Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone??

Is it possible that my AB can have a chicken allergy?? Chief has had chronic ear infections and a red irritated belly for some time. The vet suspects it's a food allergy. Herrecently suggested that I buy a food with a single protein and single carbohydrate. I formerly fed her California Natural's Chicken Meal and Rice since she was a puppy; she's two now, but she was getting mild ear infections and red belly. My local food supplier suggested maybe it is a rice, corn or soy allergy. I switched to Innova Evo which did well for her weight and coat, but her ear infection and red belly became worse.Apparently, this food has whole chicken components..so my food supplier thinks this may be a chicken allergy especially beacuse her infections are more severe with this food.

I just recently am transitioning her to Sweet potato and Duck by Natural Balance, but she doesn't seem to like it at all. Also I notice a difference in her fur not being as healthy.

Any hints or suggestions?? If it's a chicken allergy i would like a food that is healthy for her, but that she will like eating. The TImberwolf brands look interesting such as the Dakota Bison.

Thanks for any help,
Tabatha

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
there are different foods for allergies, try natures recipe venison formula, It's inexspensive and It doesn't have chicken in it they also have a fish formula.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
A lot of vets will try to switch the food first because that is the easiest thing to control. I went through the same problem with Chico for about a year and we tried several diferent foods. It's very frustrating. In order to see any results, you must feed the food for a minimum of 8 weeks with no treats or anything else. It turned out that my dog doesn't have food allergies at all but he has problems with yeast. In order to control that, I had to get into a whole routine. The ear problem and the reddish belly sounds a lot like it could be yeast problems. Through all my trials with Chico, I learned that food allergies are quite rare with dogs. The do have a tendency to develop intolerances to foods that have been over fed but true allergies to food are very rare.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yes, some dog's are allergic to chicken. I'm beginning to suspect such with Bella.. she doesn't rash out, but her poo is very soft, even on Innova puppy.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Mason cant have poultry based foods because out of the 3 I have tried his poo was soft and runny pretty much all the time...So since the poultry was the common thread I found a food that doesnt have poultry based ingredients and since then he has had firm stools again and all is well.. I think every dog is different

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Chapps is allergic to chicken, lamb, wheat and corn...he is on Fromm, salmon and wild rice and he loves it. I can only wash his bedding and towels with hypoallergenic baby detergent for gods sake!! lol

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Many dogs have a chicken/poultry allergy. It is one of the most common food allergens along with beef, wheat, sunflower oil, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Thanks everyone for all ur input...We'll see how she does on this Natural Balance Sweet potato and duck..she seems to be eating more of it...for awhile she was picking out all the Innova...lol!!

If any other food suggestions/brands that fall along this catergory..please suggest them!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.