Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the ASPCA website talking about here?

Vaccinations
- Puppies should be vaccinated with a combination vaccine (called a “5-in-1”) at two, three and four months of age, and then once annually. This vaccine protects the puppy from distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza. A puppy's vaccination program cannot be finished before four months of age.
- Rottweilers, Doberman pinschers and American Staffordshire terriers/pit bulls should be vaccinated until five months of age. -
- Do not walk your puppy or unvaccinated dog outside or let her walk or sit on the floor of an animal hospital until several days after her final vaccination.
I have only heard of two sets of shots, 6-8 weeks old and then 12-15 weeks old. Did I possibly under-vaccinate my pom?
That is all my vet gave me were the second set of shots. I don't want to call him and sound stupid.

I only give her the rabies one every three years, none of the others and she is perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This sounds an awful lot like breed sterotyping. These are "urban" breeds who have a higher risk of parvovirus. Medically speaking a dog is a dog. I'm not sure what they are getting at.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
As I understand it, you vaccinate repeatedly as a pup because of the mom's immunity that is passed along to the pup. That immunity wears off by 4 months, and the vaccine kicks in, but you vaccinate before that in case it wears off sooner. Perhaps those particular breeds tend to hold on to mom's immunity longer, so to be safe you vaccinate again at that point. Just speculating...... :-k

With my fosters, I begin vaccinating between 6 and 8 weeks, then vaccinate every 3 weeks until 4 months. Then at 6 months, I get the rabies done and start HW prevention.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I vacinated Moose at 6 weeks then the vet did it again before 4 months. He got his rabies at 4 months. Just took him in for a check up and rabies. He needed his boosters because he received his last set of shots so young that my vet suggested he gets a booster of all the shots then he is protected. He also told me now he won't need the booster for another 3 years like with the rabies shot. So I think the ASPCA is wrong. IMO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts