Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I are just starting a new clicker obediance class. I was just wondering if anyone in here has tried this with there bully. Speaking with the lady that teaches it she says she has worked with everybreed and has had some amazing results.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I do clicker training with Tala, and it is very effective. It's a simple concept; associate the clicker with reward, and then use the clicker to get the dog to obey commands. Works great on stubborn bullies. :D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I want to try clicker training with Bella. A lot of people use other forms of marker training such as saying "Yes" when a dog does something right, but I find I have a hard time keeping the tone and volume of my voice consistent, so I think a clicker would work well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Clicker is great for bullies!

Hi, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this thread made me get off the couch and register! I would definitely try clicker with your dogs - once they get the "click/treat" connection, they really start to enjoy training!

We adopted Chyna, our APBT/Boxer(?) mix, in 2001 - she was a year old, had obviously been well-loved, but had ZERO training (DH and I referred to her as the "brindle ballistic missile")!! I got involved with a local dog training club that uses all positive methods (clicker and "yes" pretty interchangibly) and she's really come a long way. Last fall we got Ozy, a Sheltie/something mix, and he's been all clicker from day one. He'll probably test for his Canine Good Citizen at the end of the summer (new rules - dogs have to be at least a year old now), and then I hope to do agility with him. Chyna plays at agility in our yard, but she's just not reliable off-lead (or in large groups of dogs...).

I would recommend getting "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller and Karen Pryor's "Getting Started" clicker packet if you're training on your own.

I use the clicker to teach new things, because it's more precise, and when they're particularly clever add in a "Yes!" and bonus treats.

Okay, this was more info than probably anyone wanted...

Lisa

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Clicker training is the bomb. I use that alot I even carry one with me you click they respond . Once they associate the clicker with a treat you are all set and it is easy to. Mine come everytime I click that thing Thats how I taught them to come when called.
They will respond good now even without it cause i used the commands when i did it it But I still keep it close by. I couldn't believe a simple little thing like that can work so good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maxine hates the clicker. She sees it and goes to hide under my son's bed. She never given it a chance to be associated with a treat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can muffle the click by keeping your hand & clicker in a pocket or wrapped in some cloth. Or there are a variety of clickers on the market - some have a lighter noise than others. My cousin lost her clicker and substituted a click-top ball-point pen!

Of course, this is only useful if you're actually interested in clicker training Maxine.

One mistake I see a lot of people make is "pointing" the clicker at the dog. It's NOT a remote control!! :lol:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I don't like clickers, but that's just me. I want my dogs to associate my voice with commands and rewards. I know it is helpful for many people, and I do hear people raving about it. We were taught to use clickers in Heaven's puppy class, but I just felt weird using the same training method for my pit bull, as the next person used with Fifi the chihuahua. Some of those toy breeds need a little extra help in that department, LOL... my dog is bright enough to know "good girl" means she did something right. :lol:

(I'm gonna get stoned by all the chihuahua owners now... sorry I had one once, and it had to be the most slow learning dog I have ever known. A year later that dog was still peeing on the rug!)

·
Registered
181 Posts
SidFinster said:
I snap my fingers instead of using a clicker. Works reasonably well.
I frequently forget my clicker when out walking, so my dogs both know the "horse cluck" as a secondary marker!

I think the mistake many people (and trainers!) make with clicker (or "Yes" or whatever) is confusing the marker with the reward. The "click" (etc) is not a reward - it marks the exact moment that the dog is doing whatever it is that you want. So it tells the dog - "Yes - that right there is exactly right! Now you get rewarded for doing it (via treat or pat or verbal praise or playtime)" Using a verbal marker (yes, nice, good boy) is doing basically the same thing, but a lot of people (like me) have trouble keeping their tone consistent, so the clicker is more precise.

And the clicker is really only used for LEARNING or refining the behavior, not ongoing. Chyna doesn't get clicked for any of her basic obedience work anymore, but if I'm teaching her something new (eg. to do the tire jump I just introduced), I'll click for it. Also, if we're working on more advanced obedience or refining a move, I'll use the clicker so she can descriminate between the sloppy sit that doesn't get marked and the precise sit that does.

Ozy still gets clicked for pretty much everything, but the rewards are getting more variable (started with all treats, now phasing out to praise and pats for regular work, treats for stuff he's still learning, and play for "hard" work like stays).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yep

I agree I bearly use it anymore , they come to the commands , i do carry it just incase I have to renforce something but they come when called and they But for training it is good. Same as treat training once they got it you slowly give a treat every second or third time. They work work hard everytime knowing there is a treat in there somewhere but not everytime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the click for maintenance of learned commands, but on a random basis. When Redhead is first learning a new command, he gets clicked all the time. After a while, the clicks start to disappear, although never entirely. For instance, Redhead knows that "sit" means "sit". Once in a great while, "sit" also means a treat.

Again, this seems to work reasonably well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Exactly!

SidFinster said:
I use the click for maintenance of learned commands, but on a random basis. When Redhead is first learning a new command, he gets clicked all the time. After a while, the clicks start to disappear, although never entirely. For instance, Redhead knows that "sit" means "sit". Once in a great while, "sit" also means a treat.

Again, this seems to work reasonably well.
Basically, we're creating little doggy gamblers - every once in a while they get a treat for obeying. So, like the old lady at the slot machine, they'll keep plugging away thinking "maybe this time"!! Little junkies...

I should have been more clear - while I generally don't click to MARK Chyna's sit (for example), I will randomly reward her for obeying. Then again, sometimes I'll break out the clicker and do some refreshers - going for faster response time or more precise positioning. It's funny - when I first started training, she'd check to see that I had the treat bag attached to my belt. Now as soon as I pick up the clicker (or even go to the basket where it's kept) she's all attention. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to agree after a few classes we are really starting to get some progress with my boy and it really is working to control him alot better, thanks for all the posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC never got the clicker thing, she would rather hear me say good girl then hear that clicker sound. Everytime you take the clicker out she wants to eat it!!!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Loki said:
What exactly is a clicker and where do you get one?
A clicker looks like this:

and basically what it does is when you push down on the metal box it "clicks" and the dog assosciated that with "i did my job right, now i want my treat" and then you reward.

Personally, the clicker has worked wanders with us as far as agility training goes. It's helpful because it let's the dog know when they've done an obstacle correctly. If Abby, let says, enters her weaves poles wrong, I will not click and will make her do them again, when she does them accurately, I click and treat. It's a very simple processs, and also works well with obedience.

Just to clear things up, some people think it is a substitute for giving treats, at least that's what I thought when I first bought mine. But when I was going to agility classes, my trainer cleared it up for me. So always always treat after you click.

[/img]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts