Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time up here in NJ temps have exceeded 90 degrees, and Janie doesnt like it a bit!

I know some of you live win warm weather states...any advice on how to help deal? Any warning signs etc?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate does horrible in hot weather... she lovesss the hose though so I spray that for her a lot. We are also going to get a small plastic pool at walmart and keep it outside.

Also for walks... try taking them for walks early in the morning and then after the sun goes down so it is slightly cooler

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I think a lot of people on here use baby pools to let the dogs cool off. Mine just lie around in the shade, but it hasn't gotten that hot yet. Once my AC is installed, they will probably lounge around the house.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Keep them in the house. If that is not an option, try googling a search on portable air conditioners. My father in law patented them living here in Fla for his dogs years ago. Long since sold the business, but if they must be outside it is a great option to keep cool.

They are basically a Coleman cooler. In the side of it is a hole cut out and a small fan placed in it (computer fan) and the fan is wired to a car battery(For outdoor use) You fill the cooler full of ice, start the fan, and it blows ice cold air for several months on one battery.

You can recharge the battery as well. That is how he made it. Such a simple idea, he made a ton! He uses them in cars as well if you have to leave your dog in a car, plugs into cigerette lighter.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
sajoseph said:
Keep them in the house. If that is not an option, try googling a search on portable air conditioners. My father in law patented them living here in Fla for his dogs years ago. Long since sold the business, but if they must be outside it is a great option to keep cool.

They are basically a Coleman cooler. In the side of it is a hole cut out and a small fan placed in it (computer fan) and the fan is wired to a car battery(For outdoor use) You fill the cooler full of ice, start the fan, and it blows ice cold air for several months on one battery.

You can recharge the battery as well. That is how he made it. Such a simple idea, he made a ton! He uses them in cars as well if you have to leave your dog in a car, plugs into cigerette lighter.
Steph, where can you buy those?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Since he sold the business, Im not sure, but I will do a search. Honestly, for what he was selling them for, you can make one for 1/3 the price.Ill post a link if I find one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,

Dogs sweat from their feet and their underside. So the best way of cooling them down is to wet their feet and belly :wink: Alot of people think that by tipping water on their dogs backs they will cool down, but unless the water actually gets through to the skin it wont, and still wont be as effective as wetting the feet :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
solidstaffs said:
Hi,

Dogs sweat from their feet and their underside. So the best way of cooling them down is to wet their feet and belly :wink: Alot of people think that by tipping water on their dogs backs they will cool down, but unless the water actually gets through to the skin it wont, and still wont be as effective as wetting the feet :D
Thanks...I was wondering if the heat was bothering her paw pads - I was thinking if I wet them it would just make a nasty steam ....NYC requires walking everywhere...there's no 'yard' so the walks are crucial...and it's been a struggle - not to mention emabrrassing dragging my 50lb pitbull out to the curb! lolol

·
Registered
197 Posts
phoenix said:
solidstaffs said:
Hi,

Thanks...I was wondering if the heat was bothering her paw pads - I was thinking if I wet them it would just make a nasty steam ....NYC requires walking everywhere...there's no 'yard' so the walks are crucial...and it's been a struggle - not to mention emabrrassing dragging my 50lb pitbull out to the curb! lolol
You're welcome :D

The best thing to do is to take a squirty water bottle with you filled with cold water. Something like a water spray that you spray plants with. I'm trying to explain what i mean and i dont know if it would be something else in the States :lol: Anyway i'm sure you get the idea, take it with you when you take your dogs out and just spray their feet and underside with it :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
solidstaffs said:
phoenix said:
solidstaffs said:
Hi,

You're welcome :D

The best thing to do is to take a squirty water bottle with you filled with cold water. Something like a water spray that you spray plants with. I'm trying to explain what i mean and i dont know if it would be something else in the States :lol: Anyway i'm sure you get the idea, take it with you when you take your dogs out and just spray their feet and underside with it :wink:

awesome idea ....she may like that :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
We have a pool for them to get in. My AB loves to lounge in the pool!! They stay inside most of the time, but when I am trying to clean, have company or just get a few things done with out them under my feet, I put their butts out to play. If is real hot, well humid and hot as it is most of the time in Louisiana, I plug up a box fan under the patio and they lay in front of it!! Make sure they have plenty water!! Mine also love to eat ice!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys. a thunderstorm came through here last night and cooled us off a bit....she is back to being her old puppy self again!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My 3 love water-we have a small lake near our house and they love to swim and jump around! The hose works wonders, as well as a baby pool. We limit their walks when it's hot. We take them early in the morning and later at night when the temperature is much cooler. Or they just do what they do best, steal the couch and the air conditioner!!!

My female Mercedes is more of a standard AB so she can handle it a little more than the other 2. They get tuckered out pretty quick when its 90 degrees outside!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
When I take Orson for his walks, we always try to find someone with a sprinkler on. He loves trying to get a drink from a moving target, plus he gets wet and cools down.
Do you think him wearing dog booties would be a good idea to keep his feet from burning on the sidewalks, or would it just make him hotter having his paws covered since that is one way of sweating?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts