Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found these glucosamine tablets on the net from an online pharmacy here in Australia, can someone please check this for me and make sure it will be ok to give to nelson for his HD? I don't know what i'm looking for and i don't want to give it to him without checking with anyone and then end up making him sick or worse. It seems good to me, it has 1500mg of glucosamine sulfate and 100mg of Chondroitin sulfate and the dog glucosamine tabs i've seen only have 500mg in each tablet. so i guess i just give nelson one tab per day instead of 3 if i bought the dog grade tablets?

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/page/shop/flypage/product_id/5438

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have read that generally dogs should take Glucosamine Hydrochloride (HCl) not Glucosamine Sulfate. I believe it is similar to ascorbic acid and ester-c. For humans it doesn't seem to matter if we use Glucosamine Hydrochloride or Glucosamine Sulfate, but about 40% of Glucosamine Sulfate will be sent out of a dogs body as waste.

Also stay away from anything that has added salts (ex: Glucosamine Sulfate NaCl or KCl)!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
From what I've been reading, large dogs with hip problems should start out on a 1500mg. dose of Glucosamine and 1200mg. of Chondroitin. So I think the vitamins you found are really lacking in the Chondroitin. It would be good to find one that has MSM in it as well. After you see some benefit from that dosage, you can taper down a little but it will probably take several weeks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks didn't know that :D

ok so how about this one? it is 1500mg of glucosamine hydrochloride
it says not suitable for ppl with seafood allergies, do dogs have seafood allergies?
http://www.completehealth.com.au/Aspx/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=5930

INGREDIENTS:
Each Tablet Contains:
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 1500mg

and this one has Chondroitin sulphate 4000mg and MSM 500mg. i also checked on a joint pill for dogs that they have chondroitin sulphate so this should be ok shouldn't it? can dogs overdose on chondroitin or MSM? becaue this one has a very high chondroitin content?
http://www.completehealth.com.au/Aspx/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=4529

INGREDIENTS:
Per 100g
Energy:Calories 334
Energy: Kilojoules 1400
Carbohydrate 87g
Dietary Fibre <1g
Protein <1g
Fat <1g
Potassium 300mg
Glucosamine Sulphate 5000mg
MSM 5000mg
Chondroitin Sulphate 4000mg
Vitamin C 1000mg
Citrus Bioflavonoids 1000mg
Zinc 40mg
Manganese 20mg
Copper 3300mcg
Selenium 300mcg

so if i get both of these then i should be able to give nelson both once a day? does that sound about right? if so he would be getting 5000mg of glucosamine sulphate, 1500mg of glucosamine hydrochloride, 4000mg chondroitin sulphate, and 5000msm. do u think this would be ok to give nelson? thanks sorry to be a pain but i really want to start him on these supplements asap and i just want to make sure i'm not going to make him sick by giving him this much. thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You can try Flex A min Maximum strengh it has all 3 in it at the right doses plus it lubracates the joints as well and the glucosomine is HCl , You can get this at and drug store like cvs or grocerie store this is what I use it works good

And yes some dogs can have allergies to shell fish but I have never seen one with these allergies
all of this stuff may have some sort of shell fish thats why they say that and some people have really bad allerigies to shellfish.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
From what I have read, GLucosamine sulfate is just as good, it just needs to be given in higher doses than glucosamine hcl because it doesn't absorb the same way. Since the second one has such a high dose, I wouldn't give the first product along with it. That sounds like way too much. I don't know if that would upset his stomach but it seems like it could. I would just get the second product because it has all three in it. It seems like you could probably just give 1/2 a teaspoon and still get plenty of a dosage too. I would ask your vet though, you don't want to over do it. My supplement that I use is for horses as well as dogs and they recomend 5000mg for a horse daily.

this is something I read from a website that has some good info on supplements: http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

There are many arguments about which form of Glucosamine is best. I have yet to see anything I find convincing, as most of the arguments are made by commercial companies in support of their own products. However, if giving Glucosamine HCl, it should always be combined with Chondroitin Sulfate for better uptake, whereas Glucosamine Sulfate can be given alone. It is best if supplements also include Manganese, which can help increase absorption.

this is some info from the hip dysplasia group I joined:
Glucosamine and chondroitin
Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate are naturally occurring substances found in
the connective tissues of the body, including the cartilage that covers the ends of
bones in the joints.

Glucosamine sulfate functions as the primary building block for proteoglycans, large
molecules in cartilage that give it viscoelastic (buffering) properties. When taken orally,
glucosamine sulfate is absorbed readily into the system and can be
traced to cartilage as soon as four hours after consumption.
Similar to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s, such as Cox-2 inhibitors),
glucosamine sulfate has been shown to have unique anti-inflammatory effects.
Additionally, in some laboratory tests, the supplement demonstrated a protective effect
on the cartilage as well. These studies suggest that Glucosamine sulfate may inhibit the
breakdown of cartilage and may have the potential to help build-up cartilage (2).

Glucosamine hydrochloride, another form of glucosamine available as a nutritional
supplement, is considered to be as effective as the sulfate form although there are
fewer completed studies to review. This hydrochloride form is more available to
absorption into the body, so a smaller dose delivers an equivalent amount in the
system.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh gosh i'm so confused! :(

i think i'm going to have to buy the ones for dogs to start with so i can get nelson on some supplements right away then i'll keep looking into the human grade ones.

i'm in australia so Flex A min Maximum strength is not a product we can get here in our pharmacies.is glyco-flex III stage III known as a good supplement over there in the States? i found this online vet but its in the US who sells it and it seems like a good price from the other sites i've looked at. is $47.50 for a 120t bottle sound like a good price for this brand? or does anyone else get their glucosamine online and can offer a site with a better price with the same or better brand? :)

http://vetmeddirect.com/i_015VS-9547.12_Glyco+Flex+III+Stage+III+120+Tablets.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts