Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there something I can use at home to get Tank to stop chewing stuff he isint supposed to? He has chewed on the sliding glass door frame, the wooden bench, ect ect... I swear he is half termite :roll: I saw some spray you can buy but it was like $10.00, some bitter apple stuff.

Another thing is he keeps digging the same hole over and over again. I filled it up and packed it with dirt 3 times today andf he keeps digging it up :x

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Don't allow the dog free access to the home until he can be trusted not to chew.
Which costs more, a new door frame or a $10.00 bottle of spray?
Whenever a dog does something "bad" it's the owner's fault period. Crate when he's alone, supervise when he's out of the crate.
Get him a good chewie and redirect every time he chews the wrong things. We like Nylabones, but be sure to get the right size for your dog.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
tons of chew toys, he's bored when he's outside find thing for him to do. hide treats in your yard, a hanging toy to tug. keep his mind busy. pups are like children they always get into trouble whan they are bored.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a retriever and a staffy both major chewers. :shock: The new thing today was the gas hose on the bbq, let's just say hubby is far from impressed.

I've tried 2 different sprays and found neither worked for my pair. With the holes a lot of people swear by putting some of the dogs poop in it and covering very lightly. Dogs don't like to dig where their poop is.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Stormy said:
I've tried 2 different sprays and found neither worked for my pair. With the holes a lot of people swear by putting some of the dogs poop in it and covering very lightly. Dogs don't like to dig where their poop is.
I missed the digging part. Poop in the hole works,CC's a digger!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I make "puzzle boxes" for Harley when she's bored :roll: She's a chewer ... Take an old cereal or tissue box, put a treat inside, and tape shut. Sometimes I put 2or 3 boxes on inside another. Keeps her busy for awhile..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Instead of buying a 10 dollar bottle of spray you can just make a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice which does the same thing. I've used to stop buddha from whining and chewing things (Especially his indoor leash), as he used to be quite the baby whenever he didnt get his way.

If a spray doesnt work you could always get a shock collar and shock him whenever you catch him chewing something he isn't suppose to. You need to ease him into this with shock collars though, and teach him first that the shock is a correction or else he won't know what is going and might get confused by the shock.

Do you have a springpole in your back yard, if not you should think about getting one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisa said:
He never chews inside the house.. This is out in the back yard..
Where are you when he is in the backyard chewing stuff?
either at work or running errands. He honestly is inside ALOT more than outside.. I know he chews because he gets bored, but he has TONS of toys to chew on. I'll try the vinegar/lemon juice mix.. He has a thing about eating plants and wood...

Gotta love him.

Jeremy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put him outside for like an hour while we ate, this is also his feeding time. Looked to see what he is doing. Here is his summary. Ran laps around the back yard, played with his several toys (chew toys, assortment of balls, rope, bedding from his dog house) ran back and forth along the fence line with the neighbors dog, he loves this. every so often, 2-3 minutes he check Both back doors to see if he can see me. Splashed in a mud puddle for a while (he is mostly white mind you :roll: ) Even tried to chew on the corner of the house (Brick house).. He is such a goof ball. He is obviously bored, but I walk him almost daily (30 minutes) and play fetch with him daily. I also have a 3.5 yr old son who plays with him all day in the back yard.

Bulldogs will be bulldogs I guess :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.