Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a dog inhale their food as fast as Daisy does at every meal. It is like she uses her mouth as a vacuum. About once a day she will get one or two pieces of kibble caught in her throat and I basically have to give her what looks like the Heimlich Maneuver to shoot it out. I use baked food that says not to pour liquid over it to soften because it does something with the citric acid in it or something along those lines. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hoss said:
I have never seen a dog inhale their food as fast as Daisy does at every meal. It is like she uses her mouth as a vacuum. About once a day she will get one or two pieces of kibble caught in her throat and I basically have to give her what looks like the Heimlich Maneuver to shoot it out. I use baked food that says not to pour liquid over it to soften because it does something with the citric acid in it or something along those lines. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?
Yoshi used to hoover his food until I turned a bowl over in his dish so he had to eat his kibble around it. Some people talk about using rocks, but that scared me - suppose he hoovered the rock. So I'd put a bowl in his dish and then put his kibble around the bowl.

Paula

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Another suggestion that my vet gave me, is to spread the kibble out on a cookie sheet so the dog can't inhale it all at once.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Try adding about as much warm water to their food as you would put milk on your cereal. Takes them about twice as long to eat it, ensures they're getting a good amount of water every day and I think even helps prevent bloat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
Try adding about as much warm water to their food as you would put milk on your cereal. Takes them about twice as long to eat it, ensures they're getting a good amount of water every day and I think even helps prevent bloat.
I thought that sort of thing would ecourage bloat... making the meal larger and therefore expanding the stomach even more at mealtime... no?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If youre gonna add water to the food, break up the meals into smaller portions, and feed throughout the day, or at least 20 min apart, so you can see how full her belly gets. If you are worried about bloat, you can kennel her for about 30-45 min after eating to prevent her from running/rolling which can lead to torsion because of a full stomach.

If you don't want to add water to your baked food, you can add (if you are comfortable with it) a whole egg to coat the kibble and help it slide down better. I add about 1/4 lb of the "satin balls" recipe mixed with a little water to make a 'slurry' to slow down my Giants gulping. (I use 'satin balls' because she is on the thin side, that this helps put on weight)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Now that I look around a bit, it seems that there is a lack of concensus on this. Some say to mix dry food with water to prevent further expansion in the gut, while others say to prevent dogs from drinking immediately after eating.

What most of the articles I read seem to agree upon is that there really is no known, consistent prevention method for bloat :?. Quite a few suggest feeding at least two small meals instead of one large one and limiting activity immediately following feeding, as well as preventing your dog from eating too fast. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to go on.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use the rock method..not little rocks, but rocks about the size of your fist or palm of your hand. One or two in the dish, and the dogs have to root around and get a few peices of kibble at a time. My AB's are calm eaters, but my EB inhales everything..rocks in his dish have helped tremendously.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have a breed (Giant Schnauzer) that is very prone to torsion, and while each dog is different, (thus there being many opinions) restricting activities after meals, giving smaller portions for each meal can help with prevention. Adding water to kibble doesnt make it any more likely to cause bloat (it's gonna swell in the stomach anyway), and can help with slowing the dog down from gulping, which is also a culprit of torsion. There is a question, comment or post about bloat and/or torsion on my GS forums at least once a week. 2 dogs went in for surgery this week.. and the comments are all about the same... small portions, restrict activity after meals...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts