Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We have a 7 month old AB with a serious case of the scratchies. My first suspicion is that it is food related. We have been giving her Benadryl with little success. The question is what in her food she could be allergic to.

Her breeder fed the puppies Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy food which we stuck with until I read up on food's and found out this was a poor quality kibble. We had never noticed a problem though until we switched to Merrick Puppy Plate. Not sure if this started the scratching but it did give her the runs so we switched again to Evo. Her poops are better but still have the constant scratching. I cross ref'd all three foods and the Merrick and Evo are chicken based (and turkey) while the Nutro was beef and lamb based. Anyone have this kind of scratching problem or a pup they found was allergic to chicken. Thinking about trying the Evo beef but not really sure if this is the problem or not.

Could a lower quality food be a solution? Some people say the Evo is to high a quality for puppies sensative systems. Is she still a "puppy" at seven months. I really am at a loss but can't stand to see her suffer like this. She has been to the vet and it is not mange. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Chapps is pretty much a walking allergy...we have figured out (through trial and error) that he can't tolerate chicken, lamb, wheat and corn. He is therefore only placed on a duck and potato diet, or a salmon and potato diet. He's is on the brand Fromm..and it is really working well for him.
I have been through the ringer with him...He's been on Nutrience, Nutros, Science Diet, Wellness, Blue Buffulo, d/d (vet food)...the list goes on!!
If a dog has allergies, chicken is at the top of the list. Lamb isn't too far behind though, but not as common as chicken.

Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It may be an environmental allergy. If you've tried different meat sources with no change and the Evo is grain free, so probably not a grain allergy. Maybe try her on duck or venison?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Andrew said:

We have a 7 month old AB with a serious case of the scratchies. My first suspicion is that it is food related. We have been giving her Benadryl with little success. The question is what in her food she could be allergic to.

Her breeder fed the puppies Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy food which we stuck with until I read up on food's and found out this was a poor quality kibble. We had never noticed a problem though until we switched to Merrick Puppy Plate. Not sure if this started the scratching but it did give her the runs so we switched again to Evo. Her poops are better but still have the constant scratching. I cross ref'd all three foods and the Merrick and Evo are chicken based (and turkey) while the Nutro was beef and lamb based. Anyone have this kind of scratching problem or a pup they found was allergic to chicken. Thinking about trying the Evo beef but not really sure if this is the problem or not.

Could a lower quality food be a solution? Some people say the Evo is to high a quality for puppies sensative systems. Is she still a "puppy" at seven months. I really am at a loss but can't stand to see her suffer like this. She has been to the vet and it is not mange. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's the thing, if you have a dog with food intolerances you want a simple kibble. You know; meat and sweet potato or meat and brown rice, etc. You went from one busy kibble (lots of stuff, different proteins) to another busy kibble (lots of stuff, lots of different proteins).

Many dogs have issues with corn and soy so look to avoid those.

If your pup is in a serious allergy cycle she is now hypersensitive and probably needs a short dose of prednisone to break the cycle - it's like with asthma; if you have one attack then your lungs are hypersensitive and you'll have more attacks unless you interrupt the inflamation cycle with a short course of corticosteroid (like prednisone). A short dose won't hurt your dog but it might help (depends on what your vet says of course).

You can also consider BARF or homecooked. Anecdotally alot of people with allergic dogs swear by the results they get.

Paula

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart is allergic to chicken. I had him on a chicken based food when he was a puppy, but he always had mushy poop. After awhile, we figured out it was the chicken that was his problem. We finally switched to Solid Gold Wolf Cub which is bison and salmon meat based, and ever since he's had nice firm "loaves." :D

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I went thru same thing as ChappsnHolly..tried diff. foods none of which worked
for his breakouts so now he's on potato and duck (DVP). No more allergy bumps...from
food, now he'll still get them after rolling in grass!!

If allergy free food works, watch out for the treats he gets, those are also loaded
with grains and soy and bad stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts