Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bub has been eating the berries (raspberries) that are falling from our tree in the back yard. It is impossible to keep him from eating them unless we watch him every minute he is outside. I haven't noticed any difference in his eating habits but we have noticed a huge difference in Mr. #2 :shock:

Any chance this is coming from the berries and are they toxic to pups?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Not sure, but I would guess they are just irritating his tummy, probably not toxic. I wish we had a tree like that in our yard. I love fruit, but the only thing that grows in this fire is palm trees and mesquite trees. No fruit there.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't believe they are poisonous, but if he's eating too much, that would cause him to have diarrhea. Same as if people eat too much fruit and veggies. Makes it awfully difficult to "poop and scoop" tho, huh? :lol:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
There are poisonous berries out there, but they're typically wild. You would know if they were poisonous b/c he would be sick or dead :shock: But any kind of fruit is a natural roughage, so it will definately cause diarrhea. We have the same issue with Koda, because our neighbor has grape vines along the connecting fence in our back yard, and he eats them all the time!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Raspberries are very seedy, and just as applejuice works on may humans stomaches, berries will prolly do the same if eaten in abundance.

Poor puppy! And they dont learn 2 many breeies=2 many poos!!Lol, poor thing!

My oldest dog had shared a grape kool aid frozen pop once with my kids, and get the poos from the suger I think, and it was flourescent(sp?) green, bright as can be, stained all the throw rugs!!!Purple artificial sugery things are made with green crystals!!Lol...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Are you sure they're raspberries? I don't know that much about gardening, but I thought raspberries plants were thorny vines that need to be supported with trellis or something to grow upright. Is there a tree form?

I don't think raspberries are toxic, but probably not the easiest thing to digest, especially if he's eating large amounts at a time. Can you prevent him from accessing the plants? Maybe put up some kennel fencing or something around where they fall?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beetle said:
Are you sure they're raspberries? I don't know that much about gardening, but I thought raspberries plants were thorny vines that need to be supported with trellis or something to grow upright. Is there a tree form?

I don't think raspberries are toxic, but probably not the easiest thing to digest, especially if he's eating large amounts at a time. Can you prevent him from accessing the plants? Maybe put up some kennel fencing or something around where they fall?
I think it is aactually a blueberry bush and they are falling to the ground when they are ripe. I have seen some pink ones but I imagine they are just not ripe yet. I'm just wondering if they contain an acid that could be causing the #2 issue.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Blueberries or blackberries? If they look like raspberries when they aren't ripr, then they're blackberries. They're not toxic so far as I know - you might want to call your vet just to be sure. Don't tell them he has diarreah - just say that you have blackberry vines in your yard and were wondering if it's okay for the dog to eat them. They should give you an answer without pushing you to bring him in.

He's probably just eating too many of them. Also - if he's eating the ones off the ground, they may be fermenting. Uh-oh! Drunk Bubs! :lol:

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
augrad said:
Blueberries or blackberries? If they look like raspberries when they aren't ripr, then they're blackberries. They're not toxic so far as I know - you might want to call your vet just to be sure. Don't tell them he has diarreah - just say that you have blackberry vines in your yard and were wondering if it's okay for the dog to eat them. They should give you an answer without pushing you to bring him in.

He's probably just eating too many of them. Also - if he's eating the ones off the ground, they may be fermenting. Uh-oh! Drunk Bubs! :lol:
UH OH! Nothin! I'm gonna start eating them then :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You would know if they were poisonous b/c he would be sick or dead
LMAO ,nice :lol:

Makes it awfully difficult to "poop and scoop" tho, huh?

LOL oh yea that's something I dont want to think of.........LOL

These had me rolling reading through these.Geez James just start making some whine already and stop looking at your dogs poo

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
He's probably just eating too many of them. Also - if he's eating the ones off the ground, they may be fermenting. Uh-oh! Drunk Bubs!
LMAO!!! Maybe that's why he's so chubby??? He's gettin' a berry gut... :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
blackberries grow on vines, my parents have them in their yard and my dogs eat them all the time. They're not poisonous. Blueberries grow on trees and they are healthy for dogs but in moderation. Too much fruit will definitly give him the cannon butt! lots of fiber and acid I would assume! Heidi ate an avocado off of my parent's tree last week, skin and all! She came walking towards me with just the seed in her mouth!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts