Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be getting into it with someone about this...

so I know they are bad, but does anyone have any written proof about how they put an uneven amount of pressure on the dogs neck? I tried googling it and didn't find anything... I am horrible with key words to bring up what I want though

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'll try and find something. But an easy demonstration would be to tell them to put a choke collar on around their leg (or their neck :evil: ) or something and then pull it. And person with sense of feeling will be able to realize that it puts pressure on one point, where they intersect.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i use choke collars on both my dogs.

don't hate me.... i was very cautious about buying them. i don't like the chain chokers, i bought this cool nifty cloth type choker. it's padded in the right areas and is only as tight as you make it.

i like the chokers cuz i have better control of the dog and there's usually no way of backing out of them.

please don't hate me....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not going to hate you at all!! sounds like you did the research... i havent seen these ones with the padding but it sounds like they are very different from the all chain ones like you said you didn't use, those are the ones i am talking about when i said harmful

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think the negative stigma around these collars is way over rated. I do agree that when used on an untrained or poorly trained dog who pulls hard at the lead when it is being walked that it could be dangerous. However, if used as a correction device like it is supossed to I don't see any issues. The only problem I find with these types of collars is that many bull breeds have a high tolerance to pain or discomfort so a correction from a choke is often not enough to get the "point across" if you know what I mean. If they are used correctly, and are effective with a particular dog, I don't see a problem with them.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Kate,

i got mine at PETCO, i just looked online and i can't find it. i will continue to search to help you out.

when i get home, i'll take a picture of it and post it. :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Lisa said:
if used as a correction device like it is supossed to I don't see any issues.
That is what they are supposed to be used for but I think most people use them as an anti-pulling device. I think when they are used for pulling they can really hurt a dog. If they pull and then stop due to the tension or choke, then there isnt any threat in using them. But like you said Lisa, I dont dont think most untrained bullys will stop pulling and will almost choke themselves out.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
pictures

here's a few pictures of the choke collars i got for my AB and EB
i hope you can see where the pad goes around the throat and it is adjustable from the back...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Hey snarky, that is a martingale type collar as opposed to a choke. They dont put pressure on a single point like the choke does and it is less likely to do damage to the dogs neck if he/she constantly pulls. Looks comfy :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts