Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I noticed what I can only describe as a bulge on Magnum's tail - it is about where a tail would be docked so pretty high up. It almost looks swollen - so I touched it and I can definately feel a hard bone there not in line with the rest of the tail - it sticks out under the tail so you dont see it sticking out but can feel it --- a couple times when I touched it she flinched - but other times she didn't seem to notice at all. I know some pits have "crooked" tails - but hers doesnt look crooked - its just - i dont know how to describe it - im just wondering if it is possible she broke a bone in her tail - probably because she smacks it against doorframes all the time. Maybe this is a dumb question....

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
It's very possible! Does it hurt her? Try pinching her below the bump, does she seem to feel it? If not, maybe her cord is either severed or compressed.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LuvaBULL said:
It's very possible! Does it hurt her? Try pinching her below the bump, does she seem to feel it? If not, maybe her cord is either severed or compressed.
Hmm Ill have to try that when I get home from work tonight - I'll try to see if she can feel anything lower than that

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It could get broken but I'd expect a break to be further down than that. You may want to have it checked just to be sure. Copper broke his once (my dachshund) but it healed up. It was further down, and he wagged it too hard against something.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked to my vet and I am going to bring Mags in tomorrow AM to have him look at it --- DAMN I dont have the $$$ for another major medical trauma!!!! :?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
bodazafa said:
I just talked to my vet and I am going to bring Mags in tomorrow AM to have him look at it --- darn I dont have the $$$ for another major medical trauma!!!! :?
I know the feeling! It gets quite pricey. It is possible for her to break it, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see what your vet says! Hope everything is okay (and i have my fingers crossed it's not too much $$$ to find out what's going on or to fix it!)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I know how it goes. Our dachshund went "down" in his back with a compressed disc and we ended up spending almost $200.00 between xrays and meds.
I don't remember what but the tail itself can have some problem or another, I want to say "tumor" but I honestly do not remember. That's why we brought Copper (same dachshund) in when he had the tail problem. His was down further, towards the tip, too.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
msvette2u said:
I know how it goes. Our dachshund went "down" in his back with a compressed disc and we ended up spending almost $200.00 between xrays and meds.
I don't remember what but the tail itself can have some problem or another, I want to say "tumor" but I honestly do not remember. That's why we brought Copper (same dachshund) in when he had the tail problem. His was down further, towards the tip, too.
Yeah well six months ago Mags tore her ACL and I dropped $1000 which I had to borrow from my parents to have it repaired!!! YIKES!!! I can't handle another major injury - this better be something simple to fix otherwise I am in trouble

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
bodazafa said:
msvette2u said:
Yeah well six months ago Mags tore her ACL and I dropped $1000 which I had to borrow from my parents to have it repaired!!! YIKES!!! I can't handle another major injury - this better be something simple to fix otherwise I am in trouble

I think these dogs should start going out and getting jobs to support themselves (and me!) for a change! :lol:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
peeblerelf said:
bodazafa said:
msvette2u said:

I think these dogs should start going out and getting jobs to support themselves (and me!) for a change! :lol:
Good plan - I wish Mags could model or something - bring in some good bucks - she has no problem doing dirty shots either - Doggy Playboy here we come!!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

LOL :lol: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maryserratos said:
Woot Woo!! Look at that sexy b-witch! Doze is drooling all over my computer screen now... :lol:
Thats cuz Dozer is a horney little bastard - you were just telling me yesterday he tried to eat the glass door to get to Cali!! LOL

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
maryserratos said:
Woot Woo!! Look at that sexy b-witch! Doze is drooling all over my computer screen now... :lol:
Well you tell Dozer he better have a credit card handy cuz it's 9.99 a minute for those pics!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
bodazafa said:
maryserratos said:
Thats cuz Dozer is a horney little bastard - you were just telling me yesterday he tried to eat the glass door to get to Cali!! LOL
LMAO!!! If you could have seen it!! It was so funny. You could see his little tiny front teeth trying to grip the glass!!! I was too busy laughing to even think of taking a picture!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Breaking the tail is fairly common..I have seen it happen a few times. It is not a major problem at all (unless of course it is completely severed with bone poking out) I haven't known anyone to bother with resetting and casting a tail..they usually heal up fine on thier own. It may always have a bump or a kink at the break spot, but unless you are worried about the way it looks, I wouldn't worry much at all.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carrie said:
Breaking the tail is fairly common..I have seen it happen a few times. It is not a major problem at all (unless of course it is completely severed with bone poking out) I haven't known anyone to bother with resetting and casting a tail..they usually heal up fine on thier own. It may always have a bump or a kink at the break spot, but unless you are worried about the way it looks, I wouldn't worry much at all.
The bone isnt sticking out of the skin or anything - I can just feel it bulging out a little - like one of the vertabrae is pushed off or something - I am taking her to the vet so he can look at it - but Im not gonna spend a lot of money to have it xrayd or set if it doesnt need to be - the tail doesnt even look crooked.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
maryserratos said:
bodazafa said:
maryserratos said:
LMAO!!! If you could have seen it!! It was so funny. You could see his little tiny front teeth trying to grip the glass!!! I was too busy laughing to even think of taking a picture!
Don't you hate that? Woulda been a great shot!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have one of those here, too. See her "come hither" stare?? lol

The worst is she lays like this and lets all our boy dogs sniff at her. I always tell her "BE A LADY Libby!!" But she doesn't listen (btw all our dogs are fixed!)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
LOL....nice pic! I think they all have those...I'm sure Roxy and Cleo could get into doggy playboy as well! the little tarts!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yep, a dog sure can break it's tail. Many times the tail will heal on it's own, but it's a very painful situation. Problems arise if the end of the tail after the break dies (meaning the circulation to it is cut off). In these cases, the dog will often chew on it to rid itself of this apendage it no longer feels & more often than not, severe infection sets in. This is when amputation becomes necessary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts