Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

We just adopted an EB. He would drink water all day. Sophie drinks water, but only a little throughout the day. However, Spencer will drink and drink and drink. He will drain his bowl and if I put more he will drink it, too. Then he's not as hungry throughout the day. I don't want to dehydrate him, but I don't think he probably needs to drink that much. Is that normal? How much SHOULD he drink a day?? Other than that, he's doing great. He's one and a half and sweet as can be. Sophie loves having a brother.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well it is difficult to judge if it's drinking too much, since we don't know how big your water bowl is, or how much is in it ;)
Drinking too much water can be a sign of diabetes and probably other metabolic disorders so it might be worth it to have some bloodwork done on the dog.
That said, sometimes dogs just drink more water than other dogs. For instance, Our GSD drinks tons of water but the dachshund hardly drinks any.
If you really are concerned, mention it to your vet and get the bloodwork done.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
msvette is right - excessive water drinking could be a sign of diabetes, so if it really does seem excessive, I would get that checked.

But I'm picturing an EB drinking a whole bowl of water, then lifting up that head, and half the bowl dripping out of those jowls. How much is he actually getting down? :wink: I'm kidding - it's just a fun mental image. :lol:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
But I'm picturing an EB drinking a whole bowl of water, then lifting up that head, and half the bowl dripping out of those jowls. How much is he actually getting down? I'm kidding - it's just a fun mental image.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What about a UTI? I think that may cause excessive water
drinking as well. Not entirely sure though. I'd have her checked
out just to rule our any health issues.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
My vet mentioned that dogs should drink about 1 ounce of water per pound. We thought Haus drank a lot, but at almost 70 lbs. that's a lot of water!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Spencer does pee a lot. In fact, he goes out and pees on everything. I guess I thought that when they've been neutered they're not supposed to be as inclined to mark their territory. I don't know how much pee that dog can hold! :lol:

Seriously, though, I have noticed that if we take the water away after he drinks what Sophie drinks (he's a bit smaller than she is) then he eats more and doesn't seem to be asking for as much water. But, he still drinks more, sometimes a LOT more, than Sophie.

Since we just got Spencer, I haven't contacted the vet for an appt. I'm not sure if the vet normally sees an adopted dog. Spencer was checked over thoroughly by a vet before we adopted him, and I even have the vet papers. The diabetes makes sense, and a UTI, since humans with them drink lots and, I think, pee a lot. But he seems healthy and not in pain or anything.

I think I will watch him closely, call the vet for advice, and see how it goes. Here's a picture of him.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would be careful about letting him drink so much after exercise, you know.. bloat and all.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Both of my dogs drink a ton of water! I was beginning to think it had something to do with the breed??? When I brought it up to my vet, he didn't seem too concerned about it. When they are outside, I don't only have a water dish for them, I have a kiddie pool that they drink out of :shock: !

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Deuce drinks a lot all the time. Sometimes he will drink the whole bowl and then turn around and throw it all back up. It is really gross to clean. It has the consistency of slobber instead of water. Very hard to get out of the carpet. I mentioned it to the vet once and he didn't seem concerned. Guess I should just keep an eye out. After we finish with all his surgery expenses I want to have blood work done to check for allergies and maybe I will have them check on diabetes too. It is unbelievable how much I learn here. When people talk about dogs I always have some input, they look at me like I am insane. I have so much knowledge now. Its great, and it helps a lot when something happens to my baby. I can just think back to all the great tid bits I get here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is he still growing, if so expect him to drink bucket loads. Alos is he teething? Again they will drink just for the sheer hell of it when teething to wash away the taste of blood and things from their mouth.

Combine the two in a pup 2-7 months and you can easily have a dog that looks to drink freakish amounts of water.

If worried check with the vet but its not that uncommon if your pup is that age, both of mine did and Moto still does although hes laid off a little now. Kaya drinks much less but shes smaller and growing slower. Hes shooting like a beanpole and his water intake is off the scale!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't want to say this and make you panic, but excessive water drinking can be a sign of kidney failure. It happened in our 8 yr old yellow lab, and age is a strong factor in kidney failure, and since he's only 1 and a half the chances are pretty low. I guess if you see your vet, suggest it and see what he/she says. Just wanted to throw it out. (Also, they say if you catch it early it's treatable, unfortunately for us, we were too late :cry: I don't want the same to happen to anyone else if I can help it)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.