE!
as far as i've seen, most dogs with prick ears are born with floppy ears. as the cartilage gets rigid and gets stronger, then the ears stand up. my ACD and my amstaff mix both have prick ears, they were floppy when they were puppies.
My ACDs ears didnt fully stand up on their own until she was around 6 months old. one would always flop over. and when it finally would stand up, the other would fall down again. it was too cute.
our vet said to also not play with their ears (bend them over, grab them) when they were puppies so as not to damage them.

Here's Chloe my Australian Cattledog at around 2 months:

Here she is at 4 years old:

And here's Honey, our Amstaff mix. her mom was an Amstaff, we dont know what Dad was. and this is also proof that even huge ears can stand upright! no taping or anything.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts

She's so cute, she looks like a giant Chihuahua in this picture. Is your ACD a handful? I've got a fried who has a Red like you and she has alot of problems with her. I don't think my friend fully understood how much time a herding dog needs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
she can be a handful at times. especially when she gets bored. she has to have a job to do. her main job is to round up the dogs and bring them inside when it's time. she also picks up all the toys around the house.
and she loves stuffed toys. so we get her a bunch of those and she's occupied by them. we call them her "babies". and she's a packrat. she will just pick up whatever and hide it in her "stash" under the bed. if something is missing, we know where to find it.
they are a working breed. and most people forget that. they make good family pets, but they need to be worked or they will drive you nuts.
when we dont give chloe anything to do or if we go off of the routine, she gets a little nutty.
most ACDs only get around 35 lbs so people think that they would make a good apartment dog...actually they're the WORST apt dog.
we got a litter of ACDs in a couple weeks ago, and there were a lot of people interested in them. they were really sweet cute pups. but i had to deter people who lived in apts from adopting them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
When I was small I lived on a farm and my papa had several cattle dog running loose. They would always circle me to keep me in the yard when I played with my friends. I hated it! Hindsight....Those were some awesome dogs!![/i]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts