Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so happy. As many of you know CC has major dog agression issues, well we went for a walk today (ass usual) and we pass this porch with another pit bull tied out to it.
cc started her crap, brking grawling and pulled toward the other dog for a secound. I told her to sit, witch she did, still whinning with heckles up, and told her to look at me, which she did(got some dried lamb lung for listening) I told her don't mind him, and just like that she stay looking at me, I told her to heel, she did, only whined once more and I said look at me she did, and walked nice never looking back!!! I'm so proud of her(I know she needs alot more work) but it's finally working, about 5 mo ago whe would have gone crazy pulling and being all mean! Yaaaa CC

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Congrats !! There is nothing better than when all that hard work pays off :wink:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Good Job Devin. I can imagine how much work it must have taken.

I went to visit a friend last night, who owns a PIt/Mastiff mix. Poor boy was all wound up, so I took him for a walk. He's extremely dog-aggressive, and some jerk-off let his dog-aggressive Pit out in the fenced yard just for ha-ha's :roll: What an idiot. I realized too late the importance of proper foot attire while walking big powerful untrained dogs. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Go CC Go CC! Good girl! Excellent Job with her too!!!!! It's not so easy sometimes for dogs to ignore other dogs! I'm glad she's doing well keep up the good work with her! :D

nanniesrock said:
I realized too late the importance of proper foot attire while walking big powerful untrained dogs. :wink: :lol:
I've been there!(Not with Legend) Since I'm on the small side and my GSD was very strong. What seemed to work was to sit back on my butt on the ground. Well didnt realize I was already in the grass and it was wet and muddy. And well she pulled me up and I went skiing through the grass! LOL :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Know that feeling, althoug Sheila was a bit easier so your victory seems a bit sweeter. I guess I caught Sheila early enough with her just beginning to acknowledge other dogs with her hairs on end, so ended it real fast and snapped her out of it. Now I walk her by where I know there are LOTS of barking dogs, and when she goes to look I just give her a calm Don't do that and a very very small correction on the prong (basically just let her take a step and let it tighten, I don't give her a pop correction) and she turn and looks at me and walks right on by. Sometimes I get her to laydown in front of a fence that has yapping dogs. the best is seeing other people wrestling with their dogs on leash while you just walk on by with your dog just staring at you!!!!
Keep up the good work CC!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good job and it does take time. I've been working with Storm for months now and it's great when you see the improvement happening.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Yeah for you and CC!
I tell ya, Orson is so much easier to control and getting him to
ignore other dogs after I learned his pinch collar was on too loose.
I took out 2 links, now it fits properly.
So when he sees another dog, i just give the leash a jerk
and the collar does all the work.
It's a miricle, best tool for dog-aggressive dogs, IMO!!!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the prong collar works, but not when it came to other dogs. I have been working on look at me command, with treats. and it seems to help alot when it comes to other dogs. When she comes even in earshot of anotherdog she starts whinning and thats when I would start with the look at me, which has been changed to "at me." I kinda use the same mindset that you would use on a two yr old. Destraction, It seems to be working swell! instead of paying mind to other dogs, I have a lamb lung!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I so need to take on board this advice...

I don't usually take treats with me on walks... maybe i need to start doing this.. especially since patch's recent bout with the small white fluffy down the road.

the trainers at obedience school say we should not train with treats...

i get so confused.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use whatever motavates her, sometimes it's a toy or food, but when it comes to anther dogs it's got to be food, It's getting easier to grab her attention if she knows she gets something good whenever she pays attention to me. when she is paing attention to me she isn't thinking about whats around her. I just use what works. If it doesn't work I try something else, Trail and error thats my method.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts