Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 mo old english bully keeps breaking out in little bumps all over her back... they're not itching her, and she's been treated for fleas & all the sort... it seems to get worse everytime she goes outside... grass allergies maybe? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am calling the vet on mon... Thanks.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Sounds like hives. She could be allergic to grass or any other sort of plant out there. Benadryl should help. My AB broke out in nasty hives once, same as you describe. Gave him one fast melt children's Benadryl and within 20 min they were gone.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
most likely hives froma alergic reaction from something
i just went threw this with biz

took him to the vet and he got a shot and 2 perscriptions
Diphenhydramine which is basicly benadryle
and Prednisone to give if the first one didnt take care of it

the first stopped then from getting worse but didnt take them away
so i added the other one
as per the vets instructions

that did the trick he all better now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree we thing it's a reaction too. The lil bumps still arent itching her but now they're kinda scabbing up on their own and her hair is falling out where the lil scabs heal....we're really worried, the poor baby is gonna look like swiss cheese before long! We've been giving her benedryl & going to the vet tomorrow, but has anyone else ever had this problem before???

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's an allergie for sure...! Sasha used to get that all the time, until we started feeding raw and discovered she was allergic to chicken! It's not hard to tell if it's an allergie, it's harder to find out what exactly the dog is allergic to!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Good idea to take her to the vet, to rule out other things. If this is what's happening whenever you take her outside, then it probably is an allergic reaction. You can have allergy testing done, but it's not always conclusive and it can be expensive. You can give her Claritin, once a day, to help control allergies (one 10 mg pill as long as she's over 50 lbs) and Benadryl as needed.

It's much easier to CONTROL allergies before a reaction starts...it saves your dog the misery of being itchy and uncomfortable. Giving Claritn as a prevntative will help.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
the BIG&thelittle said:
do a skin scraping. If they are scabing and there is hair loss it sounds like demodex.
hives do not get scabs and they don't make hair fall out.
They do if it's allergic dermatitis. Some dogs with allergies do not get the little zits that get all scabby, they just get hives or hot spots that go away. Some get dermatitis from inhalant allergies, flea allergies, food allergies, bacterial, etc... Usually you need a antihistamine and antibiotic to help clear it up.

My dog Spooky was treated for mange before we went to a dermatologist. She had little scabby zits all over her head (started out as hives) and lost most of her hair on the top of her head. It looked like mange. Unless you see your vet and get scrappings done, you won't be sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.