Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a balance between the two and is it possible for one to excel in the other?

There are people who say that if a dog excels in catch work, that it should never or could never be used in PP work and vice-versa. Basically the amount of prey-drive brought out in PP work is too much for a catch dog to have (you want a catch dog to only catch, not to attack it's prey while hunting) and a catch dog won't have enough prey drive to work in PP. I've seen this discussion come and go on other boards without a real conclusion.

Does anyone who frequents this board think it is possible to have a dog that is versatile with balanced drives? Or would you say a breeder, if breeding working dogs, should have one goal in mind only?

If you think it is possible to find a balance, where and how is this achieved? Are there people breeding for an overall dog that is versatile in all working aspects (where it comes to work that a bulldog can do) or do you find that you either go with one or the other? Courage + defensive drive with a bit of prey drive, or all balls and tons of prey drive? I know that in several lines you can find dogs with varying drives. Opinions on any of this? Or is it hit and miss / guess work with many working lines out there?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have heard of people doing both with thier dogs and I myself had a dog I was training in ScH who had caught a few small hogs (training) as well as the neighbors runaway roping steers! Personally, I think she enjoyed the catching more than the Sch, but she was still all business with both.

I'll be honest, i really don't have an answer for you..I have never done advanced levels with either to make a real educated comment.

I think it boils down to the dog...some dogs (as people) will be blessed with being able to be good at multiple things (the all arounders), while others have thier niche with only certain tasks...example...I know some dogs that love to catch game (ground squirrels, wild turkey, etc.) but have no desire for bitework....others that love bitework, but can't stand to pull..some who love to pull but don't want to chase a ball, etc. You may see dogs that do all of the above( they want to please thier owners), but really only excel at ceratin things..make sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts