Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were thinking of getting another American Bulldog, however we are not very familiar with bloodlines or pedigrees. They want $800 for this AB and they have a whole page with her blood lines, her name is scarlet. I was just wondering if anyone could take a look at this link and also go to the bottom of the page and click on the link to look at her pedigree and tell me if you think $800 is a fair price. We just want her for a pet. Any help you could give would be great. Thank you in advance. http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/4rocksolidambulldogs/page9.html

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
$800 is actually NOT expensive but yes I would ask what health test they do and ask what there health guarantee is which is a must.Also ask why she hasn't been sold yet,if there is any reason behind it or not just good to find out.Good luck,she sure is cute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did ask why she was not sold and they said that she was the top pick and they were going to keep her but she decided at the last minute not to. She said she was going to keep one from her next litter. If I do not act fast, she will probably be gone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
$800 is usually the minimum you'll pay for an AB pup, with decent lines, unless you are in good with the breeder. some ABs are being sold for 1200 or even 1500! :shock:

SS has some pretty good dogs, If she's only a pet, and you truely want her, then get her. You should find out about the tests though. NCL or PennHip. Also ask about the sire and dam's health, if they've had any problems, and a number even where you can contact them if you'd like to ask the many question. If this breeder has a problem with that, then they're probably hiding something.

Good luck! and she's a cute pup! Hope she makes a wonderful pet.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here is their website http://www.puppydogweb.com/kennels/ambulldog_cassaro.htm

They are not well known and have not produced any dogs with titles, they look to be a small BYB operation but the ped does have some good dogs in the 4th generation and a few in the 3rd but then I dont recognize any from there!

They look to be on the up and up as far as trying to ensure healthy pups this is what their site says (All pups will have their health certificates, NKC registration papers, shots and will be guaranteed to be free from worms or parasites) I would probably buy one if I was just looking for a pet quality dog!

SS has nice bully dogs with good hips but I have yet to see one of his dogs work...more of a looker IMO!

If anyone can prove me wrong and show me a link or pic or video of one of his dogs doing some kind of work be it ringsport, iron dog ect ect I would like to see it, I am not being sarcastic I just want to see some of his dogs working because he basicaly is working with the same line as my dog a Johnson x Painter hybrid except my dog is 5/8ths Johnson and his are 7/8-15/16 Johnson so I would like to see if they are too bully or slow or any other differences...basically I am doing home work...lol!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Neither link has anything in it that I would be looking for if I was choosing a breeder.
Lot's of hype, not much real detail or info.
Most of what they say on their website about AB's is simply not true.
Could be a good dog, but who knows?
I'd say you're taking your chances, unless you know the dogs or people involved.
There's plenty of good breeders in Florida that you can get a $800 pet quality puppy from - no need to rush!

·
Registered
21 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Here is their website http://www.puppydogweb.com/kennels/ambulldog_cassaro.htm

They are not well known and have not produced any dogs with titles, they look to be a small BYB operation but the ped does have some good dogs in the 4th generation and a few in the 3rd but then I dont recognize any from there!
I'd not support a BYB in any way or form. But that's just me.

They look to be on the up and up as far as trying to ensure healthy pups this is what their site says (All pups will have their health certificates, NKC registration papers, shots and will be guaranteed to be free from worms or parasites) I would probably buy one if I was just looking for a pet quality dog!
IMHO: This is not ensuring healthy pups. A health certificate is worth pretty much nothing. Just that the dog is is good shape that day at the vet. Who knows what could crop up down the line.
I don't get why, when it comes to health, ones standards should be lower for a pet than for a working prospect. Drives yes, health no.

SS has nice bully dogs with good hips but I have yet to see one of his dogs work...more of a looker IMO!
Really? I thought CD "doesn't believe in hiptesting", and therefore doesn't x-ray? I'd be very pleasantly surprise if you could back up otherwise. :D

If anyone can prove me wrong and show me a link or pic or video of one of his dogs doing some kind of work be it ringsport, iron dog ect ect I would like to see it, I am not being sarcastic I just want to see some of his dogs working because he basicaly is working with the same line as my dog a Johnson x Painter hybrid except my dog is 5/8ths Johnson and his are 7/8-15/16 Johnson so I would like to see if they are too bully or slow or any other differences...basically I am doing home work...lol!
His? He who?

To the OP:
I'd look for heath-testing if I were you. Cetainly hip, elbow and NCL as a minimum.
You're going to live with this dog for many years, it's better to wait for the right one than to get the first one that's available.
If you can find a pup from temperament-tested and/or working titles too, you'll have a better shot of getting the perfect pet for you.
There are usually pet quality pups from these litters.

God luck in your search for a pup!

·
Registered
175 Posts
AB price

I paid $700 for my AB b!tch. She is out of multiple titled and health tested parents and has an incredible show and performance pedigree. I honestly think $800 is a little much for a pet from unproven lines.

·
Registered
720 Posts
crackerbull said:
ss does not test hips and he is a she
http://www.ssbulldogs.com/litters.htm She has a guarantee though!

Something Special American Bulldogs has a two-year guarantee against crippling Canine Hip Dysplasia as long as the dog has not been bred. All genetic testing and x-rays to be completed or an evaluation performed at the age of 24 months. If the dog is found to be cripple from Dysplasia, the dog will be replaced or credit given on another pup upon written verification from OFA or Penn HIP. This information along with the x-rays and tattooed identification number of the dog MUST be sent to SS Bulldogs, as soon as possible for our veterinarian to confirm the diagnosis. This is a replacement only guarantee.

·
Registered
626 Posts
american bulldogs are supposed to be a working breed.unfortunatly there are alot of breeders that are more concerned about how big and how bully they look.i could care less about that crap.i hunt hogs 4-real in the woods here in florida and thoes ss and other bully abs that are pretty much oldes are useless as tits on a boarhog.you can buy a real american bulldog in north fl and alot of other places that are worked in the origonal form the breed was founded for(catching hogs/cattle ie-bulldog) for less then$800 and have a healthyer dog overall.i know alot of people are up north and dont have the access to hog hunting.you have to ask yourself -do you want the nut or the nutshell..rs

·
Registered
720 Posts
crackerbull said:
american bulldogs are supposed to be a working breed.unfortunatly there are alot of breeders that are more concerned about how big and how bully they look.i could care less about that crap.i hunt hogs 4-real in the woods here in florida and thoes ss and other bully abs that are pretty much oldes are useless as tits on a boarhog.you can buy a real american bulldog in north fl and alot of other places that are worked in the origonal form the breed was founded for(catching hogs/cattle ie-bulldog) for less then$800 and have a healthyer dog overall.i know alot of people are up north and dont have the access to hog hunting.you have to ask yourself -do you want the nut or the nutshell..rs
I like my bully hybrid he hits like a train, has brought down more than one decoy! I admit you can get too bully and then they are worthless but I like a cross between performance and bully, I have seen some performance type ambulls that have alittle more speed than my dog but they dont hit nearly as hard.

I guess it all depends on what you are using the dog for, I have seen pitbulls that was better catch dogs for hog hunting than any american bulldog.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your ISIS is very similar in looks to my Valley "CHOPPE

BergstromsABs said:
$800 is usually the minimum you'll pay for an AB pup, with decent lines, unless you are in good with the breeder. some ABs are being sold for 1200 or even 1500! :shock:

SS has some pretty good dogs, If she's only a pet, and you truely want her, then get her. You should find out about the tests though. NCL or PennHip. Also ask about the sire and dam's health, if they've had any problems, and a number even where you can contact them if you'd like to ask the many question. If this breeder has a problem with that, then they're probably hiding something.

Good luck! and she's a cute pup! Hope she makes a wonderful pet.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
First, breeders who advertise on puppydogweb or puppysites or anything like that (& the newpaper too) is nothing more than a byb & peddler.

And as far as paying for a "pet" quality dog, one should NEVER have to. A pet quality dog is a dog that does not meet the standard & thus is not a good representative of the breed. They have more than enough pet quality dogs awaiting a forever home in a shelter somewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.