Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few things about the CKC recently and it reminded me that I really don't know anything about that kennel club. The only thing I really have heard is to stay away from breeders who register solely with the CKC. I have also seen alot of BYBs advertising their pups as registered with the CKC. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on them. I'm referring to the Continental Kennel Club not the Canadian Kennel Club.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My girl is dual registered, one is with the CKC. I havn't had any problems with them or heard bad things about them. They seem to be on the up and up with me?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have always heard that you can register anything with 4 legs CKC. They have a list that goes on for days of dogs..some of which I have never in my life heard of. I dunno much about all that stuff really, but working at the clinic..I hear a lot from our clients. This is just "grapevine" though so don't qoute me or anything. LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, email them and see if they will register a Chug (Chihuahua x Pug) or a Puggle (Pug x Beagle).
If they will then stay away from them.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Led said:
Well, email them and see if they will register a Chug (Chihuahua x Pug) or a Puggle (Pug x Beagle).
If they will then stay away from them.
Chug? Is that for real? I wonder how much idiots pay for those "designer" dogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Kogecki: Caroline is registered with the CKC. The CKC is by no means a high quality registry. Their standards make it very easy to register a dog. All a "breeder" needs to register an animal with the CKC is either a) papers from any other registry, b) a verified lineage or c) a statement from two other people stating that the dog in question is purebred. As you can see, that isn't much of a standard.

The CKC lack of standards has made it very easy for BYBs to register there animals. It is easy to register any bully mix as an APBT or AB. On the other hand, these standards make it very easy for legitimate working kennels (kennels breeding for catch work or farm utility work) to register their dogs.

As far as not trusting breeders who register soley with teh CKC, I suggest evaluating the breeder and their work in depth, and make a decision on what you find

·
Registered
181 Posts
bttry01 said:
The CKC lack of standards has made it very easy for BYBs to register there animals. It is easy to register any bully mix as an APBT or AB. On the other hand, these standards make it very easy for legitimate working kennels (kennels breeding for catch work or farm utility work) to register their dogs.
But if a kennel is breeding solely for working ability, why would they worry about registering their dogs anyway? I would assume that, if they're breeding responsibly, they would only breed when they had a dog and a bitch with PROVEN working ability AND a list of pre-screened potential owners who were also solely concerned about the working ability of their potential pups.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of the AKC, but at least they've got breed standards, written by the breed clubs, which represent the ideal toward which breeders should be working. Or take as your model the Jack Russell club, which requires both a basic adherence to "type" as well as proven working ability (through earthdog trials) before a dog is allowed to be registered (and then breed).

CKC strikes me as willing to take the registration money from pretty much anyone, no questions asked.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In my opinion CKC just provides a place to register a dog. It isn't the most strict or best out there. To me registries are there to keep records of dogs and pedigrees. I honestly don't care if my dog is AKC, CKC, or what not. I care about the dog being a quality breed dog. There will always be dishonest people using any registry.

The atrocities that the AKC allows/promotes is bad enough that I find it funny that people turn their noses up at the CKC. At least the CKC doesn't hide what they are really about. IOEBA is a better registry in my mind than either the CKC or AKC.

·
Registered
181 Posts
rebelroseabs said:
Man o man you guys are mean!
Mean? Where? Kokegi asked for, and was given, honest opinions. Nobody stated their opinion as absolute fact, and no one was disrespectful of others' opinions. As far as I'm concerned, this thread was a model of civility!! :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
puppys with papers are worth more(to some people) than puppys without.so people breeding dogs that were not previously registered can easily register there dogs and get papers on the pups.the dogs are some times not purebred or not to breed standard or had limited registration from a reputable registry.ckc will register crosses(coca-poo-labradoodle-chug all or anything you could imagine)some times you have a quality dog/dogs that you dont know the background on and the dog may be breed worthy and you want/need to register them as foundation stock to start your own line of dogs then there are a few registrys you can do this with,afterall all a registry does is keep track of pedigree and supply you with puppy papers for the most part.some have tighter rules,some offer shows,training,information.i have no beef with ckc.it always comes down to the people/person standing behind the dogs..rs

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The Continental Kennel Club (CKC) was developed right here in Walker, LA. It is NOT just a doggie registry, but is actually a print shop where one would get birthday invitations, wedding invitations, etc. printed up. In an effort to make some cash on the side, they decided that they would start a dog registration business. They have NO interestes in dog breeds, nor in keeping them true breeds. The CKC is your club that registers Labradoodles, Matlipoos, Schnoodles, Goldendoodles, Chiweenies, & God knows what other kind of mutts people are breeding & want papers for so they can sell the pups for outrageous sums. The CKC also gives one the choice of WHAT they want to register their dog as regardless of what the dog's true breed (or lack of breed) is. For example, a person breeds their APBT to a English Bulldog. That person can then register the dogs as APBTs, EB's, AB's, or even OEB's all with the applauding consent of the CKC. Hence why many of your so-called "pit bulls" ranging in the 90-140lb range are all registered with the CKC. They would register a goat as a "pit bull" if you wanted them to & paid them the required fee.

No one here in southern Louisiana takes the CKC seriously & they are usually lauged at & scorned when representatives try to recruit new "members" or attend other events.

some times you have a quality dog/dogs that you dont know the background on and the dog may be breed worthy
So your saying that someone may have a mutt that they think resembles a certain breed & they like the way it looks so they want to call it something it is most definitely not & breed it all for the sake of the owner's wants? Since when is lying about a dog's pedigree, or unkown pedigree for that matter, & breeding it responsible? A mutt is NOT a bad dog, in fact I use the term in a loving way, but regardless, a mutt is a mutt is a mutt & is NEVER suitable for breeding. Their are plenty of good looking, impressive looking, & hard working mutts sitting on death row in shelters all across the country. There is NO excuse for breeding a dog with an unkown background.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, it sounds like you could register Chugs or even BullChugs with them. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a POS organization.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Led said:
So, it sounds like you could register Chugs or even BullChugs with them. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a POS organization.
LOL. If you pay them, they will send you a cheap computer generated certificate stating your dog is now "registered". :lol:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Miakoda said:
Led said:
LOL. If you pay them, they will send you a cheap computer generated certificate stating your dog is now "registered". :lol:
I find it funny that people with AKC pups think they can't end up with what is really a mutt.

A registry is just a registry. A place that keeps track of lineage for dogs.

The AKC lets LOTS of stuff fly that is against their own policies. At least you know what you are getting with the CKC. You get a registry that will register mixes as long as the parents are registered.

I don't see the problem because if an AKC breeder wants to pull the wool over your eyes he can. There is really no accountability with any registry. You have to find quality breeders. Regardless of the registry that is used.

Breeder quality and reputation is much more important than some AKC, CKC piece of paper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts