Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so let me get right to it as I am really curious to what every ones answer's will be.

Yesterday we went out on a hike we came across another family who had a dog who was NOT leashed and ran right up to us.My husband held onto Molly's leash and I had Buster's. Meanwhile this dog came right up to us circling us, well my dogs were going nuts.Buster was barking, hackles up and pulling like mad to get to this dog.My husband said I should let them sniff one another but I refused and asked the owner to please come get his dog away from us which he did.

Should I have let Buster go up to this dog and sniff him
By keeping Buster back from interacting with this or any other dog am I sending a bad signal to Buster could I cause him to have dog aggression buy not letting him interact with them?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Keeping your dog under control in that situation was more important that letting them sniff each other. I don't see how it could cause aggression, in my view you did the right thing by keeping your dogs under control.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
My thought is that it was a good time to practice "sit and stay". I do not like my dogs sniffing other dogs because I do not know what the other dog might have and I do not know how the other dog might take it. It could start a fight and has. I think you did right, but maybe have used it for the sit and stay practice for a time more needed in the future.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If Buster was barking and his hackles up you did the right thing by keeping him away. It's just nature that some dogs do not like other dogs. There is no reason to force them to try to be nice. It would have taken a split second for Buster to grab that dog had you let him "sniff" him. Buster getting older and maybe this is just the road he's heading down. I would be cautious with him in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You did the right thing! You showed your a good, responsible owner. And Im glad you called the other owner over to get their dog! Buster and Molly were probably on the defensive anyway, by that point so I doubt any introduction would have went smoothly. Now if the other owner had their dog leashed then I might have tried to introduce them.

Tell hubby he was wrong! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts