Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone elses pups love carrots for treats?

Ive been feeding Mason frozen carrots as a treat and he loes them just double checking tomake sure it's not bad when fed consistently... He maybe has 3 or 4 small carrots a day..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I don't see why they would be unhealthy or dangerous for them, but I've never tried them with my dogs. Shelby is a picky eater & probably wouldn't touch them, but Koda is still a pup so he eats anything that don't bite back! :lol:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Deuce had a few before, he likes to chew them when they are cold. He doesn't really eat them though. He just chews them and leaves little pieces everywhere.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I fed mine carrots all the time. I buy the little baby carrots...and freeze them too. They loved ice so I figured hey lets try some forzen veggies. They only cought on real well to the carrots but they love them. I feed about 4-6 a day and have been for months and they seem fine.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My sister-in-law has a Chihauhau that the vet felt was putting on a little too much weight because of treats. He suggested instead of cookie treats to give baby carrots and frozen green beans. They have been doing this ever since.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
baylee loves carrots!!!

we only feed them to her whenever we are munching on them but they were absolutely great when she was teething :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The beta-carotene found in carrots is very good for mammals in general because it 1) improves eyesight by converting to vitamin A, which forms a dark pigment in the eye called Rhodopsin that allows them to see in dim light and improving the effectiveness of the light-sensitive part of the retina, 2) it is a powerful antioxidant that eliminates free radicals responsible for the onset of cancer, heat disease, and muscular problems; it basically lowers the chance of cancer.

In other words, they're a very healthy dog treat. :D

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can a dog get kerotin poisoning if fed too much?? Just curious cause that was the only BAD thing ive heard soo far but everyone here seems to praise carrots... All I know is my little guy loves them.. Ive even sort of trained him to sit if he wants a carrot..lol now just to get him to do it WITHOUT a carrot lol

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Obelisk said:
can a dog get kerotin poisoning if fed too much?? Just curious cause that was the only BAD thing ive heard soo far but everyone here seems to praise carrots... All I know is my little guy loves them.. Ive even sort of trained him to sit if he wants a carrot..lol now just to get him to do it WITHOUT a carrot lol
I think you're referring to Vitamin A poisoning or hypervitaminosis A, which only occurs when the liver's vitamin A storage is filled and the excess vitamin A has no where to go. The excess will enter the blood stream, where it becomes toxic. So, vitamin A poisoning only occurs when extreme amounts of vitamin A are consumed, or when there is a physiological problem with the liver that prevents vitamin A from being stored there. This is relevant because beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A. However, beta-carotene is a pro-vitamin, which means it is only selectively converted into vitamin A. The body will only convert enough beta-carotene to vitamin A that is necessary, and will stop long before toxic levels are reached. So, raw vitamin A is dangerous in high levels, but not the pro-vitamin form of beta-carotene.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts