Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2 year old rescue Staffie mix (have had her for a year now) and just found out we are due to have our first baby in March. She is a sweet, energetic little pup, and is very patient with other kids (regardless, we'd never leave her alone with a little one), but she is very protective of our house and it takes her a while to warm up to our friends when they come over.

Any suggestions on how to introduce the new baby to the four-legged baby?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
It helps if you start introducing the bully to the baby now. While that is physically impossible, you can start introducing the things the baby will have. Crib, swing, stroller etc. If possible, have a friend or famliy member bring thier baby over for a few hours, so your pup can hear the sound of a baby crying at least once before your baby comes. Take your pup for a walk, and push the empty stroller. This will tell you if #1 if your dog will walk next to the stroller, and #2 if you are able to control the dog and push the stroller safely.

Have your SO bring something of the baby's home from the hospital before you bring the baby home. Let the dog smell it to get use to the scent - praise for being good and only smelling it.

Get into a routine. It will make the transition easier if both the dog and the baby have a routine. Try to stick to the routine as much as possible. It helps make things more predictable for the dog - which will make him more comfortable with the baby.

Be sure to implement a strict pack order. Make sure the dog knows and accepts that he is lower in the pack order then the baby. Don't take away his privleges (unless he is being naughty) just make him wait until you are done with the baby (ie. baby eats first, snuggles first, etc)

Never, ever, ever leave the baby and dog unattended. I know this is common scence - but surprisingly, there are people who have none.

Try to set aside some one-on-one time with your dog everyday.

Congrats - and good luck!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
First of all CONGRATS on the up coming new arrival. Second thanks for your question because I needed it as well. My daughter is due the end of this month. My dog Moose is great but VERY excitable.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I am in the EXACT same situation as you, hehe.

We're expecting in March too..(I hope you're not as sick as I am right now, lol)

We have 2 young dogs, who are our babies, so we are going to do all the research we can before we bring the little one home. The dogs were here first so if anything...the baby is out!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have three kids and two dogs.I had my hubby bring home a blanket each time, one that the baby was in so the dogs could smell and get the new sent.When we came home with our new bundle we would let them be sniffed and give praise to the dogs on how good they were and all went well.The first time they cried they got up and looked but I never had a problem.At the time I only had Molly, Buster came after I had my kids ( Buster is my 4th kid :D ) Just make sure you give the dogs equal attention and all will be fine.Once those lil ones start eating solids they will become the dogs best friend, no one drops food as much as tots........lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advice, Tink... I agree that the dog and baby should never be left alone. For that matter, my dog could be a 12-year-old teacup poodle and I still wouldn't leave them alone! I've heard about bringing a baby blanket or something home for the dog to smell, but never thought of the stroller idea, which I love!!

I'm glad to see there are a few others out there in the same situation too! No, ChappsnHolly, I'm not too sick right now, but I've lost my appetite for just about everything, meaning I have to force myself to eat, which is not much fun. My friend (who has two staffies) was asked about 3 months before her baby was born what she would do with the dogs if the baby was allergic to them. Her response? "Duh, I'd give the baby allergy medicine." :D

Has anyone thought about bringing the dog and the baby home together? Sometimes Scout is very protective of the house if someone comes over, so I even thought about having my husband come home, get the dog, and then come back for me and the baby... that way, we'd all come into the house together. I maybe totally off here, but it seemed to make some sense.

From everything I've read, bully breeds make amazing family dogs, so I think (hope!) once we settle in, everything should be fine...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I was further along our Dal used to lay her head on my belly since they can feel the baby and hear a little bit. When our son was born I had my husband bring home the receiving blanket that we had our little one wrapped in and let her smell it and sleep with it.

Another thing I was told to do was if it's possible after the baby's born and before you bring your new little one in the house, you go in and actually greet your 4 legged baby first so that they know you're okay then introduce the baby to them.

I know we didn't do this with a bully breed, but our Dal is more of a bully than our actual bully, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.