Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is, do you leave both dogs out while no one is home? if so, at what age or when did you do this?

right now they are both in separate crates, the little guys crate has a blanket over it so they dont see each other. Before we got him, Sally was left out most of the time and now we start leaving her out if we run an errand.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It has been said over and over around the 'net and I believe it is a good idea, to never leave your dogs together while unsupervised.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
First rule of bully ownership: Never trust your bully not to fight.

My dogs are never left out unsupervised. I've had too many things torn up for that.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
How about 7 dog owners??Lol!

No, never.always caged when we are not home!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Mine are never left alone or unsupervised. Especially now that Koda is bigger than Shelby, and he getting more and more dominant every day. When we're not home they are both in their own crate - one in the dining room & one in the living room. While we're home they are with us at all times.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not only is potential fighting a problem, but destruction of your house is another! I've never had 2 bulldog breeds at a time, but I did have a shepxAPBT, and a rotti, and they can get bored even when they have eachother for company, so you may come home to twice the destruction!!! I really don't think dogs mind the crate any less than an empty house (with you not being home).....so might as well crate them!! :)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
apbtgurl26 said:
Especially now that Koda is bigger than Shelby,
Oh my gosh. We really do need new Koda pictures!!!
I was just thinking the same thing! How is it you have gone so long without updating us on him!?! :lol: You really must get some new pics of that boy!

And to the OP-- I agree with everyone else. Crating while no one is home will only keep everyone safe. Why keep them out?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
apbtgurl26 said:
Especially now that Koda is bigger than Shelby,
Oh my gosh. We really do need new Koda pictures!!!
I know I know...bad mommy :oops: Yes, it's true! Koda is taller, and way thicker than Shelby now...he's going to be a moose! :shock:
Well I would love to see Koda turn into Moose. I think it would be cool seeing a dark dog turn WHITE :shock:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
All my dogs are crated while we're gone, except Jazzy. She's the Princess and gets free run of the house. LOL :queen:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I left Orson and my RIP sheepdog out together.
But the sheepdog slept most of the time...
she was old.
But i did put the chew bones up cause they would quarrel
over those.
I dont know if i'd leave them together if she was still alive (and in good health).
He did torment the poor old girl, he just wanted a play buddy!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I owned a pom and a pit at the same time and no they were never kept together alone.
I would keep the pit upstairs in my room and the pom downstairs, NEVER leave two dogs alone together.

My friend owned 7 pits and one AB at one time and she kept them all separate when she wasn't home.
One of her dogs somehow excaped her bedroom and almost killed another, smashed him through the coffee table.
She ended up putting him down after not being able to rehome him, but she ended up buying crates and actually
locking them in them instead of trusting hollow doors to such powerful animals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I leave them together because they are still 5 months old and they have no problems.

To be honest the bitch is top dog so I dont forsee any problems between them later, they have been together since 3 weeks old, and have a special relationship.
She is frisby dominant, but with Moto she never chases him off the way she does all other dogs. She protects him, he protects her outside. They have a nice karma together for now.

Im always watching so we will see.

They are young still and not in the least bit interested in hurting each other.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Two pits can be fine together, they could be best friends and even littermates..

But when they hit that two year mark, everything can change.

I've seen it happen MANY times before.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I guess I leave my dogs alone together a lot more than everyone else. They stay in the backyard together alone all the time. But, I don't leave them back there when I'm gone only because someone could easily hop the fence and steal Tala. If I leave, Tala is crated and Yote either goes with me, stays inside, or stays outside. Sometimes they both go with me if it's appropriate. I have left them together in the patio for a couple of hours while I was helping my neighbor paint her house. They didn't do anything but sleep. I guess it would be a different story if I had two bullies, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree, as they get older ill have to monitor things close and see how I feel.

If they dont change nature they will be ok, but it remains to be seen. Id expect the change by the age of 1 year-12 months though.

If the male was dominant it wold be worse, but since she is I think all will be just fine. Things get much more shitty when the Male is top dog, not sure why but a good alpha female keeps things nicely balanced.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My pit (only 10 months) is crated. My German Shepherd stays out. My GSD likes to sometimes pick fights with my pit so they are never out alone!!!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Shadow is never left alone or unsupervised with my other dogs. He loves to play with my other dogs and they get along great, but I would not trust him to be alone. He's not a very dominate dog, but he's 1yr and 6mos old and things can change just like that. I'm not risking it.

My Great Danes are trusted alone together, because well totally different breed with no animal aggression in their nature. But I rarely leave them unsupervised either, I don't see it fair to have Shadow locked up while everyone else is roaming the house.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts