Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have cats with their bully breed? We have two cats, and I was looking for some strategies for the two interacting safely. One cat is very skittish, and runs when she sees Zeus, which invokes his prey-drive tio chase, and the other stands her ground and hisses, which Zeus backs off of most times. However, if Zeus recently attacked her (trying to play, in his mind) and it was too aggressive for my taking.

They have been seperated, almost exclusively, for fear on my part. I have let them be around each other, if I have Zeus on a leash though. That lasts about 5 min.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have a cat whom Buster loves to torment. When Buster came to us we introduced the two and every night I would sit with the cat while my hubby sat with Buster and we figured this would work but just the other day Buster had the cat's tail in his mouth and other paw on the cats back, luckily I heard all the commotion and got there in time but I truly don't see these two ever being close.Buster has a close eye on him and it's an eye that cant be trusted :wink:

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
I must be some kind of miracle trainer or REALLY lucky...definitely likely the latter. I have two male bulldogges, one female, dog-aggressive bulldogge, and two brave cats. They all cohabitate together very well. I've never had a single incident...knock on wood. The cats sleep on the same bed with the dogs, no problems. When my dogs are outside, the ONE cat will walk up, rub against them, lay down and voluntarily spend time with them.... She'll even go up and "play" with the neighbor's dog (which is old, half blind, and half deaf), WHILE he's on a leash w/ the owner, and rub against that dog and the owner.... It's really quite amazing actually.
I have no suggestions for you, it just happened to me by pure liuck.

~S

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Roxy's leaves the cats alone, I have to remind they are not there for her pleasure and entertainment....I use an empty water bottle with a few pebbles in, when she goes near the cats I shake it in her face. She hates it!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I adopted a 6 year old Maine **** in March. I have an 11 month old high-strung Pit Bull. The intro did not go well at all :lol: After about 2-3 weeks the cat would start coming into rooms where the dog was. Slowly but surely he got used to the dog. Now, they both sleep in my bed, the cat goes where ever he pleases. Of course, Boss tries to play with him, and most of the time the cat will just lie there. He'll bite Boss and hit him (but doesn't use his claws anymore!) but if he's really getting mad he'll just leave. Sometimes Boss will chase him, but I just tell him "no." And he'll stop. Your dog and cat should be fine, as long as the dog listens to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have two 11 yr old indoor cats who still have their claws. Pippi has been with us for about 6 months now. It's kinda funny to watch her with the cats, its almost like she knows they are the boss. She will lay with them while they eat their food, give them kisses, and sometimes try to play trap the kitties. They arent to keen on the kisses or playtime, but they will just go off to their own space if they need to.
At first, I kept them separate. The cats had two rooms to call their own, and Pippi wasnt allowed in there. I think that helped at first, although now Pip is allowed to go in and she does fine with the cats.
I hope they can find some neutral ground. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson loves his kitty friend (actually have 3 cats). They sleep together on his bed and the kitten love to attack his paws. He holds kitten down with his paw to play and she bites at his nose, it is really sweet. But he's iffy around other dogs (on his leash) but loves his cats.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well Josie has 2 adult cats 1 male & 1female. When he first came to live with us the cats did not like him at all! It took nearly a year for them to accept him. No the female "Trixie" loves him best of buds, the male "Stanley" is still the boss. Josie has mellowed out with his temperment around the cats, he's not as bounsy. A month & half ago I found 6 new born kittens, Josie along with my adult cats help to raise them (I did lose 4 due to them being sooo young when they lost their mother). It will just take time and patience, do keep an eye on both your dog and cat(s) the cat(s) can do just as much damage as the dog can. Good luck on referring (?) the boxing matches!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have a 10 yr old male cat who gets along great with our 3.5 yr old male AB. They've been friends since the beginning and even play/tease each other w/o ever getting into a physical fight. They often sleep near each other.
But our female AB always tried to treat the cat as a live squeaky toy - they never fought but Fergie would pin the cat to the floor with a heavy paw, or chase him around the house and I would have to intervene before it got ugly! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 2 cats with brady and he will chase them sometimes, but doesnt realize they dont wanna play, but hes getting better and the cats are getting better with him, its taken 4 month but one of our cats which hates dogs is getting better with brady..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had 2 cats already when I got Halrey. :dog: The acted pretty much the same way yours do at first. One ran, the other stayed to fight. Now, 6 months later, the cat who ran is not at all afraid of Harley. He eats out of her food dish with her. he rubs on her, and sleeps in the same bed. The other cat, the fighter, still doesn't like Harley, and will hiss or swipe at her if she comes too close. We bring Harley to my parents every weekend, and their cat has drawn blood from Harley's face multiple times. Harley knows the cats belong to us, and that she is not to mess with them. She still chases Maximum, the cat who ran, but if she catches him, she slams him to the ground with her paw, and that's it. My hubby used to try to break up the "fights", but personally, I think that's kind of a dumb strategy :scratch: . We both work, what happens if we're not there? Instead, I made it perfectly clear to Harley the house belongs to me :queen: , the cats belong to me, and if she wanted to get along in this house, she must get along with everyone in it. Mostly I did this by holding my cats often in front of her, and letting her see the bond I share with my cats. Harley is of course well trained, and doesn't question who the leader is in our house. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but it works for us.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 11 year old cat and she is the queen of the roost.. Titus used to try and chase and pounce on her and every now and then he will still get a wild hair up his butt and try and do it again.... normally our cat will let out a loud warning when he gets too close when Titus is in one of he playful moods and if I hear that I tell Titus to "Leave It" and he will calmly walk away. When Titus is calm our cat will come up to him and rub against him and such, I just make sure she has a place to get away when she does not want to be bothered... I guess just some obedience training with your pup so he understands "Leave It" or "No" and you should be fine :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had no hope at first . . . . as the cats hid every time they saw him. They are slowly coming around now. I will just give them more and more (controlled) exposure and hope for the best. Zeus getting older should probably help too.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
We have a cat, but she had to move to my mom's... Shelby would always chase her & torment her, but just playing in her eyes, and when we got Koda he would mock what Shelby did, and that poor thing just looked so stressed all the time! :( So my mom has her now, with her fat pug, and she's happy as can be! It's hilarious though, because when we come over to visit we almost always have our dogs with us, and when she sees our truck she darts inside & hides until we leave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2 maincoons and a small tabby ( 3lbs and full grown) and no problems at all. They will all play out in the yard together, and they full on play. The cats will even try and chase my bullies down some times like tag instigating them. I have caught Washington,,, the small tabby...sleeping with Brodey and Savannah all curled up. But both Brodey and Savannah have been around them since they were puppies which Im sure has a lot to do with it.

If you ever have problems introducing or getting 2 animals to mix try:
1.) petting the new animal with a wash cloth and letting the dog smell the scent of the cloth and get used to it.
2.) introduce them through a screen door, but holding them so they dont go through the screen.

Both of these have worked when I have friends dogs stay with me who have been either the only pet, or have not been brought up with alot of socializing.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
We have Whiskers, an 11 year old fuzzy-wuzzy cat. All the dogs love her and I think it is because she is so fuzzy and cute. She looks like a stuffed toy. Clara, my apbt, loves to nuzzle her nose into the Whisker's fur and try to get her to play. The cat is smart - she knows not to run or make quick movements because this will bring on a chase. They all co-habitate together and I have never had any problems except to keep her food put up where the dogs cannot get it and her litter box secluded for the same (yuck :tongue10: ) reason. It took Whiskers about a month before she felt she could trust Clara enough not to kill her. Clara is not aggressive with her she just wants to play with her. If Clara were aggressive with her, I would be sure to keep them seperated as I would not be able to trust Clara with her.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well Moose lives with 5 cats (was 7 but 2 passed away from old age) and loves each and everyone of them. Moose was raised with one of my male cats (he found us about 1 week after we got Moose and he was 6 weeks old) so I'm sure Moose thinks of him as a litter mate and then Moose raise my other male cat Storm. This was a Hurricane Katrna kitten 2 days old.
(little black spot on Moose's back)All the other cats he loves but he does get excited when they run but he doesn't hurt them. As a matter of fact all my dogs all get along with the cats. There is no other way to live in my house.

·
Registered
54 Posts
lol :D
yes...forgot to mention that we have to keep litter box behind a baby gate -not sure what I will do when cat is too old to jump the gate.
And cat food is on the bathroom counter...otherwise kitty will go hungry.
Love the pic of the kitten sleeping on dog's back -so sweet!

·
Registered
451 Posts
hhaimerl said:
lol :D
yes...forgot to mention that we have to keep litter box behind a baby gate -not sure what I will do when cat is too old to jump the gate.
And cat food is on the bathroom counter...otherwise kitty will go hungry.
Love the pic of the kitten sleeping on dog's back -so sweet!
Yeah, Boss finds the cat poops to be delicious :pukeright: So, I gotta keeps the litter box where Boss can't get to it, same with the cat food.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts