Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now Tuesday almost 7 am. Bully's been home for <48 hrs, but adjusting beautifully. Shawn,I can't really answer your question yet. I'm still getting to know him, & but I don't think he's 100% himself yet. So, he may be a tad homesick, but I can assure you he will get over it, b/c I could never let him go. :wink: I am that attached to him already. He is also forming strong bonds with us. He wants one of us in his sight at all times.
He is quickly warming up to Harley (and she tries so hard to be friends). The very first night he romped with her in the backyard. Yesterday they played for even longer, and wrestled on the ground. They are a terrific match-up, however I can tell Bully is not at full strength or energy, and right now Halrey could easily overpower him. During playtime, she has asserted her dominance (her head over his shoulders), and he has been quick to grant it to her. I seriously doubt that will always be the case. In the house, I nip that sh!t right in the bud. Outside, however, I give them more leeway. So here's a question:

Should I let them (under my supervision) "duke it out" a bit when these squirmishes pop up? Will they be less likely to fight if I take the mystery out of it by allowing them to establish themselves?

I had 2 sisters, and we're all within 3 years of each other. My parents never broke up a fight, they let them go. We hardly ever fought. We were not the kids constantly pestering each other, driving our parents nuts. Does the concept apply to dogs? Obviously I would never let it go too far, but is there anything wrong with them working it out?

Both dogs see me as Alpha, period. They both respect us (Me, Jamie, Hailey). We control resources (especially now with 2 dogs, high value resources are never just laying around). There is no question who is at the top of the totem pole.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
I let my two play when I want them too, and when I say 'enough' they retreat and do their own thing. It's a bit like having kids...there is only so much a parent can take before u impload and bellow..That is enough!!!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Glad to hear he's adjusting. There's no reason that Harley can't assert her dominance over Bully, as long as he's willing to accept that. I don't correct my dogs when they are playing like that. If it starts to get loud then I step in. As long as they're starting out as play and not over food or toys it should be alright, I would think. They work it out amongst themselves who's the "alpha" (next to the people of course!) and I don't try to mess with that.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kasco said:
Glad to hear he's adjusting. There's no reason that Harley can't assert her dominance over Bully, as long as he's willing to accept that. I don't correct my dogs when they are playing like that. If it starts to get loud then I step in. As long as they're starting out as play and not over food or toys it should be alright, I would think. They work it out amongst themselves who's the "alpha" (next to the people of course!) and I don't try to mess with that.
This is exactly the kind of advice I need....thanks!!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Kasco said:
This exactly what i do with Rocket and Cinder. So far, Rocket is a very submissive dog...but only with females, since I dont' try my luck and have him around any males. My inlaw's have a tiny EB and she TOTALLY Bosses him around...won't let him up the deck stairs, takes his ball and runs off...Rocket just goes with the flow. Cinder isn't dominant with him either...she's very laidback as well, so it rarely gets too intense. When it does, it's usually because one of them accidentally hurt the other one while they played.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
I think what you're doing is fine. BUT, the one thing you really have to keep in mind with bulldogs......IF AND WHEN they get to a point where the jockeying for position goet to far, in to an all-out fight that you have to quickly break up, that's when it may be to late to go back to the way it was. Don't EVER let it go to far. Always be right there to stop it before it's past "bickering." Trust me, that just happened to me last week with Mosley and Messiah. Now, they can't be inside the house in eye sight of each other...or I don't want to let the, because they instantly go in to attack mode now. So, it's crate and rotate for me from now on, unless I can figure something out. You SHOULD be fine w/ a male and female, especially those two. But, if and when they ever get "that" look in their eye, you'll know it and they may always have that look toward each other from that point on. I don't want to worry you, but it is something you should and surely already have considered. Just don't let them "duke it out" to the point of fighting. I hope that helped a little bit. I'm so glad he's settling in so quickly. And, I'm extremely happy that you're happy with him.

~S

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy doesn't begin to describe....He is such a fantastic dog. We went to the park today & there was a dog out in her yard on the other side of the fence. Bully never growled, got his hackles up or anything. He was great. This was the park where there are 5-6 fenced acres & I was a bit afraid to let him off leash...but I did & he would never get far without returning to my side. He likes to be right on my feet & I'm all for that. I love having that focus. It's illustrated to me that Harley should be put on a strict NILF though. I've never had a problem with her...it's just that she needs to be quicker to obey. I don't like her taking her own sweet time about stuff :roll:
We started some basic OB this morning, & I'm hoping it will help that Harley's already trained. I'm working with both dogs in a small room, hoping that he'll pick up on what she's doing. I gave the sit command (with the hand signal I've always used) and while Harley is fine, he doesn't seem to appreciate being put into positition. I'm sure we'll work it out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
BanterBull said:
I think what you're doing is fine. BUT, the one thing you really have to keep in mind with bulldogs......IF AND WHEN they get to a point where the jockeying for position goet to far, in to an all-out fight that you have to quickly break up, that's when it may be to late to go back to the way it was. Don't EVER let it go to far. Always be right there to stop it before it's past "bickering." Trust me, that just happened to me last week with Mosley and Messiah. Now, they can't be inside the house in eye sight of each other...or I don't want to let the, because they instantly go in to attack mode now. So, it's crate and rotate for me from now on, unless I can figure something out. You SHOULD be fine w/ a male and female, especially those two. But, if and when they ever get "that" look in their eye, you'll know it and they may always have that look toward each other from that point on. I don't want to worry you, but it is something you should and surely already have considered. Just don't let them "duke it out" to the point of fighting. I hope that helped a little bit. I'm so glad he's settling in so quickly. And, I'm extremely happy that you're happy with him.
~S
I agree with BanterBull on this....

I had two bitches that I thought I would let them work it out... big mistake on my part. It went too far within seconds and I was able to break it up with only being bitten once, but from that point on they wouldn't let it go! They couldn't even be in the kennels next to each other! Both fine with all the other dogs though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wrknrott said:
BanterBull said:
~S
I agree with BanterBull on this....

I had two bwitches that I thought I would let them work it out... big mistake on my part. It went too far within seconds and I was able to break it up with only being bitten once, but from that point on they wouldn't let it go! They couldn't even be in the kennels next to each other! Both fine with all the other dogs though.
:? I hope this isn't too fine of a line...it sounds like things could be fine one minute, then the next I'm permantley screwed. Is there some type of warning besides "the look" which Bully makes at her several times a day?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
how is the deaf part working out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts