Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

CC has hives agian!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  moomoo 
#1 ·
CC has hives agian!! She gets hives if she drinks Pepsi! I know why is my dog drinking pepsi, Well I have kids and they are messy kids, and my son spilled his pop. Well CC cleaned it up, And she got hives, All over! Well I just got them cleared up, and she went and ate candy that my kids hide under the bed! and It gave her more hives!!!! I have her on a no wheat, no beef food. Does anyone know something that will help her inching? thanks.

#4 ·
Maybe try getting some hydrocortisone cream, the kind you'd put on bug bites. That should help with her itching, just don't let her lick it off.

And I refer to it as soda pop.

#5 ·
LOL all my students make fun of me calling it pop! Poor CC! I have Brodie on all kinds of wheat free food too, he seems to get itchy really easy. However, he eats all sorts of candy, and stuff my girls drop under their beds and on the floor under the dining table and he never gets hives :( That wouldnt be too fun. . . He DOES get bad acne around the mouth though.

#6 ·
My vet has said I can give Benadryl for hives or other allergic reactions. 1 mg per pound...the pills are usually 25 mg each and then you could also try the liquid (not sure how many mg per teaspoon, but the package will say).

My first AB had 'skin issues' (we think it had to do with being outside in the grass) and we gave him Benadryl anytime he was itchy...it helped alot and made him very sleepy. Sometimes I only gave him half a dose so it wouldn't knock him out :)

Oh...and I live in the south...around here, some people refer to ALL soda/pop as 'coke'. It really bugs me :p

#7 ·
Give her Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl). The dosage is 1-2mg per lb of body weight (i.e. a 50lb takes 2 25mg tablet but can take 3 if necessary) twice a day.

In fact, I encourage everyone to keep diphenhydramine on hand as it can be a lifesaver not only for yourself, but for your dogs one day. Bee stings, insect bites, any sort of allergic reactions be it vaccine related, food oriented, or superficial (hives) can range from mild irritation & itchiness for your dog to anaphylactic shock. Benadryl is the first drug your vet would reach for in the event of these cases so that's why I say it's a must have drug for people & pet owners alike.

#8 ·
I agree Benadryl, and it does come in a liquid form. And beleave it or not I even beleave it comes in bubble gum flavor no joke she might like that! Also, to releave some of the irriation you can make a wash out of baking soda and hot water (it will cool by the time you are ready to apply), dab on with cotton balls. Good luck

#9 ·
The bigges problem with the liquid form for dog's this size, is it would take almost an entire bottle for a single use. :p The liquid is preferred of course for smaller dogs (dogs under 15lbs), but for bigger dogs, the tablets are the best route to make sure the dog gets the recommended dose.

#10 ·
My AB was always getting hives from something. We gave him benedry and sprayed him with a product called EQyss Micro Tek Pet Spray. It stops scratching, itching and yeast odor instantly. Helps it heal faster. I keep it on hands at all times for any type of hive or bite. You can get it at petedge.com for the cheapest. Here is the actual link that will take you right to it. I also have the shampoo that works great also. http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=3561

Good luck!
Tina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.