Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freedom just won't listen these days. We are always working on basic manners & with me hes great, with anyone else he won't give them the time of day. Walking on leash for me one pull he stops, with my daugther he is just out of control.Snipping at hands he just won't stop at all for any of us. I put on his leash & keep him next to me while we have company over to stop this & so far this is all that helps. I am really lost at this. I know there is a great dog in there just need help finding him again. Could this be his adolsent time he is maybe 8 mths old & just a perfect fit with our family. He & Liberty are so close. She is copying his bad acting more & more. Can any of you Please help guide me in the right direction. I so worried that this will lead to more negative behavior. Freedom had it really hard in the beginning & I am just not educated in this area. We all Love him. He is a big part of our family & I just don't know what I'm not doing right for him. So Thank-You all in advance. I have faith my answers are here.
Cathy & Freedom

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
HisLovie said:
Freedom just won't listen these days. We are always working on basic manners & with me hes great, with anyone else he won't give them the time of day. Walking on leash for me one pull he stops, with my daugther he is just out of control.Snipping at hands he just won't stop at all for any of us. I put on his leash & keep him next to me while we have company over to stop this & so far this is all that helps. I am really lost at this. I know there is a great dog in there just need help finding him again. Could this be his adolsent time he is maybe 8 mths old & just a perfect fit with our family. He & Liberty are so close. She is copying his bad acting more & more. Can any of you Please help guide me in the right direction. I so worried that this will lead to more negative behavior. Freedom had it really hard in the beginning & I am just not educated in this area. We all Love him. He is a big part of our family & I just don't know what I'm not doing right for him. So Thank-You all in advance. I have faith my answers are here.
Cathy & Freedom
join an obidience class, is the owners that need training :p

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I think an obedience class with a behaviorist (not just a trainer) is the best idea. You will learn how to teach your dog and assert your position as the dominant one in the pack. Your daughter should go to the class, too, because she needs to learn to assert herself as well (else Freedom will continue to walk over her). IMO, obedience classes are great fun for owners and dogs alike, and a good social opportunity for the pup.

And, yup - you've got a teenager on your hands! Expect her to push the boundaries, and be ready to do some extra training. Don't lose patience - you'll get through it!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i think it is more the fact that freedom has respect for you an not for anyone else. i would hazzard a guess that she sees you as the alpha and has decided her place is right after you and the rest of the family comes right after her. find yourself a good ob trainer and then make the rest of the family involve themselves, SERIOUSLY, in freedoms training. otherwise as she gets older the problem will only escalate

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Have the children feed freedom, making freedom sit and wait for her food, getting the children to pretend to eat from her bowl before freedom recieves it.

Children love teaching dogs and can be very rewarding for them both :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am beginning training with Freedom this weekend with a trainer. We are very excited. I think this is best for us. She works only with the Bully Breeds & has just one of her own. We had a meet & greet at a park today. She seems wonderful & Freedom really liked her. Is it possible for Freedom to know she will train us? When they walked up Freedom went straight to sit & meet new people, I was sooo proud of him. Abuot feeding, I seem to always be the one to do any type of working with my Bully's only tonight that changed. I always have them sit & wait, so tonight when someone else did it with them they wouldn't do anything until I gave them the commands. My family was hurt over this. I hope their eyes are open now to getting involved. If the dogs & I are going to play most of the family is sure to join us. On walks three of the kids always are with us. Lately we've been off for a walk about 5am, I was surprised the kids set their alarms to go too. I am shocked that the dogs only listen to my commands & need to change this soon. It's not safe for Liberty & Freedom to act this way. My eyes were also opened that I need to be a better more responsible person to my Bully's. I thought that Liberty & Freedom would learn basic manners & use them with all of us, Liberty will & Freedom just looks at them like he has no clue what is going on. I am egar to get started making things right.
Thanks for all your great input. That is one of many things I Love about this Forum,
Cathy, Freedom & Liberty

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Hope training goes well!

The rest of the family will learn from you how to train the dog, I'm going threw it atm lol! I'm always correcting my b/f and children..It's important you all use the same commands, same kinda tone of voice etc.

I'm thinking of putting a list up of what commands will get Roxy do what.....not only for them but for me too lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Training is going great with him. I wish it was this fun & easy to train the family.
It's like when I speak now he runs to my leftside to see what I want him to do. When any of the family say his name nothing, so we all have alot to learn. I'm going to use your list idea. Can hurt & maybe they will get it.
Cathy

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
attitude said:
i think it is more the fact that freedom has respect for you an not for anyone else. i would hazzard a guess that she sees you as the alpha and has decided her place is right after you and the rest of the family comes right after her. find yourself a good ob trainer and then make the rest of the family involve themselves, SERIOUSLY, in freedoms training. otherwise as she gets older the problem will only escalate
i agree 100% :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are loving being educated, today we were outside working with him leash with family, He is so good & we are now always consistance. It is amazing the big changes in such little time.
My hardest lesson is not to treat him diffrent due to his past. I learned today that he feeds on this feeling with me. So from today on he is just one of my babies I love, no special treatment.
Cathy, Freedom & Liberty
:D :D :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
HisLovie said:
We are loving being educated, today we were outside working with him leash with family, He is so good & we are now always consistance. It is amazing the big changes in such little time.
My hardest lesson is not to treat him diffrent due to his past. I learned today that he feeds on this feeling with me. So from today on he is just one of my babies I love, no special treatment.
Cathy, Freedom & Liberty
:D :D :D
So much travels done the lead from our thoughts. We have many people on our training classes with the large dogs, with dog aggression...but it most of the time turns out to be the owner that inhancer the suti by tensing up when they see another dog.

It all takes time, but I'm so pleased with our training, so rewarding when they actually carry out a command repeatedly! It's worth the patient and commitment.

Keep us posted and Well done!

(sorry bout typos etc, not slept much lol)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know it's early in training, I truely see a diffrent dog. The changes he is making are so great. His confidence is just running over. Now he walks around with a proud look, not just walking. This week we needed to work extra hard on place. It's was just like magic when he got it. I think that is my favorite of all. Also this week has been great with he & my daugther, he walks perfect today with her on leash. She is so happy, at that first pull & easy, he will look at her, & stay easy & keeping close eye on her. She Loves it.
Cathy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.