Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in a book, that some by-products are good for dog :shock: Now before you go into yelling mode, let me tell you why she thinks that. When wolves are hunting prey and they eat there prey, they eat the meat, but they also eat the eyes, the liver, the hooves, and even the lips. But I what she forgot to mention was that along with "by-products" there should also be a meat/protien sources in the food like lamb or chicken. Not just "chicken by-products or lamb by-products". We also have to remember that as gross as it may sound to us, there actually not as bad as we think they are. Just because I learned about this though, does it mean that I will start feeding by-products? No. Do I know now that there not as bad as everyone makes them seem? Yes.

I know some people will disagree with this and go ahead, this is a forum and debating is just part of it and I don't want to start any big things. I just thought this was good information that some people might not know and until I read that, I didn't know it either.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is true

In the wild dogs would actually eat all the by product parts first then the other parts. As long as it says Chicken bu products Lamb by products and such and not just meat. Meat can mean anything. But yes by products arn't as bad as everyone thinks , I don't feed by products but that is a choice not because it is bad for them. Plus most of you out there will eat some form of hot dogs yourselves.
Well nearly every hot dog you eat has by product in it too. My meat cutter friend actually told me what went into them I no longer eat them . The only ones that don't have it in them that I know of is Hebrew National brand. Even the hamburg you buy fresh from the store you think is all ground up beef think again. unless you see them grind up the steak yourselve you'd be surprized at what I have seen go into it. Anyway As long as in doesn't say animal or meat by product and it tells you which kind of by product it is then its not bad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
eyes, liver, hooves, lips are not what are considered by-products to the dog food industry. By-products in the dog food industry is anything they can't use elsewhere. Your dog is eatting bottom of the barrel nastiness.

Feeding your dog organ meat is actually a good thing. If you want to get an idea of a quality meal then just look at RAW diets and what is feed. I would feed RAW but my dog would actually be eating better than me. I just honestly don't have time, I would rather spend money on a quality food and

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
There was an interesting article in the January edition of Dogs in Canada that talked about chicken by products vs chicken meal. The article discussed nutritional content, digestibility, rendering and how the 2 compared to eachother over all.

Basically it says that the quality within these 2 (meal and by products) vary greatly and that is determined by many things that you can not tell from the label on the bag including freshness, quality of the birds, rendering process, and what parts were used.

So, over all, the articles said that "while its true that poultry meal is generally a better quality ingredients than feed grade poultry by product meal, it isn't true that all poultry meals are superior to all poultry by product meals. Within each of these ingredients, quality varies considerably"

The article kind of opened up my eyes a bit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lisa said:
There was an interesting article in the January edition of Dogs in Canada that talked about chicken by products vs chicken meal. The article discussed nutritional content, digestibility, rendering and how the 2 compared to eachother over all.

Basically it says that the quality within these 2 (meal and by products) vary greatly and that is determined by many things that you can not tell from the label on the bag including freshness, quality of the birds, rendering process, and what parts were used.

So, over all, the articles said that "while its true that poultry meal is generally a better quality ingredients than feed grade poultry by product meal, it isn't true that all poultry meals are superior to all poultry by product meals. Within each of these ingredients, quality varies considerably"

The article kind of opened up my eyes a bit.
There is no real governance with dog food. Not like with our food. Do you think that Purina or Pedigree brands are using decent by-products? I would wager no. They are just trucking in the leftovers that couldn't be used for humans.

If I had the time to feed a RAW diet I would. I don't hardly cook for myself because I would rather eat quick and spend time with my dogs.

We feed Dick Van Patten's and I think it is a pretty decent product but no one can ever know for sure unless you go to the factory and see how they make their food on a daily basis.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm sure some of those things are good for a dog as long as they are quality items. The by products in many dog foods can be from diseased animals etc.

I saw one time where someone said it's not exactly right to compare a domestic dog's nutritional needs with that of a wolf in the wild because they have evolved and changed so much. I have no idea if that's true or whatever but I did think it was something interesting to consider.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Wellness

I feed only wellness now because it is supposed to be a top of the line food and they do well on it. But Like you say I have to trust what i hear about it. Because unless you go to the factory where it is made and see for your self you never know. Although wellness is made only 1 hr & 1/2 away from me maybe I'll take a trip someday just to see if their standards are what they claim to be.. LOL
you really never know. I have seen many big company proclaim things and then turn out not to be what they claim years later. So I would just go on your own gut feelings about what you think is right for your dog.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Halo, I feed Wellness too. If you go to the factory be sure to let us all know what you thought of the place!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I don't know about dog food, but I used to live in a town where there was a Heinz plant. I know many people who work there. If you knew what goes into that stuff, you'd never eat ketchup again. I will spare you the horror I have lived with. Let's just say no one in my hometown will eat any Heinz products.

My point is, if people put crap in food made for human comsumption, don't put it passed people to put crap in your dog's food.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I will

I tryed a lot of dog foods but I do like wellness the best I have to say. My pups are so healthy, their coats everything and they love it. It is expensive but it is also well worth it. But I have seriously thought about taking a ride just for the heck of it. I would be really dissapointed if i found they wern't what they claim to be.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I would say if your dogs are healthy, their coats are shiny, their teeth are strong, and they're not troubled with food allergies, the food you're feeding is probably good enough. No matter what the ingredients.

·
Registered
208 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I don't know about dog food, but I used to live in a town where there was a Heinz plant. I know many people who work there. If you knew what goes into that stuff, you'd never eat ketchup again. I will spare you the horror I have lived with. Let's just say no one in my hometown will eat any Heinz products.

My point is, if people put crap in food made for human comsumption, don't put it passed people to put crap in your dog's food.
Don't even get me started on Taco Bell. I still eat a Taco Bell but I do try to avoid the beef. My best friend worked their through high school. Just hearing about how the beef was packaged and how bad it smelled when opened makes me avoid it. my friend was amazed it was considered rated for human consumption.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
jleonar said:
LuvaBULL said:

Don't even get me started on Taco Bell. I still eat a Taco Bell but I do try to avoid the beef. My best friend worked their through high school. Just hearing about how the beef was packaged and how bad it smelled when opened makes me avoid it. my friend was amazed it was considered rated for human consumption.
Thanks for telling me that. I never liked Taco Hell anyway, but it's the only thing open late, so a lot of times, the nurses on night shift will go on a food run. Next time I will say, "I pass."

·
Registered
886 Posts
jleonar said:
LuvaBULL said:

AHHHHH i am goin to pretend you didnt say that, taco BELL is my favorite place

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
jleonar said:
LuvaBULL said:

I worked at Taco Bell for 3 years in high school. There's nothing wrong with the beef. Everything is packaged in plastic and re-heated in hot water.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is some truth to that ambulldogpup. Wild or homeless dogs will eat muscle meat as well as the rest of the animal. The problem with by-products in commercial dog foods is that that is all they use (not all companies), they take the cheap route and fill the dog food with crap.

Some recent dog food companies are using the whole carcass of the animal. It's mostly seen in raw, but I just read about a company who does make both raw and cooked and I believe this is what they do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
jleonar said:
LuvaBULL said:

I worked at Taco Bell for 3 years in high school. There's nothing wrong with the beef. Everything is packaged in plastic and re-heated in hot water.
Did you ever take a smell of that beef, fresh after you open it? Trust me I have. It was the last time I ate it. And I have taken this way off topic. Sorry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts