Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be awesome to highlight some of the little guys (okay,not so little) that came from rescue situations.
It is a great thing to be apart of! Cheers to all the people who love/keep/support these little guys until they come into their own forever homes!!
xo

SEMPER IN REALLY POOR PHYSICAL CONDITION ON THE DAY WE MET HIM.....08/2005

THE HANDSOME BEAST HE HAS TRANSITIONED INTO RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES 10/2005

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Semper's story is one of my favorite on the forum. You guys are very brave in tackling the challenges with Semper. Looks like you were rewarded with a great pup! :D

Satchmo was a stray rescue somewhere in Arizona. He was rescued with his brother, who was black. Both, for some unknown reason, ended up in Kansas City. My girlfriend decided it was time to try fostering pitties from muttsandstuff.com. Satchmo was the first. I warned her that she was gonna fall in love with the first pup she fostered. She did, just not as bad as me. :mrgreen:

Here he is the day we got him, he was pekid from a bad case of roundworm:

And now:

I don't beleive he was abused or neglected, making me wonder why anyone would give him up.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ah, my looker is a shelter pup!

Darla's shelter page

1st day at home

9 months old

She was at the Los Angeles Shelter with 6 siblings, 3 months old, barely any info. They were surrendered the night before adoption. We adopted her at 10am the morning they were available for adoption. She was actually choice number 3 on our chart :lol: But when we saw her she quickly became choice number one! She ran over to my hubby, he picked her up and she nestled right in his arms, when he looked down at her she thought and decided, yup I'll go for a lick. Instant love. I still had to check all the puppies for health and structure reason. She was the most sound. And she is just the best dog around. So pleased with the training and how quickly she just fit, it's like she's always been here!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I found Heaven at the local pound while I was there looking for an older bully-type dog, one that would already be trained/housebroken. They handed her to me, and I said...."Nooooo, I wasn't looking for a puppy!" The guy insisted I just hold her for a while and see what I think. She was 3 mos old. He put her on a little leash... she stood there shaking with her tail between her legs, her bones were jutting out because she had been starving for so long. I sat down on a bench, and she SLOWLY came to me. Then she licked my hand, and it was all over. Had to take her home. :D I planned on just fostering her until I could find her a good home, but after about a week... I was so much in love with her, that I couldn't give her up for anything.

And look how my pretty girl has grown......

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Wow Trina! I didn't remember how bad she looked when you got her. KUDOS to you all!! =D>

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
This was a great idea for a thread!! My next dog will be a rescue :)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I got Magnum at the Humane Society - she was surrendered with 10 siblings at about 5 weeks old. There was not much information about them available - I actually went to the HS with my bf at the time to just look at the dogs but I feel in love with Mags instantly! Of all the 11 from her litter - she was the only one with any type of color or markings - the rest of them were solid tan coloring. They were all pushing up against the glass and licking and barking and Mags was over in the corner curled up in a ball looking sweet and pathetic. I wasnt allowed to have a dog at the apartment I lived in at the time but I couldn't leave her so I took her home anyway!!! She turned two in October - I couldn't live without her! I am always looking on the rescue sites for another one to take in - but its going to have to wait until I get a house because my apartment is too small for even one dog!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well, mine isn't that great but to me it is wonderful! My husband is a paint and body tech and he worked with a younger kid named Justin whom originally owned Sugar. Well, for some reason he couldn't keep her, that was around June of 2004. Dave, another guy up at the shop decided he would take her.... That lasted about 4 months and then was hitting all the guys up at the shop to take her for lame ass reasons...I don't have time, she is too big, she plays too rough with my kid, ect... Well all along Glen (my husband) is talking about how great Sugar is and how beautiful she is and how horribly mean Dave is to her (he is the one that punched her in the head when she did something wrong) so on and so on....trying to sell the idea of getting her to me. He is telling me "It is a great idea because you work at the clinic so we can take care of her easily" and blah blah blah...I was like, NO I don't want a dog. Keep in mind I was still pregnant and due anyday. Turbo Bitch Mode!! LOL Well Isabella was born on the 11th of October and needless to say we staked our claim on Sugar October the 20th 2005. I came home to her and a 40# Bag of Ol' Roy. I was immediately in love. The food was donated and she is no longer owned by anyone, she is a Lyons now, she is my friend, my best friend, my companion, my protector, my Sugar Booger Bear and she will never have to worry about a thing for the rest of her life!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Pitchic27 said:
Ah, my looker is a shelter pup!

Darla's shelter page
Hahaha!...With a pic like that you didn't stand a chance! Look at those eyes! She has really matured nicely too!

bodazafa=you should tack some pics of Mags onto this thread!

These are all such great stories and great dogs!

It sucks to know that there are dogs just as good gettting looked over at pounds across the country due to a misconception. :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our dog Zeke was a pound puppy from North Carolina... and when we got him he fit in a shoe box he was sooo tiny!! well here he is now at 5 1/2 years old

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
per request ... here are some pics of my baby girl....

the night I brought her home - I couldn't say no to that face...

this was her at around 16 weeks during her awkward "my ears are too big for my head stage"....

and some random ones of her and myself and how big of a spoiled brat she is...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My OD was a rescue. He was found living in a wrecking yard all by himself at 10 weeks old. Nobody knows how long he was there, or how he got there. Here's a photo of him all cleaned up the first week I took him in:

10 weeks old.

This he is now:

This is my lovely golden retreiver mix who sadly passed away at age 12 earlier this year. She was a rescue found living under a house my mom and I rented so many years ago (when I was 15):

Yes, that's a mohawk. She always had that.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
The mohawk is too funny! :lol:

Here's Buster's story:

He came from Cherokee County Animal Control's shelter, north of metro Atlanta. There is a volunteer there who frequently emails rescues and works very hard to get the dogs out of there and into rescue. Such was the case with Buster. He was picked up as a stray, neutered and healthy as a horse, but never claimed. It didn't make any sense at all. They wouldn't release him for adoption because they don't have anyone on staff to temperment test him (so stupid); they would only release to rescue. But anyway, her email was cross-posted, and at the time I was dating a guy whose ex had taken their OEB when they split, and he had been longing for another bully ever since. He was interested, so I drove to east bumble to pick him up, then I kept him for a few days so that I could see his temperment. So anyway, long story short(er), the ex took him and kept him for about a month, but was working too much and basically was an @$$ anyway, so I took Buster back with the intention of placing him back up for adoption. Well, that idea didn't last two days. He never saw another adoption event. :D

So my advice? Dump the @$$hole, keep the dog! :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts