Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly our 7 year old Dalmation is the dominate dog.Buster who is now 6 months has started what I call testing her to see if he can be the dominate dog.He will jump out of know were and pounce on her.He places his front legs and paws on her back and wont get down till Molly snaps.Today it got a bit ugly they started barking and snarling at one another and were running circles around each other till I yelled ( at the top of my lungs ) to stop which they did.Come feeding time Buster gets fed in his crate and molly in the kitchen.Molly eats very fast unlike Buster who savors every last drop :roll:
so when Molly is done she will come to sniff Busters crate and if he is in there eating he freaks out barking and snapping at her.Molly has bit his ear twice and left two scars.Molly normally gets the upper hand and puts him in his spot and he will roll over to his belly and summit but lately he isn't haven it.Do I let them go to decide who is the dominate dog or do I interfere?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just my opinion ;) But I'd put Buster in his place, and not let him even TRY to dominate a 7yr. old female dog. Enforce the alpha role with Molly, and Buster, well it just isn't his time to be an alpha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is my first time using this, and am trying to ask a question, so please bear with me ! We have a 9 month old english bulldog (Vicki) that we have had since she was 8 weeks old, and we have a 2 year old doberman (Blitzen)that we have had since 8 weeks old, both females, doby is fixed, they've gotten along great until recently, and they seem to be fighting over who is dominant ???, one moment they will be playing and the next they are out for blood. So now we keep them separated all the time, we put a door up to seperate the front half of the house and the back half, rotate them to the bedrooms when we need to let them out. How do we stop the fighting ? They don't fight all the time, just once in a while and the dob. got along great with our schnauser up until he passed along. So what is the problem? We've heard that english bulldogs are basically couch potato's, and practically comatose from being so lazy, so why are we having problems? My husband suggested muzzles for both of them, so at least they could be in the same room, i shot that down . Any suggestions? I'm desperate ! I've had 7 stitches put in because of them fighting and i guess when we had them separated, i didn't give the b.dog time to calm down before disiplining her, she must have thought it was the other dog and took a chunk out of my arm. So now you see why i am desp. for help ! :!: :!: :?: :?:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had 7 stitches put in because of them fighting and i guess when we had them separated, i didn't give the b.dog time to calm down before disiplining her, she must have thought it was the other dog and took a chunk out of my arm. So now you see why i am desp. for help !

That's dreadful. I would be very concerned and to be honest darn right scared.

What do you mean by disciplining her ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Someone PM'd me and asked a very good question so I thought I would post some information about the subject.
How can you tell which dog is dominant and which dog is beta?
Here are some ways in which to tell:

"The first thing to do when you have two or more dogs is to figure out which one of your dogs is "alpha." The alpha dog usually displays the following characteristics:

· ALWAYS wins at tug-of-war with the other dogs.

· RECEIVES the most attention from the other dogs, sometimes not wanting the attention.

· RARELY or NEVER licks the other dogs on the mouth.

· Wins all STARING CONTESTS with the other dogs.

· May become JEALOUS when the other dogs receive attention from you.

· May STEAL or GUARD toys, chewiest, food, etc.

· Usually has FIRST CHOICE of the best sleeping areas.

· May push his way to be FIRST out and in doorways.

· May MOUNT the other dogs (male or female).

In contrast, the "omega" dog usually displays the following characteristics:

· ALWAYS gives up first at tug-of-war with the other dogs.

· GIVES the most attention and affection to the other dogs, usually licking their mouths, especially the "alpha" dog's mouth.

· LOOKS AWAY when being stared at by the other dogs, and probably by you too.

· Freely GIVES UP toys, chewies, food, sleeping areas, etc. to the other dogs.

· Rolls on back and displays "BELLY" to other dogs, and probably to you too.

· May pee upon greeting the other dogs, and possibly people too.

· In most situations the alpha and omega are the easiest positions to determine, and if you only have two dogs, the determination is usually much easier to make! With more than two dogs you can run into dogs trading omega positions depending on the day. You can also have a "close second" alpha dog that is either the "Alpha Female" to the true top dog: the "Alpha Male;" or the "Beta" who is a dominant dog, yet still second to the "Alpha." This wonderful web of personalities will need to be explained in another article (it can get pretty complicated!)"

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I never allow this type of behaviour between my dogs. I don't believe in "letting them work it out". I know I am probably in the minority here. I just don't see why anyone would want one of their dogs to always be put its in place? I want my dogs confident in themselves. I don't want one always being beat down and I also don't want the vet bills that may sometimes come along if things between them escalate! You also don't want to keep risking injury to your human family members who may get stuck in the middle of 2 fighting dogs. I know most people here want this big happy family to exist between all the dogs in their home but this is not important to me. If I can have dogs live together peacefully, then so be it but I won't force the issue. I have better things to do with my dogs that spend time training them to leave eachother alone. If they cant get along they are separated, simple as that. The most important thing to me is that my dogs enjoy being with ME. I really could care less about them being friends together because I want them looking to me for thier fun and stimualtion, not eachother which can sometimes be conter productive to anyone who is trying to obedeicne train their dogs anyways. To each their own but if you are looking for advice I would separate these dogs. To your Dalmation, Buster is just an annoying little pup and if you keep allowing him to annoy her she may get fed up and REALLY put him in his place. You can only expect a dog to take so much.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice.I will no longer let this behavior happen.I dont want anything to happen between either of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts