Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i give Patch supermarket treats? Or do I have to get premium treats too???

I feed my staffy California Natural and Innova.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Well treats are given sparingly, right? I think store brand should be okay, provided that Patch is getting quality nutrition at meal times.

Everyone has different advice/opinions though. I do feed my dogs normal store brand treats when I am training. I tried the whole "fresh fruit" thing, and I think my dogs actually LAUGHED at me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think that depends on what you are comfortable feeding your dog. If you read the ingredients on cheaper treats you will see they are all grains and filler even thought they say beef or liver...much like processed cheese food..not really cheese even though it has the word in its title. If you look at some of the premium treats they have nore organic items like brown rice and oatmeal (not corn and wheat like cheaper treats, which alot of dogs are allergic to) and actually have meat in them. My dog does not do well with processed fillers so I switched to boneless chicken thighs...I boil up a few and then dice it up and keep it in the fridge for a few days. I spend the same amount on this and all she is getting is meat..other that that I feed her natural balance duck and potato dog biscuits...only 2 ingredients in them..duck and potato..and they smell like french fries :lol:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I feed my kids about 3 or 4 BAR S brand hot dogs for treats every day. I figure they must be better for them and cheaper than dog treats also. sure has made big difference in their coats and dry skin.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I also use "people food" for Harley. I cut up hot dogs, after company's left I save any cheese left on the cheese platter for her, our left over Easter ham, things like that. I find when I save this stuff, I end up having more than I need for training. It's basically free, and I know exactly what she's getting.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
So hot dogs are not bad for them and won't cause their stools to be loose? Would they be okay for our Rat Terrier also? I agree that hot dogs would be cheaper than treats and my dogs would like them alot more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sure hotdogs are ok hotdogs as long as they agree with your dogs. I tried them for a bit but they made Trixie throw up...but she has a sensitive stomach. Alot of training classe use hotdogs and dogs tend to view them as a high value treat and really want to work for them.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Yes, I buy the meaty bones made by milkbone.
I also by scooby snacks for training as my pups cant handle hot dogs and I dont want them having any people food.
About once or twice a month I buy marrow bones and cook them up for them.
Store treats are fine as long as you dont over to it,thats why they are called treats :wink:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
By "supermarket treats" are we just talking like Milk Bones or something? I think those are okay when fed sparingly, just so long as your dog isn't sensitive to wheat or corn. There are better treats available, of course, but sometimes it's a matter of $$$.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When I use hot dogs, I slice them in half width-wise, then again.(So there's 4 long skinny pieces) Then I cut in quarters again. This makes alot of treats,and it only takes a second to eat, to keep the focus on training. Maybe I'm lucky, but Harley and Dakota (my bosses dog and Harley's best friend) both do well on them.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I sometimes buy supermarket treats for Bella and Remy, but not often. Premium treats can be so expensive! I like using hotdogs and the Natural Balance rolls that look like sausage, but since keep I them in the fridge I always forget they're there! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I feed my dogs a high quality dog kibble, give them vitamins, oil and Brewers yeast every day.
I get their doggie treat bones at the Farm and Feed Store. Similar to Milk bone but a little harder
to chew, good to release tarter from their teeth. I figure that they are being nutrionaly supplied and they are not allergic to wheat, so that is their daily treat. As a matter of fact, I have one dog who I call a "bone-aholic". He will do ANYTHING for a bone and will drive me nuts when it is time for them. :wink: We also give them cut up steak, hamburger meat, chicken, and veggies as treat when we have extra for FOUR dogs.
:lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHMACKOs

I've been giving Patch beef treats, as well as things like Schmako's and doggy biscuits.
when he's extra good he might get a doggy choc treat.

the way i see it, us humans treat ourselves with chocolate and snacks once in a while... so why should it be different for them?

i think im going to try healthy alternatives though, like rice crackers (as suggested earlier) and apples and carrots.

should i wait til he's a bit older? (he's only 12.5 weeks).??

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i give biz Premium Lamb Cuts from Old West Treat Company

found them at Pet Smart
he loves them and you can get a 3 LB canister for about 10 bucks

ingredients
Lamb,stone Ground whole wheat,lamb lungs,sugar,seasonings,cane molasses,natural smoke flavor,gum,salt,phosphoric acid,
potassium sorbate,garlic,sodiumacid pyrophosphate(acidifying agent)

whats the oppinion on these

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If you feed a good dog food then I wouldn't worry about what treats you give.
At such a young age though you have to watch what you give them.There belly's are new to these things and they may not be able to tolerate some treats so I would try one kind stick with it for a week make sure the poops are good and he isn't getting sick then go on to something else if all is well.This is what I did with buster cause his belly couldn't handle a lot at that age.
Carrots are a great snack.My dogs love carrots just dont give to many.There was a list of what fruits and veggies to give but I cant remember what they were.May want to scan through some threads to find it because some veggies were not recommended.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Biscanton said:
i give biz Premium Lamb Cuts from Old West Treat Company

found them at Pet Smart
he loves them and you can get a 3 LB canister for about 10 bucks

ingredients
Lamb,stone Ground whole wheat,lamb lungs,sugar,seasonings,cane molasses,natural smoke flavor,gum,salt,phosphoric acid,
potassium sorbate,garlic,sodiumacid pyrophosphate(acidifying agent)

whats the oppinion on these
My dogs looooooove these treats. I think they're a pretty decent treat. I'm not thrilled with sugar being an ingredient, but it's much better than by-products and soy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts