Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take Heidi over to my parent's house a couple times a week to go swimming because she loves it, and it makes her really tired! She's had a really bad summer for rashes and I notice within an hour of her swimming, the rash goes away. My parents have a saltwater system in their pool and I was thinking that maybe the salt was helping sooth her skin. HAs anyone ever noticed anything similar? I know that saltwater is supposed to be excellent for skin but I didn't know it was that good. Chico won't swim but when I take him over there tomorow, I'm gonna put the water all over him with a washcloth. He has horrible skin right now. Yeast, pustulles (sp?), hotspots, you name it. I feel so bad for him.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A salt water solution is often an herbal remedy for things like psoriasis and or eczema can't remember which one but yes it can be a soothing agent. Something else that might help skin is evening primrose oil, just make sure it's OK for dogs (don't see why it wouldn't be but then again I'm not a vet. I give it to my 5 yo and it gets rid of her allergy related eczema 100%. HTH...

Sarah

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yes~Salt water acts as a drying agent. It will help with a rash. However if the rash is caused from over dry skin, the salt water will help heal the itchiness and redness and any puss/bloody/moist spots. The dry skin does need to be fixed in order to stop the rashes from starting.

Here in Fla, people are notorious for taking their children to the Gulf to swim when they have chicken pox or mosquito bites.

It will help with healing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It has worked on Dixie in the past. We walk at the beach park, and she has swam when she has been rashed up and it did work well.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses. Heidi gets something that looks like heat rash. It's just tiny little red spots all over and they don't bother her much. But Chico has nasty moist yeasty skin with pustulles. I give them fish oil also and neither one ever seems to have dry skin. It's actually quite the opposite so I think the saltwater could definitly help. I put some on Chico today while at my parent's and he did seem less itchy but it's so hard to tell with him. One day he seems like he's doing pretty good and then literally an hour later, he's a bloody scabby mess! Poor guy. I am giving him some herbal medication specifically for allergies and it seems to help alot. We ran out last week and that is what sparked the last flare up. The stuff is $68 for a month supply. Yikes!!! But if iit will get him through this season in one peice, I will be a happy girl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts