Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body here massage their own dogs? I give Sadie a massage twice a day, and Jaz gets one once a day.

I really don't know if I'm doing it right though. I was wondering if anybody here is experienced/certified in Canine Massage. I have been looking at some courses, but there are none in my area so I would have to take something online. Most you have to send in videos of yourself doing the massage techniques you learned on a dog. I have some websites and was wondering if someone could help me check them out. I have sent emails with questions to both. I don't want a cheesy course that just looks good on paper. I want the real thing, if you know what I mean.

http://www.treetops.on.ca/welcome.htm
This one is in Canada, so I wonder if I should jsut take it. Then I would be certified here.

http://www.equissage.com/therapy.htm

Thanks! :D

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Those both look good and I say go for it! But I did look at both the sites and i'm not gonna lie but didn't read everything about them, but it seems like there pointing more towards equine massage. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They both offer courses in both equine and canine massage. I believe both comapnies started our in equine massage and then latter branched out into canine massage. There is obviously a lot more $$$ in the equine side of massage. I had considered taking both, but I'm allergic to horses so I figured that probably wouldn't work. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the horses or the fact that they are around hay. I have major hay fever, I wouldn't even be able to walk into a barn.

OMG, there's a lot of books to buy, I can see how much these are going to cost.
~Veterinary Physiology and Applied Anatomy, A textbook for Veterinary Nurses and Technicians
~Dictionary of Veterinary Nursing, 2nd Edition
~Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology, A Workbook for Students
~Dog Anatomy, A Coloring Atlas
~Veterinary Nursing, 3rd Editio
~Dog Anatomy, A Pictorial Approach to Canine Anatomy

:shock:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
"carnio~Sacral therapy" We have a lady here who does this to the horses. And she gave me advice on massage for Dixie when she was prego. She has worked wonders on injured animals, she also does humans.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Message

halo said:
I do Reiki on mine & reflexology message But i took courses over a matter of years you could take a quick course but there is so much to it that it is hard to do it online. Its well worth it if you can find a hands on place that does it.
That is my problem, there is nothing close to me that offers any of these things. I could take people courses to get the basics, but animals are not people, also you need to learn how to work properly with them. People will just lay down and relax, a dog will not.

Equissage guarantees a max 12 hour return time for one on one phone calls. And on top of books there are videos to help aid in learning. My fear is that because it is at home, what if I do something wrong? I guess they know though. All the hands on testing has to be video taped.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Videos

The videos are good and you can't do no harm as long as you don't put a lot pressure on them there is a spot on the head if you stroke it gently will relax them and they will lay quiet but hard to tell on the computer how to do it. If you could find a good book with a picture of a dog in it thats like a chart and use it with the video you would be able to do it. another thing I use to calm them is soft music Reiki or meditation type music with lavendar scents Mine love it and after a few minutes they are all relaxed You yourself have to remain calm too so they don't pick up anything from you. another place you could just start with if they let you touch their paws
gently rub there pads and between their toes thats good for them too. just lightly message them. you can message the side of the back but do not work on the spine area you can go off to the sides of it. But not directly on it. Try working with the simple stuff first
the paws, the back side of the ears & neck, the chest area in small circular motions. You'll get the hang of it. in the meantime I'll see if i can find a good book to recommend to help you out. Give me a little bit and I look around.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much, that's awesome!

Right now we spend a lot of time on Sadie's hips. She has arthritis and massaging them really helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts