Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I feed kibble and every once in a while I'll mix in a can for a treat. I choose kibble because it's more economical (I'm feeding 4 dogs) and because I'd be afraid that feeding them only canned would rot their teeth. (Not sure, just my thought)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feed just the kibble. For me, also an economical choice with 3 dogs to feed. Also, I've never been a fan of canned foods. Don't like the smell and it's easier to scoop kibble out of a bag than open a bunch of cans.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree...

And no one wants that "juice" from the can all over their hands!

But even with a quality food, like Canidae, is the dry food capable of adding excess weight, more so than a canned food?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
I agree...

And no one wants that "juice" from the can all over their hands!

But even with a quality food, like Canidae, is the dry food capable of adding excess weight, more so than a canned food?
I don't know about "more so than canned" but it can definitely pack on the weight if you over feed and/or under exercise.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think that canned food is made up of alot of water. If you feed it exclusively, be preared to have to clean up soft stool.

I am not sure if the Canidae gives this recomendation but I have read on the cans of other dog foods that for best results it should be mixed with dry.

Also, canned is more expensive. Here in Canada, a can of Canidae is about $2.00. A 100# dog would require approx 5 cans per day. 10 bucks per day is alot of money to spend on dog food for one dog!!! However, US prices are probably less and if you have a smaller dog it wouldnt be so bad. Also, I have no ticed that Canidae canned food is not a watery as some others I have used...so maybe it wouldn't be bad?? Let us know how things go with the Canidae either way. I almost bought a bag of their kibble the other day when my store was out of Wellness, but I opted for the California Natural instead.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Just went and checked a can of Canidae I had in my cupboard (I buy all sorts of different canned food and mix it with the kibble) and here is what the feeding instructions say:

A can a day for every 20 lbs of body weight. Puppies may need up to twice the amount for the same body wieght, and nursing mothers up to 3 times.

To achieve a balanced diet and maintain firm stools, Canidae recommends a feed ration of 25% canned to 75% Canidae dry dog food by weight.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If anyone is looking for a canned food (whether to feed exclusively or to use as an occassional treat)that isn't stinky, check out Merrick! Their "homestyle chunks" varities smell like homemade stew. :) My dogs go nuts for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts