Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooooo proud and I cannot take any of the credit! My husband did it all. You cannot even imagine how much of a breakthrough this is for him!

As most of you know, Chopper has issues with other dogs. He's not aggressive per se, but he's very dominant and doesn't take lightly to being around other dogs. (except for my own) Well, Scott has been working diligently with Chopper since last year. He'll walk him past dogs (in their yards) instead of avoiding them. Recently, he found this little Husky girl tied out front around the block from us. They walk past there everyday. Last week Chopper got all riled up out front of the house where the Husky is, so Scott put him on his side and made him stay there for a few minutes.

Last night (I wasn't there...I get too nervous :? ) they went for their walk and the Husky was out. The owners happened to be out as well and stopped Scott to ask about Chopper. My DH has been trying something different with Chops. Instead of tensing up on the leash when he sees a dog near (bracing for the struggle) he's been keeping the lead loose and just quickens the steps to keep him focused along with some quick pops of the prong.

Anyway, as he standing talking with these people, he kept the leash loose. Chopper sniffed at the dog (the dog was on a tie out) and after a few minutes lost interest. Scott said he lay down in the grass at his feet! Then the other dog showed interest in Chopper so Scott let him get a little closer til they were nose to nose! Choppers tail was wagging and his ears were back! Scott said he even got close enough to lick her. I'm so proud of both of them for all the hard work!!

Now, does this mean he's "cured"? Of course not! Would I let him go up to any dog? HELL no! All I want is to be able to walk past dogs without a big scene. I want to have dogs walk by the house withou WW III breaking out in my living room. We're getting there! :hello1:

Thanks for listening. I couldn't wait to tell everyone! :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
That is good. It is a lot of hard work, but it's worth it :)

We have alot of dog agressive dogs in our OB classes. Being calm and relaxed around Chopper will help, nice loose leash <<try saying that a few times :lol: In class he makes the aggressive dogs walk around the other dogs on a leash, when they start to bark, quick yank on the leash and they walk off in another direction. They have improved.

Good Boy Chopper!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
=D> YEA CHOPPER =D>

That is great news.Your hubby must be so proud as you are.
All that hard work is paying off.
Give chopper a bone form Buster and I :D

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Congratulations to Chopper and to your husband for being so diligent. Not easy
training against impulse. Very proud of Chopper for remembering his manners.
:D

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! It has been such a battle with him. Lots of trial and error to see what works best I guess. Scott jokes now that Chopper has a girl friend! :lol:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's wonerful.

I have the same struggle with Dix.

And yes, trying different things has really paid off.

I am glad for you.....keep on it!

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Kasco said:
Thanks guys! It has been such a battle with him. Lots of trial and error to see what works best I guess. Scott jokes now that Chopper has a girl friend! :lol:
Hey doesn't it always take a women to get these "males" to straighten up and fly right?
You go, Chopper because she sure sounds like a "little hottie".
:D

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Awsome, can I send Orson your way for some magic
to be worked on him?? :wink:
I am also trying to do the same with him, if i notice a dog ahead
we just quicken the pace and I act like nothing is going on. Sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesnt.
And no, i dont think he'll ever be cured also, but just to be able to walk him and
not have him act like the public thinks pits should (trying to attack, even tho he's not pit,
people can't tell difference).

Way to go!!!!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Oh, i also had a breakthrough with Orson couple days ago..
he didn't bark or attack tv at all when I watched dog whisperer (and
it was an episode about the pack, so LOTS of dogs).
He was even watching the dogs on tv, but not concerned!
I thought it was a miricle!!!
It's the little things :wink:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OrsonDogge said:
Oh, i also had a breakthrough with Orson couple days ago..
he didn't bark or attack tv at all when I watched dog whisperer (and
it was an episode about the pack, so LOTS of dogs).
He was even watching the dogs on tv, but not concerned!
I thought it was a miricle!!!
It's the little things :wink:
Hey, you have to start somewhere! Baby steps! :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That is quite a feat congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Oh Choppers is such a good boy. I know your DH is feeling really good about himself. My DH tries to train moose too. Like some people said it takes time and well we have the time as long as we are here. Moose does great around barking dogs BUT sometimes that little devil dog goes on his shoulder and tell him to attack the fence so he does and then the little angel dog pops up on his shoulder and tells him NO NO so Moose attacks the fence then in 1 second plops down and looks at us as to say "the devil made me do it". He knows better but sometimes can't help it. We are still training.

Anyways once again CONGRATS on Choppers progress.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
debs said:
Oh Choppers is such a good boy. I know your DH is feeling really good about himself. My DH tries to train moose too. Like some people said it takes time and well we have the time as long as we are here. Moose does great around barking dogs BUT sometimes that little devil dog goes on his shoulder and tell him to attack the fence so he does and then the little angel dog pops up on his shoulder and tells him NO NO so Moose attacks the fence then in 1 second plops down and looks at us as to say "the devil made me do it". He knows better but sometimes can't help it. We are still training.

Anyways once again CONGRATS on Choppers progress.
LOL Moose, you nut! :lol:

Thanks everyone for your support! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts