Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get mo to run on the mill. He loves to run, but wont on the mill. He just stands there. He is definately scared of it which sucks. How do I get him over his fear without creating more fear of the mill.

I try to bait him with kibble, which works to get him on the mill, and praise him lots when he does run, but for the most part he still just stands there.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
cannon said:
I cannot get mo to run on the mill. He loves to run, but wont on the mill. He just stands there. He is definately scared of it which sucks. How do I get him over his fear without creating more fear of the mill.

I try to bait him with kibble, which works to get him on the mill, and praise him lots when he does run, but for the most part he still just stands there.
I'm still new to the whole mill thing, and I know attitude uses them a lot so she(?)'s definitely a better source of good info than I am, but here's what I've found works for me so far....

Maddi freaked out at first on our mill. I think it's just a process. Now I can get her to at least stand on it and take a few steps, but once she tells me she's done, I don't push her any further. I think she'll eventually come around, but it will take a while.

Chance - well, when he gets on and just stands there, I put his food dish (with a bit of kibble in it) about 5 feet away on the floor in front of him and just walk away. Before I know it he's running his little butt off and he gets praised and gets a little handful of food. What really gets him going is if I warm up a little bit of leftover chicken or whatever from the night before, let him smell it and then set it down out of his reach in front of the mill.

edit: Uhh...although walking away from Mo if he's scared might be a really bad thing, heh. I don't think I'd try that.

Also, I've read that 10 minutes on the mill once a day is enough. Probably even less that that at first. I think a 2 minute run on the mill where he actually enjoys it is better than 10 minutes where he's nervous.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 minutes of running would be a record.

I have been taking it very slow for him. I can sense his fear though and know that even taking it slow and in quick 5-10 second jogs I am risking souring him to the mill. I feel I am right on the edge of ruining it for him.

I will try the chicken thing. all I have used so far is dry kibble, but he gets it each time he runs.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
first off, take your time. raise the back of the mill so it doesn't go so fast. hell raise it so it doesn't go at all! and then just feed mo on it. get to the point where he has no problem getting on and off and then roll the mill by hand, with you right beside him tellin him what a good boy he is.
two full size phone books will bring the mill up so that it won't move at all . as he gets more comfortable you can remove books. make sure he is ALWAYS hungry b4 you use the mill . and always save the special treat that he likes best 4 the mill.
some dogs take longer than others the trick is to be patient. however long it take for him to be comfortable with it even if it is just being in the same room with it and not on it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts